Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Breaking the Rules

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jamesie
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

Normally I am the straightest shooter anybody has ever met. Recently I have started a new ‘offshoot’ from my regular work.
    I have branded this entity differently and have not currently linked it back directly to my other business.
    This week I am thinking Email promotion, only thing is I don’t have a group of subscribers to any list associated with this entity and at this point in time, I don’t want to disclose outwardly my association between all of my businesses. Not hiding it, just not promoting the cross relationship either.
    What are the chances of being booted from Mailchimp or similar if I import my current contacts to a list and send my message to all of them? I would include text indicating we will not be contacting them any further unless they subscribe to the list. Subscription might or might not include a special offer, I understand this sometimes raises red flags.
    My list needs to be local to home as it is a local event production with broad appeal, there is also a timeline attached for ticket sales.
    Hopefully I don’t get too many spam reports and ruin my chances of sending anything again.
    Sometimes you need to bend the rules a little to get results, talk me in or talk me out of it.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

From my perspective the email would be onforwarded to ACMA as a Spam report. And if I ever found out that my email details had being passed between business (associated or not), I would seize business with both your entities.

You are sending Spam, and you are breaking my agreement with you in regard to your other business. only 2 words for it dishonest and disloyal

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Now having said that if you were to send me an email from your first business stating that you are starting a new entity and would I like to subscribe, I would have no problems with that. I know it defeats what you are trying to achieve.

But also if you have a good reputation and client base with business number one, there should be no reason to hide your association with business number 2.

Jamesie
    Up

Thanks BB1,
    As you could probably tell, I was trying to establish reactions people might have.
    I too get heaps of unsolicited mail, and most of it is plain annoying. But I can’t be bothered marking it as spam, mainly because the perpetrators will just use a different address next time so it is fruitless.
    Perhaps I will direct market to some existing customers with full disclosure and offer an opt in for future communications? Like I said, not really trying to hide anything but looking for a different customer type this time.
    I have some mailing lists available to me for clubs I sponsor (Google groups) and I am allowed to send them marketing information periodically so I might leverage that option at first, hopefully they share the material around with the share button? Not likely I imagine?

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Hi Jamesiee, dont think that reporting Spam to ACMA is always fruitless, I have on at least 4 occasions now had followup emails from ACMA requesting followup information for them to act on. Which has resulted in at least 2 extremely grumpy emails from the business’s in question, so I know that it does work, and they do follow up on occasions.
    Bert

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

If its the same company and the subscribers have already consented to receiving email from you then it may not technically be spam.

Steve

Jamesie
    Up

I didn’t get the email this topic had been updated, sorry for the non-reply.
    Last week I used the email list from my current businesses booking and email list. I didn’t cloak anything, using my own email address as the send and reply.
    Out of 180 emails sent from the list, 3 unsubscribed, 10 bounced and I guess the rest made it through.
    The event was posted as something I thought they might be interested in as we have worked together before regarding entertainment and events, so this is related.
    It doesn’t look like I pissed anybody off too much.
    I kept my dignity and integrity.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.