Home – New Forums Starting your journey Building a tablet computer. Need advice.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I haven’t been here for a while so I thought I would share with you on what I am up to. I am building a 7″ Tablet computer on Android 4.0 for children to benefit through their developmental stages. During my studies in developmental psychology, the evidence for early education is astonishing. There will be a variety of children’s book pre-installed (the jungle book, little red riding hood, sleeping beauty, little mermaid, the gingerbread boy etc), math, puzzles, numbers and picture games.

I really value the opinions from Flying Soloist so I am asking you what do you think of the idea? Would you be tempted to buy one for your child? How do you think I could best market this product and is there demand? I should have a prototype in the next week or so, the hardware and software is in its final stages. It is an all or nothing opportunity as the costs have far exceeded my expectations which is why I need to know what people honestly think.

I am hoping to price the tablet around $100 AUD with 5 colours to choose from.

Regards,

Daniel

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Daniel,

I think its a brilliant idea.
    I see too many kids running around with ipads as toys. If you can supply a tablet at $100 that wifi connects to android shop and is designed for education I would expect you would be onto a real winner.
    If your interested I dont know if it will work on Android but if you could preinstall gcompris it will add to the devices marketability. If you get these things retail ready give me a call I want some.

Steve

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Daniel,

Nice to see you :)

This sounds like a really exciting project to work on, and I hope it all turns out brilliantly for you. I hope you can share more details and maybe even some pictures with us as the prototypes come to life.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It sounds like a good idea, but is it possible to sell a decent quality tablet for that price and still make a profit?

It’s amazing how quickly kids can pick up a piece of technology and work it out – my 14 month old has already worked out how to find puppies on instagram!

I’m sure you’ve already thought it all through, but it would be good if it’s bulky enough for little hands to easily grab, and super, duper durable – coz it will spend lots of time bouncing.

DanielM
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 130368 wrote:
    Hi Daniel,

I think its a brilliant idea.
    I see too many kids running around with ipads as toys. If you can supply a tablet at $100 that wifi connects to android shop and is designed for education I would expect you would be onto a real winner.
    If your interested I dont know if it will work on Android but if you could preinstall gcompris it will add to the devices marketability. If you get these things retail ready give me a call I want some.

Steve

Thank you for your kind words Steve. The tablet will be able to connect to wifi and the Android store with a range of educational apps pre-installed. I am tinkering at the moment in child restrictions as I see this as a real issue. I looked into gcompris and unfortunately they do not have an Android app, although a lot of their features will be covered by rival software.

FS Concierge, post: 130389 wrote:
    Hi Daniel,

Nice to see you :)

This sounds like a really exciting project to work on, and I hope it all turns out brilliantly for you. I hope you can share more details and maybe even some pictures with us as the prototypes come to life.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

Thank you Jayne. I should have the final product out of the factory by next week so fingers crossed for some screen shots! These are the specs I have devised:

Name: Splash (Kids edition)
    Screen size: 7″ multi-touch display
    Operating system: Android 4.0.4 ICS
    RAM: 512mb
    Processor: 1.2 ghz
    Storage: 8gb
    Battery:3000 Mah
    Weight: 300g
    Other: g-sensor, camera, wifi, Google play, 5 colours

bluepenguin, post: 130394 wrote:
    It sounds like a good idea, but is it possible to sell a decent quality tablet for that price and still make a profit?

It’s amazing how quickly kids can pick up a piece of technology and work it out – my 14 month old has already worked out how to find puppies on instagram!

I’m sure you’ve already thought it all through, but it would be good if it’s bulky enough for little hands to easily grab, and super, duper durable – coz it will spend lots of time bouncing.

Your input is really appreciated :) I stated ~$100 but it will more likely cost more rather than less. I am predicting that it will retail for $125 at the most to cover costs and receive a profit.

The tablet is quite durable with a rubbery casing (great for bouncing) around the glass with a weight of only 300g. This was the reason why I chose to make it a 7″ tablet as children are my primary focus.

I completely agree with your first statement, I don’t see the need for children to have $600+ iPads when there are affordable alternatives which can perform the same basic functions.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Love the idea.

I suggest you install a tablet finder app. I’m sure kids will be dropping it all over the place.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Just gave me a great idea.
    Will it have a GPS receiver?

Steve

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Sounds like a good idea. Best of luck with it all.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Target ideas: probably obvious ones.

Hospitals
    Schools
    Children Charities
    School Holiday groups / camps etc
    Education Suppliers – eg EDCO

Good luck

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

Have you spoken with a patent attorney and obtained all of the relevant permissions and licenses to build your tablet computer? I point you to the recent Apple and Samsung case in the United States. In the worst case scenario if you do not have the proper permissions, licenses, or if your designs infringe on existing patents in Australia, you could be ordered to stop selling your computer and to compensate the patent owners.

