Home – New Forums Find the help you need Brochure help & advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jen Wells
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Hi

I’m taking the leap and paying for some marketing for the first time ever and I want to have some A4 brochures made up.

I’m struggling with the design process. My local printers aren’t super helpful and I’m afraid they will come off looking like a high school project with too much info or not enough of the important stuff.

Does anyone have advice on what to include on a marketing masterpiece or referral for anyone who can really help with the design process?

The brochures will be double sided and the front will be about our Mystery Shopping services while the back will be promoting our Customer Satisfaction services.

Any tips or suggestions?

Many thanks

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Jen

Whilst i do not have any super helpful info, i must commend you for endeavouring to do this on your own.. From my past experiences i tend to find the printers (unless they have in house graphic designers) are not in a position to really help on layout.. Unfortunately… a lot just print what you provide.

Furthermore, there is such an art to balancing brochures.. as you mention enough or too much information etc can kill a flyer.. Maybe, the best advice i could give, would be to consult a designer to do the flyer only for you.. Not sure on costs, but sure some will pop along to offer assistance or suggestions shortly to this post..

Let us know how you go..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MrD
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hey there,

Have you checked out GraphicRiver?
    They’ve got some great brochure templates (reasonably prices) that are pre-setup with all settings ready for print.

You could even reach out to the template designers, and ask them to assist you in ensuring the files are all ready for print.

All the best with it.

Cheers!

Jen Wells
    Up

Thanks Jason,

I’m happy to have a professional designer put something together or tweak my first draft, depending on cost of course!

I’m finding the “graphic designers” that work at the print shops don’t always have the skills for professional design.

I’m Googling “flyer design tips” now and there’s quite a bit of info to be read.

I’m keen to hear tips and suggestions from others that lead to success or changes they would make on flyers next time.

Many thanks,

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Make a list of the information you need to convey, and how important each piece is. Refer to this list when sizing and styling your text, so you know what needs to stand out.

Take a break from designing. When you return, you’ll notice things that you couldn’t see before.

Appreciate the value of empty space, and how it draws focus towards what matters.

Feel free to send me your draft, or a list of information, and I’ll give you an indiction of the cost of one of my graphic designers doing a professional job for you. Reach me at [email protected]

Good luck!

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

What you don’t include is just as important as what you do.

When working on any design, look at every single image, line, word, etc. on the page and ask yourself “does this have a purpose?”. If it doesn’t chuck it out. The worst DIY designs I see can be made far better by simply removing about half of the content.

Another very importance concept is visual hierarchy. You need to make sure that the reader of the brochure can quickly identify the most important elements on the page. The can be achieved by use of size, colour, placement, angles, etc.

There are so many things to take into account, which is why a good designer is worth paying for. Some people may save a few hundred dollars by doing their own design, but it could potentially cost them thousands in sales.

Finding a good designer is the tricky part.

Oh yeah, and I’d be happy to give you a quote if you’d like. I’ve done work for many happy people on this forum.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

http://www.takeheeddesign.com/

Mat Hede from here will sort you out.

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Jen

I can help you with design if you are still looking. One of the benefits of working with a designer is that they can recommend printers and card stocks that will suit the type and style of brochure you are wanting and the qty you are needing to produce. They can even help get quotes in for you if you aren’t comfortable talking print specs with the printer. :)

wotnow
    • Total posts: 62
    Up

Hi I am a graphic/web designer and have done quite a few brochures over the years.

I would be happy to help. My best advice for you is when picking colours for your design go to a printer and look at their colour wheels. I guarantee the colour you see on your screen will look completely different when printed.

http://www.kimberleywebdesign.com.au/contact-kimberley-web-design/

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Although design is very important, so is strategy and copy if you want people to reply.

This is where I come in.

Feel free to email me.

Jen Wells
    Up

Thanks everyone for the great advice and referrals!

I have a much better idea of what to include on my brochure (and what not to!)

Hopefully I can post a picture of it when it’s ready.
    :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.