Home Forums Starting your journey Building a new business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SamsonWho
    • Total posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

I have an idea in building a new business and would love to have people giving me some feedback on my idea.

So I’ve been always wanted to start a business since college and the first venture was trying to build an app with a few friends 4 years ago. I’ve started digging in to how to do marketing online for the venture and got into some information of digital marketing. In the end, our partners have moved on and looked for a jobs. During that process, I learned a lot about building websites and find a passion in the beauty of digital marketing. Fast forwards one year ago, I have been recruited by a new brick and mortar business working in the marketing department. During this time, we’ve bring the company from 0 to 7 fig in 12 months with 2 of us in the front end. I am not saying that digital marketing was the sole reason to the success of the company, but during the process I’ve learnt a lot keep implementing different strategies. It was a lot of pressure at the beginning as we have huge overhead and what we were thinking everyday was to bring in new customers. During the time I have used all the expertise I have over the past on digital marketing and burning the night oil every night taking course after course on how to create online presence + all kind of ads to bring in customers. I’ve had a lot of failures but I’ve also have some success. I’ve digged into SEO, social media, email marketing, copy writing, video creating, website building, google ppc, Facebook, Linkedin, etc. Most of them do take a lot of effort to create a great strategy and potentially need a whole team to do it. However, with limited amount of resources, there are still some really easy stuff that could be done by one person without much cost.

For example, with website builders out there, websites could be built really easily at cost less than 30$ a month. Really its not necessary to spend thousands of dollars with marketing company on basic stuff like a website. Similarly, we could do On-site SEO and some simple off-site SEO in a day without spending much money and that would set a good base for the website to thrive.

I do think nowadays every business should have an online presence, considering the cost of building a website could be as low as 20-30$ a month. Once its setup, really you don’t need much time to maintain it but you would create so much less friction with the customers. From our experience, 80% of our inbound leads comes in online while 20% call us on the phone. I could not imagine if there is not a website over the pass year, how much business we would have lost.

I see people out or even on this forum and people with business great ideas are struggling and discourage with the tech, websites, and marketing online. I personally think it is really simple or maybe I’ve already spend a lot of time on it.

So instead of having people pay thousands for marketing firms, what if I create some cheap course that’s way under the cost of hiring a marketing firm to show people how to set up systems to collect leads, simple free digital marketing techniques and how to create websites easily within a week. Basically teach them how to create online presence till the point where the workload escalate exponentially and it makes more sense to out source it.

If there is something like what I offer on the market, would you guys pay for it? How much are you willing to pay for?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

Great that you are thinking about new ideas, but I am not sure another course is going to get much traction. There are tens of thousands of courses already out there doing what you are talking about, as well as all the seemingly, millions, of Youtube videos doing the same thing for free.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

The market is saturated with courses, especially those that are generalist in nature.

Creating niche courses that are industry specific would have a better chance of gaining traction IMO but a lot of effort would need to go into marketing them.

Cheers
    Paul

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,526

Hi [USER=119303]@SamsonWho[/USER],

I see an opportunity for hands-on demonstrations of implementing certain processes. Where people can copy what you do step by step to set up their website or email marketing for example, using popular platforms.

Basically record yourself doing something a lot of businesses need to do.

Make something small and see if people are interested. If you get some interest, you can create more.

Dave

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    SamsonWho, post: 271092, member: 119303 wrote:
    So instead of having people pay thousands for marketing firms, what if I create some cheap course that’s way under the cost of hiring a marketing firm to show people how to set up systems to collect leads, simple free digital marketing techniques and how to create websites easily within a week.

There are too many courses, free and paid out there. You will find it hard to compete with existing paid courses and even harder competing against the abundance of information that is free on platforms like YouTube.

If you have a special set of digital marketing skills – why not start your own side business performing those tasks? Or start a business that you are passionate about and utilise your skills to grow that business?

UmarBatchelor
    • Total posts: 26

Perhaps you should partner with a non technical business minded person. courses are saturated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.