Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Bringing Business Cards to life with new tech – what do you think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kokoronkwo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I’m new to Flying Solo & love learning new tricks from fellow entrepreneurs… particularly how Aussie business build strong client loyalty, and any tips relating to the boring bits (for me, this is anything relating to numbers)!

Just wanted to share our 3D studios newest idea… would love feedback/critique! (it’s literally been launched 2days ago on Android, on Tues next week for iOS)

It’s a free service for small businesses to make literally ‘create their own’ augmented reality experience, via a new mobile app.

Imagine handing a client your business card, and then say “download KookaburrAR, and point your phone camera at my card”

Then, a 3D tablet appears on your card, playing your promo video… and buttons appear that link directly to your website & social media, download a document, and instantly call you with one touch.

This is a way for any business, with any budget, to take advantage of augmented reality. It is the ultimate way to link their online presence with their physical calling card.

http://www.kookaburrar.com.au
    Pretty excited to hear your thoughts & most of all… Do you still hand out business cards? What do you think about linking your online presence to a physical calling card?

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

This sounds like an extension of QR codes which didn’t really take off for the wider business community. It has worked well for niche industries like on a menu or real estate board when you want to instantly pull up more info.

Excuse my ignorance in your product, but it would appear you first need the person you give to, to then download your APP then scan the card to reach the rich augmented content? Sounds a tad round about than simply loading up your website when convenient.

Your product may be tough to sell. For most going from business card to creating a LinkedIn connection or website bookmark is the standard and easy way of first connecting.

Kokoronkwo
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 241782, member: 54026 wrote:
    This sounds like an extension of QR codes which didn’t really take off for the wider business community. It has worked well for niche industries like on a menu or real estate board when you want to instantly pull up more info.

Excuse my ignorance in your product, but it would appear you first need the person you give to, to then download your APP then scan the card to reach the rich augmented content? Sounds a tad round about than simply loading up your website when convenient.

Your product may be tough to sell. For most going from business card to creating a LinkedIn connection or website bookmark is the standard and easy way of first connecting.

Thanks for your feedback – we are concerned people will think of QR codes when they see this, however the technology is very different & it’s our responsibility to market the differences really well.

Augmented Reality is the same tech as Pokemon Go. Instead of taking a user to a website, etc, it actually enables a 3D object to appear in the real world in front of them. We do this for companies on a larger scale, with custom apps & very rich content (3D dancing company mascots, full size human avatars, for example). Our intention is to create something more accessible for small businesses in terms of affordability & practical uses, as AR can be very cost prohibitive for businesses.

You are exactly right however, the hurdle will be educating audiences/users & actually enticing them to download the app.
    Thanks!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I’m with Steve, but my next question is how any people actually look at a business card they are handed, and how many will be bothered to link through. Sure we all grab the business card handed to us, but do they get used, or do they get into file 13.

If I take your business card because I am interested in what ever you are offering, it is just a reference to make contact, do I really want virtual reality, or do I just want to talk to you. Me thinks a lot of money for little benefit. IMHO

Kokoronkwo
    Up
    bb1, post: 241787, member: 53375 wrote:
    I’m with Steve, but my next question is how any people actually look at a business card they are handed, and how many will be bothered to link through. Sure we all grab the business card handed to us, but do they get used, or do they get into file 13.

If I take your business card because I am interested in what ever you are offering, it is just a reference to make contact, do I really want virtual reality, or do I just want to talk to you. Me thinks a lot of money for little benefit. IMHO

Really good to know your thoughts – this is helpful.

To clarify, we’ve made it free.
    So let’s say you are a sales rep. You hand a client your card after a meeting, and then point your own phone at it to show them it literally ‘comes to life’ in 3D. ie: a 3D video screen appears on the business card, demonstrating the new product you just pitched them, also some virtual buttons appear to download the spec sheet, go to your site, or tap to instantly call you.

Looks like the pic attached.

To do it themselves, they just download the free app Kookaburrar.
    You may choose to change the video (new product demo, etc) at your leisure.

Does that make more sense? It’s about making that business card an impressive sales tool.

To give you an idea, if we were contracted to make this as a custom AR app for one company, the quotes begin at $14,400 (which is less than half our competition charges), which is still inaccessible for many small businesses.

But given all that, it does still rely on whether businesses will actually want to use the tech.

Thanks!

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I think it looks really cool, the video on your site makes it really clear how it works.

I wonder if you’re slightly too far ahead of the curve, if lots of people had Google Glass, for example, this would be an awesome. The only real hindrance is having to download an app first.
    In the meantime, it’s a great gimmick.

Kokoronkwo
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 241789, member: 20554 wrote:
    I think it looks really cool, the video on your site makes it really clear how it works.

I wonder if you’re slightly too far ahead of the curve, if lots of people had Google Glass, for example, this would be an awesome. The only real hindrance is having to download an app first.
    In the meantime, it’s a great gimmick.

Thanks so much for taking a look – totally agree, it’s definitely for the ‘early adopters’ rather than mass market. Pokemon Go popularised the technology only a few months ago, and large companies use it in quite creative ways.

