Home Forums Find the help you need Brisbane WordPress Developer

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #991366
    J21
    Member
    • Total posts: 37

    Hello

    I am looking for a web developer who is based in Brisbane.

    I would like a face to face meet up to do some cosmetic changes for my WordPress website and making sure the website is fast and up and running.

    I currently am working with a developer via Skype and the whole process of typing and ‘print screen’ to discuss the issues is getting very slow and not very enjoyable.

    I need a developer who has the initiative to go through the website and see what’s wrong, fix it instead of me chasing them detail after detail. I would like my website to look like the demo version of a template, so details are important.

    As this is my side business, I can only meet on Sat or Sun.

    I previously have some very bad experience working other developers who either had taken too much projects (delaying my website progress) and simply do not understand my requests.

    I’m sorry it might sound overbearing. I once worked with a developer who told me he couldn’t’ respond fast enough because he’s sick on day 1, wife delivered baby on day 2, power outage on day 3 and day 4, family gathering on day 5, it’s quite understandable how little patience I have left.

    #1181228
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    J21, post: 211418 wrote:
    Hello

    I am looking for a web developer who is based in Brisbane.

    I would like a face to face meet up to do some cosmetic changes for my WordPress website and making sure the website is fast and up and running.

    I currently am working with a developer via Skype and the whole process of typing and ‘print screen’ to discuss the issues is getting very slow and not very enjoyable.

    I need a developer who has the initiative to go through the website and see what’s wrong, fix it instead of me chasing them detail after detail. I would like my website to look like the demo version of a template, so details are important.

    As this is my side business, I can only meet on Sat or Sun.

    I previously have some very bad experience working other developers who either had taken too much projects (delaying my website progress) and simply do not understand my requests.

    I’m sorry it might sound overbearing. I once worked with a developer who told me he couldn’t’ respond fast enough because he’s sick on day 1, wife delivered baby on day 2, power outage on day 3 and day 4, family gathering on day 5, it’s quite understandable how little patience I have left.What changes do you need? Maybe PM a list and I can advise.

    #1181229
    CapRoberts
    Member
    • Total posts: 27

    My advice would be not to use WordPress at all. It might be tempting due to all the very cheap templates out there. But as you might have noticed it is then complex to customise and you are stuck with a series of limitations.
    Wordpress is ok for blogs, but not a good choice for websites. We had several wordpress sites and have redone all of them. Mainly due to extremely slow performance. The same site as plain html or php site loads much faster. Your visitors must every patient and very interested in your site not to just click away from it. The wordpress version’s homepage often took so long to load, that you ended yup thinking that site does not work at all.
    Therefore my advice would be to stay away from wordpress and look for a good web developer instead.

    #1181230
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    CapRoberts, post: 211462 wrote:
    My advice would be not to use WordPress at all. It might be tempting due to all the very cheap templates out there. But as you might have noticed it is then complex to customise and you are stuck with a series of limitations.
    Wordpress is ok for blogs, but not a good choice for websites. We had several wordpress sites and have redone all of them. Mainly due to extremely slow performance. The same site as plain html or php site loads much faster. Your visitors must every patient and very interested in your site not to just click away from it. The wordpress version’s homepage often took so long to load, that you ended yup thinking that site does not work at all.
    Therefore my advice would be to stay away from wordpress and look for a good web developer instead.totally disagree.

    There are many poor slow WordPress websites out there because it’s easy to install and buy a theme. They then load them up with bad plugins to get it to do what they need.

    There are many professional developer choosing WP to build their sites, and it’s a fantastic platform for a professional site.

    WordPress is going through a bit of change recently, and some amazing development tools and frameworks are now able to help professional developers build some amazing things.

    #1181231
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184

    If you are interested, check out roots.io

    #1181232
    J21
    Member
    • Total posts: 37

    Hi All for your great response. I am using Legenda Theme from Envato.

    It’s one of the most popular downloads and looks impressive.

    #1181233
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    MatthewKeath, post: 211465 wrote:
    If you are interested, check out roots.io

    Hi Matthew,

    Great link, it’s a rapidly changing world in web dev … seems WP is on the ball and changing with it, I was impressed. Bedrock answers a lot of the things I didn’t like with WP. I see there’s even some tools from the Node and Ruby camps.

    My current hobby horse is “the API economy” and the business opportunities of same … WP is onto this too, it seems. Copped this link off my Twitter feed, more good stuff for WP developers;

    http://wp-api.org

    Given the above and more, I can’t help wondering whether the days of pushing a button on Cpanel (regardless of CMS brand) are numbered if you’re serious about an online business presence.

    Cheers

    #1181234
    J21
    Member
    • Total posts: 37
    MatthewKeath, post: 211419 wrote:
    What changes do you need? Maybe PM a list and I can advise.

    Hello Matthew, thanks, where are you based?

    I prefer someone in Brisbane, so I can meet up, point out all the places that needs to be fixed.

