Home – New Forums Starting your journey boutique name crisis

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fay
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

hi ,guys. i am about to open a fashion boutique very soon,but having a hard time naming it.could you please kindly suggest some good and cool names for my boutique? it will sell women wear, very colorful and tropical. most of them are silk and good quality evening dresses. not too casual or cheap staff. what i have in mind now is rainbow boutique cos rainbow in chinese culture symbolizes beauty and happiness. but i am afraid it can be old-fashioned or cheesy in english. so please let me know if it is not suitable for my boutique. and please list some big no-nos so that i won’t choose a stupid or ridiculous name without knowing it. your answers will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

NathanC
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi fay,

Although at first glance it seems simple enough, choosing a name/brand identity can be one of the most difficult parts of starting a new business – particularly a retail business.

To choose the right name you first need to think carefully about who your target customer is (age range, income level, lifestyle etc) and your positioning – how you’d wish to present your business to that customer (fun, sophisticated, chic, cool etc).

With those two basic blocks clearly in mind you can start to think of words and phrases that feel right. You’ll initially want to brainstorm lots and lots of names without considering whether they are right or wrong. Come up with a big list and then start to filter it down.

There are a bunch of general articles online about dos and donts of naming a business including this one.

Personally, I think for fashion/clothing retail you need to choose a name that is both remarkable and also connects emotionally with your customers. I use the example of the popular fashion website in the US – Rue La La. You may or may not like that name but it most definitely stands out from the competition and their customers (20-30s fashion conscious, online savvy women) love it.

To me, Rainbow Boutique seems a touch conservative and also a little generic. But then again, I’m not your target customer so you can ignore me : )

There is also the “legal” side of naming a business to consider. You’ll need to search on your shortlist of names on the ASIC database to ensure that someone else hasn’t registered the same or a similar name, and also check the availability of the .com.au domain at a registrar such as Crazy Domains. Finally, you should also check for existing trademarks on the IP Australia website.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Great post Nathan, well said.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Fay,

Welcome to Flying Solo.

This is a forum for Australian businesses. Are you based in Australia?

It would help us to give you the best answers possible if we knew where your store will be based. (Or is it online?)

All the best,
    Jayne

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Fay

When it comes to naming, this guide is one of the finest I’ve ever come across:

The Igor Naming Guide.

It goes pretty deep, maybe more detail than you want or need, but I hope it helps,

Robert

NathanC
    Up

Thanks for sharing Robert – that is an excellent resource.

fay
    Up

thank you very much guys for the detailed advice and the excellent resource. it is the first time i use this website and you guyes made me feel that i found the right place.

and to provide more information about my boutique, it will be based in brisbane. my target customer will be 20’s-40’s,income range will be 30k+, the clothes will be unique,chic and elegant but not imtimidatingly overpriced.

i will start to do some research since i now understand better the importance of a good name that both attracts customers and fits my business. but due to the limitation of my english cultural knowledge and vocabulary, i don’t think i can come up anything amazingly good. so if you have anything in mind please do let me know. thanks a lot!

fay
    Up

hi everyone what i have got this whole morning are gala boutique, shalala boutique, ballad boutique, bloom boutique, blossom boutique, spell of beauty boutique…please any advice? choose one name you like or hate them all, just let me know…i will keep refreshing….many many thanks…

NathanC
    Up

Hi Fay,

Well done for pushing on with the brainstorming. Keep it up!

I’m afraid I cannot give you any preferences because it would be too subjective (ie my own personal taste) and also your business is not aimed at me being a guy.

Having said that, to me words like gala, bloom, ballad and beauty might have a slightly older feel than would appeal to your target market.

Also, dont feel constrained to have the word boutique on the end of every name that you consider. Im assuming you’re going to open a bricks and mortar store so having the word boutique may be redundant – since it would be fairly evident.

fay
    Up

hi nathan, thank you for your reply. I agree with you about the boutique thing, i actually like one word name better. i did some searches and i found a lot of boutiques use just people names for the boutique. i always like the name isabel and annabel, can i use these kind of names? and there is one word “reverie” i just love for no reason. or can i use it? will it be weird to use it as the name of my boutique?

propamedia
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Fay,

Yeah it’s a tough one, some people are lucky enough to have something they love and will work, straight away.

I agree with the great points made earlier that naming can be very subjective, but research and strategy play their part.

For what it’s worth I don’t think including the ’boutique’ is needed and I quite like your later suggestions. The personal touch associated with naming a business after a person or peoples christian names shouldn’t be ignored and to me it definitely has connotations with high end boutique fashion.

I also think that Reverie has a lot of potential, as a designer I automatically visualise the brand, the feeling or emotions associated with it… this word based on it’s meaning definitely lends itself to brand development and visual/advertising development. Once again, subject… you have to live with the name and sell it, imagine yourself answering the phone to a customer stating the name of the business.

Where in Brisbane to you plan to locate?

fay
    Up
    propamedia, post: 54935 wrote:
    Hi Fay,

Yeah it’s a tough one, some people are lucky enough to have something they love and will work, straight away.

I agree with the great points made earlier that naming can be very subjective, but research and strategy play their part.

For what it’s worth I don’t think including the ’boutique’ is needed and I quite like your later suggestions. The personal touch associated with naming a business after a person or peoples christian names shouldn’t be ignored and to me it definitely has connotations with high end boutique fashion.

I also think that Reverie has a lot of potential, as a designer I automatically visualise the brand, the feeling or emotions associated with it… this word based on it’s meaning definitely lends itself to brand development and visual/advertising development. Once again, subject… you have to live with the name and sell it, imagine yourself answering the phone to a customer stating the name of the business.

Where in Brisbane to you plan to locate?

hi ,thank you so much for the advice. i was struggling desperately this whole day to choose the perfect name, and i almost made a reckless decision if i didn’t see your post cos my schedule is really tight. you can’t imagine how happy i am to have seen you mentioned that reverie is suitable. cos actually reverie is my favourite. it is the only one i came up by myself, others are found by googling.

i was inspired by an english song named angel to use reverie, i remembered that i was impressed the first time i heard this word about 10 years ago. i knew just little english back then,but the sound ,the meaning, and the feelings it brought to me were incredible. i don’t know why but it just relates to me somehow, but i was not sure if it can be used as a boutique name.and i don’t know if native english speakers have the same feelings about this word as i do.

i also came up some other names tonight like chanson, cynosure, genre….. i agree with you that i have to imagine saying the name to customers and for that matter, i like reverie the best! please let me know if any name stands out for you. your help is greatly appreciated. i plan to locate near city or new farm,but not very sure now. and anyone who can choose one from the names i mentioned will be more than welcome to do so, i really do not mind your subjectivity^^! thank you guys!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.