Home – New Forums Starting your journey Brilliant app & website idea – Where to now??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tcr
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am on here looking for advice from people who are experienced in starting a website.

Yesterday I had a moment where I got an idea for a website that could be used on a worldwide scale.. I have done some research and there isn’t anything like it that exists, or if it does, it hasn’t been done well because I couldnt find it.

So in haste of my brilliant idea – I already came up with a name, registered an abn, bought the .com & .com.au address… now what!:|

I have briefly spoke to a one website developer, not disclosing my idea just yet, but gave him an idea of a website it could be similar to, but a different genre.
    His immediate thoughts were definitely doable but could get very expensive..

I don’t want to lose motivation on this idea, because I think it is fantastic. I just don’t know where to go to next or who to tell or how to protect myself!

Do I need legal advice just yet? Do I need a business coach or mentor or should I be asking friends and family if they think its a good idea? I have only spoke with my wife about it and my Dad, and they both agree that it would be fantastic.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Every success starts with a good idea, hope yours is one of them.

Just a couple of comments based on experience.

Developers may not be quite as quick to steal your idea as you think. They often have a different perspective, in that they know the amount of time, work and capital required to build something and market it properly, let alone turn a profit.

One of your biggest challenges if you can’t code, or do not have a very good understanding of the technologies involved, will be working out who REALLY knows what they’re doing in delivering the project. If your approach is simplistic i.e. get the cheapest programmer on Elance, and give them a rough scope … you’ll likely get smashed IMO.

I’d say you need to do more research and probably develop a business plan if the idea’s still stacking up.

Depending on your experience in this area, a business coach or similar, may be a good start.

Good luck with it.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    tcr, post: 190101 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am on here looking for advice from people who are experienced in starting a website.

Yesterday I had a moment where I got an idea for a website that could be used on a worldwide scale.. I have done some research and there isn’t anything like it that exists, or if it does, it hasn’t been done well because I couldnt find it.

So in haste of my brilliant idea – I already came up with a name, registered an abn, bought the .com & .com.au address… now what!:|

I have briefly spoke to a one website developer, not disclosing my idea just yet, but gave him an idea of a website it could be similar to, but a different genre.

I don’t want to lose motivation on this idea, because I think it is fantastic. I just don’t know where to go to next or who to tell or how to protect myself!

Do I need legal advice just yet? Do I need a business coach or mentor or should I be asking friends and family if they think its a good idea? I have only spoke with my wife about it and my Dad, and they both agree that it would be fantastic.

Thanks

Ideas aren’t what make great companies — the execution of the idea is what does.

Either hire an experienced business coach who has built successful business, and adhere to the StartUp model, or read it yourself. “Business Model Generation” on Amazon.

Jenny

Harvey L
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

The most important people to speak to right now will be your target market. You need to understand your target market and whether your website/idea would actually help solve a big problem they’re facing. The idea might make completely logical sense but if it’s unappealing to your target market or the value proposition isn’t instantly clear, they’re unlikely to invest the time and resources to become your users.

Talking to friends and family can provide good support but unless they’re an industry expert, their opinions won’t be that robust as they will generally always be positive and supportive. It’s also probably too early to consult a business coach. There’s a lot of due diligence that you can do yourself first before you might hit a hurdle that could do with some business coach advice.

My advice would be just to start talking to people that would form part of your target market. See what their support and feedback is. With that information, you are much more likely to attract an experienced developer to be a co-founder.

Cheers
    Harvey

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

I have sent you a PM. Feel free to email me.

tcr
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi all thanks for your advice. It is most helpful.
    Yes it is early days – so still contemplating all angles of the idea.

Unfortunately I am not a developer so I don’t know much about website design.

I will look into that book – thanks!

I’ll check back in a few days. :)

Carl Desacola
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi TCR,

I’m actually helping three different entrepreneurs with launching their own website / app ideas at the moment so your query has been timely.

There are many issues to consider, but from a legal standpoint, the two I would suggest you keep in mind at this early stage in your project are:

1. Deed of Confidentiality – You should get every potential supplier or business partner to sign this before you discuss your idea with them. This reduces the risk of your idea being “borrowed” (which in itself is not illegal). Personally I prefer to use a deed, as opposed to a non-disclosure agreement or a confidentiality agreement, because it is legally more advantageous in a number of respects.

2. Web (and App) Development Agreement – Don’t engage a web designer and/or developer without insisting on a written agreement. The agreement should contain, amongst other things, a clause to the effect that all intellectual property in the website / app is solely yours (many people assume that they own all the IP just because they’ve hired the web designer/developer to do the work – this is definitely not the case).

Once you have these important legal controls in place, you can then comfortably focus on other more challenging aspects of the project, such as business planning, market research, project funding and implementation. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Carl Desacola, Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1461661)
    Winthrop Mason | Business Lawyers & Migration Agents
    http://www.winthropmason.com.au

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

just ask your prospective designer/developer to sign a NDA or deed as stated above…keep all email contact too so you have all the evidence if needed :)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Yes a confidentiality deed is a smart way of doing things and dealing with reputable business operators is the second.

Depending on your idea the App is bound to be more expensive than the website as they sure can be costly depending on the requirements.

I am happy to help with the business advice if you are still looking as the execution of this will probably make or break.

Currently I am working with another online only business which is going after new things not yet produced so I am familiar with the steps required.

3ntr3pr3n3ur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up
    tcr, post: 190150 wrote:
    Hi all thanks for your advice. It is most helpful.
    Yes it is early days – so still contemplating all angles of the idea.

Unfortunately I am not a developer so I don’t know much about website design.

I will look into that book – thanks!

I’ll check back in a few days. :)

Have you considered equity share?…

i.e. touch base with a capable web designer/app developer and offer them 25% of your idea for their services…

AngusMcKinnon
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Keep things simple. Write what you want built down in a doc. Sketch up screenshots of what you think you want it to look like. Draw it out on paper then photograph it with your camera and email yourself the photo. Odesk.com is your friend. Post a job with a very simplified view of what you want built. Think of it as a prototype. Would cost less than $1k to get almost anything built these days. Show the prototype to a few people whose opinions you trust. If it has legs then get the full version built.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.