Home – New Forums Tech talk building a website Q

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    naughtylittleangel
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

hello,

is this the best forum to ask Q’s regarding building a website? If not, could you please tell me which one is? TIA.

Cheers!
    Lis:)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    naughtylittleangel, post: 165791 wrote:
    hello,

is this the best forum to ask Q’s regarding building a website? If not, could you please tell me which one is? TIA.

Cheers!
    Lis:)Yep!

Ask away…

naughtylittleangel
    Up

thanks again Matthew :)

I have a web host and I am able to start building my site with a stack of different programs available to me, but I don’t know how to start downloading to the public folder it told me to download stuff to.

Do I need to choose the program first, and then it will have a template? I’m worried about downloading the wrong program then being stuck with it.

I hope this makes sense. TIA

Cheers!
    Lis :)

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

I’d say get a web designer to build your site.

It will save you a tonne of work and stress and you can use that energy to spend on your business.

naughtylittleangel
    Up
    NickMorris, post: 165802 wrote:
    I’d say get a web designer to build your site.

It will save you a tonne of work and stress and you can use that energy to spend on your business.

Hi Nick,

I’d love to, but unfortunately funds are tight :(

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Lis,

Could you tell us a bit more about your business?

What sort of role would you like your website to play in your marketing?

You can build a website quickly with any number of tools like OnePager, Wix and SquareSpace – but their value to your business will really depend on your audience and marketing plan.

Initially if most of your marketing is going to be offline then you should be able to build something with one of those that will at least give you a web address.

Long-term though you will need to look at moving away from these solutions as they restrict you to a fraction of the opportunities available to businesses online.

naughtylittleangel
    Up

My business is an online shop selling adult toys aimed predominantly at women. All I want to be able to do is list multiple products on various pages and set up a shopping cart offering PayPal and direct credit payment options.

I thought WordPress and opencart would be fine but I can’t seem to work out how to edit the content to suit my business.

Any advice/assistance will be so greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Lis

CarlieHamilton
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Hi Liz,

Your initial question is a little confusing, I’m not sure what you are talking about. If you can be a bit more specific, we may be able to help more.

If you are attempting to install WordPress and upload a theme, this article I wrote may be a help to you:

http://www.sproutspire.com/how-to-set-up-a-blog/

If you have more specific questions I am sure we would love to help you on here (i.e. What is it that you can’t work out?)

I have to agree with everyone, however, that it may be better for your company in the long run to use a professional, especially as your business is online. You want to establish trust with your customers, and a professional looking website will help.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    James Rayers, post: 165806 wrote:
    Initially if most of your marketing is going to be offline then you should be able to build something with one of those that will at least give you a web address.

Long-term though you will need to look at moving away from these solutions as they restrict you to a fraction of the opportunities available to businesses online.

I’d genuinely be interested to know why you believe Squarespace (can’t comment on the others, don’t know enough about them) restricts opportunities to business.

My experience of it, is there’s not much you can’t do, or data you can’t access.

Cheers

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

If you want to sell, look at WordPress using WooCommerce :)

If you need any help, PM me.

naughtylittleangel
    Up

thank you all for your replies. I’m thinking that I may have to do what Nick advised and get a web designer involved to help me. This leads me to a new set of questions….but I’ll start a new thread with those once bub is asleep!

Thanks again. Your advice was great and gave me lots to think about :)

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    estim8, post: 165809 wrote:
    I’d genuinely be interested to know why you believe Squarespace (can’t comment on the others, don’t know enough about them) restricts opportunities to business.

My experience of it, is there’s not much you can’t do, or data you can’t access.

Cheers

Happy to be proven wrong, but SquareSpace only supports businesses in the US for eCommerce.

James Rayers, post: 165806 wrote:
    Hi Lis,

Could you tell us a bit more about your business?

What sort of role would you like your website to play in your marketing?

You can build a website quickly with any number of tools like OnePager, Wix and SquareSpace – but their value to your business will really depend on your audience and marketing plan.

Unfortunately none of those will work very well for Australian businesses as they don’t include essential localised services like Australia Post and Payment Providers (like eWAY).

If you can at least scrape together a small monthly budget, look at using Shopify (http://www.shopify.com) I’ve just assisted a ‘one-women’ business who built her whole store herself in three days using it. She had previously spent $4.5k on development costs trying to get a different shopping cart built (Magento).

Shopify will support PayPal for getting you accepting payments quickly and when your budget permits you can then add an Australian payment gateway. They’re about to start supporting our new gateway as well which comes with free basic fraud prevention.

Maclean

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    eWAY, post: 165872 wrote:
    Happy to be proven wrong, but SquareSpace only supports businesses in the US for eCommerce.

Maclean

Got me in one.

I haven’t used their eCommerce module, and seeing the OP want’s to sell online it’s possibly useless in this instance.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.