It would be awesome to not require an app, I agree… but that’s far and away for anyone at this stage unfortunately (the phones themselves will be AR enabled oneday).
    The more businesses that use this (especially in a specific niche – perhaps real estate, for example), the more it will be utilised & understood.
    Thanks!

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

First off – I’m a big fan of AR and foresee some great commercial applications and benefits in the not to distant future. Hopefully the relative operational freedom of MS Hololens will give AR a big push.

The issue I see with your current application is that it doesn’t really solve any problems or produce a better more efficient outcome of the recipient / customer / client. Its definitely a very cool / nifty innovation but the practical application with app downloads etc may be a barrier. I’m sure you guys know all of this anyway.

It certainly showcases your expertise very nicely and that has big value itself. Nicely done. I look forward to seeing more from you guys in the next couple of years.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Kokoronkwo
    Up
    JamesMillar, post: 241811, member: 5318 wrote:
    First off – I’m a big fan of AR and foresee some great commercial applications and benefits in the not to distant future. Hopefully the relative operational freedom of MS Hololens will give AR a big push.

The issue I see with your current application is that it doesn’t really solve any problems or produce a better more efficient outcome of the recipient / customer / client. Its definitely a very cool / nifty innovation but the practical application with app downloads etc may be a barrier. I’m sure you guys know all of this anyway.

It certainly showcases your expertise very nicely and that has big value itself. Nicely done. I look forward to seeing more from you guys in the next couple of years.

Thanks James! Really appreciate your comments & the time you took to have a look.

jan.sullivan2
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Katrina
    It looks exciting. I know someone who was trying to do AR and I think he has moved sideways into other areas. A tip from him – to explain it, he reminded people of Harry Potter and how the pictures on paper came to life.
    I agree that having to download an app is a hurdle.
    There will be early adopters who have niche applications for this. Thinking of who those people might be and target them with your marketing will work best.
    Cheers
    Jan

Kokoronkwo
    Up
    jan.sullivan2, post: 241864, member: 79960 wrote:
    Hi Katrina
    It looks exciting. I know someone who was trying to do AR and I think he has moved sideways into other areas. A tip from him – to explain it, he reminded people of Harry Potter and how the pictures on paper came to life.
    I agree that having to download an app is a hurdle.
    There will be early adopters who have niche applications for this. Thinking of who those people might be and target them with your marketing will work best.
    Cheers
    Jan

Thanks Jan, good insight & your tip to use Harry Potter as a reference for the uninitiated… brilliant! I’ve never thought of this, and it certainly is a very helpful way to describe the tech. Much appreciated.

ClarusComputers
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hey Katrina,

I have to agree with the other sentiments about business cards, you would need to provide the usual information on the card anyway and some people might download the app to get that bit of extra information.

However, I can see a market for people who print brochures about their product, or for B2B businesses. Most companies have the information on their websites or promo videos and I think it would save a lot of money on printing if you could just hand customers a card saying “all your questions will be answered here”.

It wasn’t really clear from the promo video on your site, but when they click the URL button, does that take them to that URL on their phone? The reason I suggest marketing to B2B businesses here is because I can see the advantages of going in to a meeting and delivering a presentation and being able to hand the client the card so they can view the presentation and video at any time. It’s something that’s different and would definitely make you stand out.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I have to say it look freaking cool.

That said, how useful will it be and will you get people paying for it? Harder to say. Time will tell. I would find a niche that really loves and needs your product, and aim at that.

Good luck

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Katrina,

I think this is really awesome, I love it, and I see where you could go with this. Obviously the main problem is getting people to download the app. You have to drive a need to make people download it.

I have a suggestion to get this happening faster.

Approach a few trade show providers and make it part of there package, free for now, but people can upgrade to Business Premium if they like it

Stand Holders: Get instructions to create their cards on your site and get their products out there.

Show Attendee: Get instructions to download the app so as they collect cards they can scan them as they go around the show or when they get back to work for a quick review.

I am going to a big trade show next year, and I know what it’s like collecting cards etc, it’s overwhelming after you have all the cards and brochures at the end, trying to remember each product.

This way would allow for a large number of apps downloaded and as it will be something shiny and high tech, many people will love it.

The trade shows will eat it up, as there is no cost other than instruction printing and it will make them look high tech.

Good luck
    Mischelle :)

Kokoronkwo
    Up

Wow awesome suggestions & thank so much for taking the time to look at our website.

Jaye – great points about B2B, I’ve never thought to focus on this, and it’s an excellent idea.

Matthew – thanks for your comment! Agreed, it is a challenge to monetize anything. However if we can drive this, and then upgrade customers OR entice them to have their own custom AR app built (much higher return for us!) that would work well long term.

Mischelle – I can’t believe I didn’t think about trade shows. That’s a brilliant concept & I really appreciate your suggestion. No doubt they will be looking for interesting options to leverage new technology without extra expenses. Love it & will look into building these relationships!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.