Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Boosting My Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    M.T.S.
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone, I am needing some help with a computer repair and servicing business that i set up in september. my problem is lack of customers, i was wondering what is the best way to get my business noticed?
    I have sent out and posted flyers in my town, i have business cards, and a website.
    Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi, I noticed you said town rather than suburb… are you located in a regional area? I’ve found regional areas to be much more susceptible to word-of-mouth. Of course this doesn’t help much when you’re trying to get the business started!
    Car decals / printed polo shirt is another avenue, as it may trigger a conversation with someone about your business… then word starts to get around etc..
    Gav

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Too much emphasis on electronic media and social network sites these forums of advertising work well once established.

So put your Polo top on and door knock. Don’t sell just let a lot of people know that you are around. At each point drop of your flyer with contact details. What I would like to see from you would be an holistic maintenance IT system. Not just doing repairs but solving headaches for business owners and home uses.

I have an IT client he got big quickly…be careful that you grow at your pace.

Good luck..

Melanie Miller Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Join a local BNI chapter (http://www.bni.com.au) – it is a referral group that meets one a week. People either love or hate BNI. I personally love it as it got me my first few clients. My chapter has had three guys in three years, they get so busy they leave!

Then… get out and start knocking on doors! If you wait around for your marketing to kick in you might be waiting for a while. Flyers are great if someone happens to need your service on the day the flyer is delivered but usually end up in the bin after that!

Good luck!

Melanie
    http://www.agent99hq.com.au

M.T.S.
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thanks everyone for the replies, you have been very helpful. Yes easypeas i live in a little country town, it only has 1500 people. when i first established my business, i had alot of local people and business owners tell me that there was only one other person in the town who done the same kind of work, but to my surprise 2 weeks after registration i found out there is 6 other people lol, but i am the only regisitered person, the others are only doing it for pocket cash. i loved the ideas of door knocking and polo shirts, but first i need to find out how much the permits are to do that, as the local council requires it. will keep you all informed as to how things go. thanks again everyone.

Daniel

Stuart Ayling
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Daniel, great advice from others about getting out and about in your local area. However when you meet people make sure you’ve got something of value for them (usually some type of information). Dont just rock up and say “I do computer repairs”. Otherwise you’ll just be compared with the ‘pocket cash’ repairers you mention who I guess will be charging lower prices.

Understand the problems you solve for local people. Are your prospects businesses or individuals? Problems, expectations and price points will vary accordingly.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

[HTML][/HTML] “i loved the ideas of door knocking and polo shirts, but first i need to find out how much the permits are to do that, as the local council requires it”.[HTML][/HTML]

Hi Daniel I believe that you maybe comparing your business to that of HAWKERS. Your shire/council puts these Hawker Policies and by laws in place to protect their local registered businesses -YOU. The laws and policies aim to stop outsiders coming in and skimming and extracting the profits from the local community. It is thought that every $$ spent in the local community circulates at least 7 times.

So confirm if you wish but you need to be pro-active and as mentioned by myself and others you will have to demonstrate why they need your complete service.

Suggestions: any qualifications. what experience u have. Help desk and what’s offered and cost. Turn around time. Set up office networks. Source and install software (QuickBooks etc)….the list of course is what you and affiliated businesses can deliver on time.

Once you get started with clients ask for referrals testimonies for your website and the avalanche will begin.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Daniel,

Get some really good signage on your car – not just a basic back window sticker thats a waste of money. Park it in very obvious places at peak times. In a small town every body should be able to recognise your car.

Put a service sticker on every pc you touch with your business name and phone number. On shop computers put one on the back of the monitor so the customers can see it too.

Start meeting the local business people, join the local chamber of commerce. Get active in the community.

Steve

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Is your business aimed at B2B or B2C? .. Or both.

This would establish if knocking on doors of other business is what you shud be doing.

I would think ‘repair’ is usually only important when something goes wrong. think about how people and businesses would find you .. Eg is there a local retailer selling computers and do they have a contact? how would a business find you?

Perhaps rather than selling your service first up, if you want B2B, you could ring local business and do some research I.e. ask them what they would do if they had IT issues.

If you are after consumers .. Perhaps seniors could be a good target. Would there be avenue to present a workshop .. With voucher for a set fee, to do a check (a little like a car check).

visualindustries
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Bit late on the bandwagon, but I totally agree with Steve on the car signage as I am a signwriter myself, (not trying to push my business onto you as I am based in Brisbane).

We love hearing feedback from our clients after a successful car wrap or vehicle decals, it can be costly depending what you wanted, but in my opinion (and plenty of our clients) it 100% works and pays for itself in no time.

food for thought :)
    good luck

Chris

Têejâa
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hey,

Door knocking, signage and polo shirts. These are all really good ideas. I personally have found in smaller towns that Word of Mouth is by far the most effective when it comes to marketing.

Other options are to approach schools, councils or similar type of groups and try to establish a ‘bread winner’ type of structure. This should be what keeps you business ticking. Then start to focus on expanding business through more residential customers.

Make sure that you follow up after you have provided your service. A simple call to say thank you and ensure everything is in working order. This earns much appreciated bonus points towards ‘Word of Mouth’ marketing.

Try to make yourself and your business unique. So much so that people believe that with out your business they wouldn’t survive.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.