    #1181235
    CapRoberts
    Member
    • Total posts: 27

    There are many poor slow WordPress websites out there because it’s easy to install and buy a theme.

    Exactly my point, which is the case here. A tested wordpress based homepage needed 15 second to load, while the very same page without wordpress loads in 5 second. Making wordpress 3 times slower. If you want to use a CMS system it should should sit in the back and only be used to update pages. Pages for visitors should not have to go through the whole database loading process unless they have content that changes very frequently.

    Anyhow, you cannot beat the pricing on a wordpress template, also you get something that is not custom made and hundreds maybe even thousands of other sites will have a similar look.

    #1181236
    JohnTranter
    Member
    • Total posts: 842
    CapRoberts, post: 211703 wrote:
    If you want to use a CMS system it should should sit in the back and only be used to update pages. Pages for visitors should not have to go through the whole database loading process unless they have content that changes very frequently.

    Are you talking about a static site generator? Any one in particular?

    I suspect you’ll get some flack over the 15 second load time for a WordPress page, I would suspect that the WordPress site would have had to have been configured really badly. (or you’re using massive images)

    #1181237
    CapRoberts
    Member
    • Total posts: 27
    JohnTranter, post: 211706 wrote:
    I would suspect that the WordPress site would have had to have been configured really badly. (or you’re using massive images)

    This might be true, also the images are exactly the same on both sites, as is the amount of text, menus etc. There is no visual difference between the homepages once they have loaded.

    We used a theme called Enfold, and did not install any additional plugins other then what came with the theme. Maybe this is a rather bad theme, also I tried two other themes and had the same problems.
    We also had massive spam attacks of bots trying signing up for the blog, that eventually crashed our server and we had to take the site totally down. After getting an email every 2 seconds.

    Not an expert on wordpress, who might be able to deal with this, the speed and the difficulty to expand the site with customised solutions. Did not have the time or wanted to learn how to write plug ins and opened in the end to re-develop the sites without wordpress. Now we have relative links that made it much easier to adapt sites to a different domain name, we use includes of small files and no database calls for static pages.

    A company I used to work with has just launched their new site with wordpress and it is extremely slow. You have to wait for each page, while a loading animation is displayed, navigation is awkward and buggy and not intuitive at all. Granted that is probably not all caused by wordpress, rather than a poor theme and developers that do not know what they are doing. The site does not have meaningful titles or metatags, either, was down two days and two weeks later still is not working completely.

    Our experience has been a bad one with wordpress and just sending out a warning to consider the usage of a template carefully. It still might be a good choice if you know what you are doing, be able to write your own plus ins etc

    Still think any speed test between the same site running wordpress and a plain html would be won by the plain html site.

    #1181238
    JohnTranter
    Member
    • Total posts: 842
    CapRoberts, post: 211710 wrote:
    Our experience has been a bad one with wordpress and just sending out a warning to consider the usage of a template carefully. It still might be a good choice if you know what you are doing, be able to write your own plus ins etc

    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, it’s just noteworthy because so many non-techies are able to easily create a decent basic website using WordPress.

    CapRoberts, post: 211710 wrote:
    Still think any speed test between the same site running wordpress and a plain html would be won by the plain html site.

    Agreed, the CMS is just to make editing the site easier and will slow it down, but it should be slower by fractions of a second, not 10 seconds.
    (And if you use the right caching, it could be no different.)

    #1181239
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    J21, post: 211676 wrote:
    Hello Matthew, thanks, where are you based?

    I prefer someone in Brisbane, so I can meet up, point out all the places that needs to be fixed.In I am afraid. Always happy for you to have a chat if you get stuck :)

    A company I used to work with has just launched their new site with wordpress and it is extremely slow. You have to wait for each page, while a loading animation is displayed, navigation is awkward and buggy and not intuitive at all. Granted that is probably not all caused by wordpress, rather than a poor theme and developers that do not know what they are doing. The site does not have meaningful titles or metatags, either, was down two days and two weeks later still is not working completely.

    WordPress is a tool. You can do it really bad if you don’t know what you are doing.

    All of our clients need to update their site so we need to allow them.

    We start with a bare theme, and follow a development WorkFlow that allows to to create site that are not slow, and fit the clients needs.

    Our sites hosted on our Managed WordPress platform load under 1.5 seconds.

    But bad WordPress websites on poor shared hosting are ready to be hacked and are very prevalent.

    #1181240
    J21
    Member
    • Total posts: 37

    Hello Matthew and all,

    I appreciate all the comments, but I think the post had deviated from its main purpose. I am just looking for a Brisbane based WordPress developer.

    I think while many have ideas about what works and what’s not, budgetary concerns remain the priority. I have already invested time and money into my WordPress, and it’s just the basic final touches I am looking for.

    My store is a simple homewares store with not many products, I think I don’t see myself spending a few thousands on a proper website. That is probably something I can look at further down the track when the business is more viable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.