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Sounds like a great idea. I have purchased one of these 7″ tablet off ebay to test drive our Android app and was very surprised with the quality and then spec. (for the price)

I turned out that my kids were thinking along the same lines you did and quickly turned it into a gaming machine for 1-7 yo, I think this screen size is optimal for their interaction.

Funny a tablet finding app was mentioned, as I have not seen this for a few days now and my smallest one does a good job of hiding stuff around – so not sure when it will turn up again.

I love the idea, my only concern will be that people might prefer to go for a more “generic” solution and buy a normal tablet. But I guess it is more a marketing/positioning issue then a product one.

DanielM
    Up
    Tiggerito, post: 130437 wrote:
    Love the idea.

I suggest you install a tablet finder app. I’m sure kids will be dropping it all over the place.

Looking into it now mate :)

Divert To Mobile, post: 130448 wrote:

Steve

Sorry Steve, unfortunately the tablet will not support GPS

tonyk, post: 130456 wrote:
    Sounds like a good idea. Best of luck with it all.

Thank you.

spinninghill, post: 130472 wrote:
    Target ideas: probably obvious ones.

Hospitals
    Schools
    Children Charities
    School Holiday groups / camps etc
    Education Suppliers – eg EDCO

Good luck

This was in line with what I was thinking. Sick children would immensely benefit from them as they can render 3d games. I am hoping to offer discounts to primary school children. I will need a good campaign to cover at minimum R&D costs.

Kennethti, post: 130475 wrote:
    Have you spoken with a patent attorney and obtained all of the relevant permissions and licenses to build your tablet computer? I point you to the recent Apple and Samsung case in the United States. In the worst case scenario if you do not have the proper permissions, licenses, or if your designs infringe on existing patents in Australia, you could be ordered to stop selling your computer and to compensate the patent owners.

The design is unique and I have had this looked over. As for the technologies inside the tablet, I will need to do some more research with an expert in the field. Thank you for your valid points.

DanielM
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 130448 wrote:

Steve

Actually to think Steve, the tablet has Google maps just not a dedicated GPS. What did you have in mind?

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hey Daniel I think the idea is pretty cool but there’s 3 things I’d be aware of:

• A hell of a lot of kids will have access to iphones and ipads soon. By 2 and 4 year old have an ipad (my old one), their good friend a 3 year old has an ipad, they are all addicted to our iphones and will have them soon as we upgrade. This will be more and more true as parents upgrade theirs.
    • Tablets are going to get crazy cheap soon. iPad 7 will come out soon it will probably be $300. Kindle Fire 2 will be out soon that will be a lot less, they are talking possibly doing add supported ones etc. Why would someone buy a non name Android one when they could get an Apple one or Kindle and just install some kids apps? This is worth thinking about.
    • You can already get Android tablets for under $100. I’ve had a few they were terrible and useless for kids. Particularly ones that were used to the usability of their parent’s iphones. You’ll have to be careful with this (although I see Nominal has had a different experience, mine was about a year ago).

Hope that helps, good luck, it’s certainly interesting.

DanielM
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 130709 wrote:
    Hey Daniel I think the idea is pretty cool but there’s 3 things I’d be aware of:

• A hell of a lot of kids will have access to iphones and ipads soon. By 2 and 4 year old have an ipad (my old one), their good friend a 3 year old has an ipad, they are all addicted to our iphones and will have them soon as we upgrade. This will be more and more true as parents upgrade theirs.
    • Tablets are going to get crazy cheap soon. iPad 7 will come out soon it will probably be $300. Kindle Fire 2 will be out soon that will be a lot less, they are talking possibly doing add supported ones etc. Why would someone buy a non name Android one when they could get an Apple one or Kindle and just install some kids apps? This is worth thinking about.
    • You can already get Android tablets for under $100. I’ve had a few they were terrible and useless for kids. Particularly ones that were used to the usability of their parent’s iphones. You’ll have to be careful with this (although I see Nominal has had a different experience, mine was about a year ago).

Hope that helps, good luck, it’s certainly interesting.

Thank you for your valuable input. I am more targeting those families and institutions who do not already have Apple products to hand down to their kids and are looking for a solid platform which has a focus on learning. I am not sure about the iPad 7 but I have heard about the new Kindle Fire offering an ad supported platform. I doubt (hopefully) that it will retail for around $100.

Think along the lines of ‘Leap Frog’ and those kinds of children games which aid a childs learning.

There have been numerous improvements even in the last year in regards to tablets which have been built in China. I have been heavily involved in the project so you can be assured the experience would be no different to any Android supported device.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.