Home Forums Selling online Building a Website…..whats the cost?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49

I am in the process of getting quotes to have a website built.
    I will require to have credit card payments, paypal and shipping costs available to the seller.
    I will be updating stock and information on a regular basis.

I have quotes ranging from $12,000 to $25,000. One company advised me to spent an extra $5,000 per month for online marketing.

Has anyone had any experience in doing your own website? Some people have suggested the likes of elance, 99 designs, weebly and wix.

All my quotes have been Australian companies and all correspondence has been done via email. Has anyone here outsourced to have a website built or have built it yourself?
    Cheers

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414

About as long as a piece of string.

What do you need it to do?

Are you going to provide all of the content (including text, images etc)

Who are you targeting and how?

Do you already have customers?

BrisVegasGhost
    Hatching_It, post: 206788 wrote:
    About as long as a piece of string.

What do you need it to do?

Are you going to provide all of the content (including text, images etc)

Who are you targeting and how?

Do you already have customers?

Twice the length from one end to the middle.

Sell my products.

Yes

Fitness minded people. Social media and online Forums.

No

pixelfish
    • Total posts: 3

Hi there,

It is definitely possible to get an online store built for under $5000.

Those quotes you have been given would most likely be for a bespoke websit (custom designed and built from the ground up) but if you are willing to get a website built using a theme you’ll find the cost dramatically decreases. This is because a theme already has 100+ hours worth of work already gone into it without having to pay for it! Don’t worry good web designers can still make each website look totally unique!

We find that with the online stores we build for our clients, using well built/supported themes ensures your website functions properly and when there are CMS (content managed solutions such WordPress) and Browser updates you’re not up for more costs to fix/update your website. Combining a well built website with an ongoing support agreement with a website business to maintain the software updates for your website will ensure you are always up to date and head ache free!

As for building your own website, this is definitely an option although you would have to consider the cost of 100+ man hours learning the software and building your website, compared to paying experts who do this every day and get it right the first time :)

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253

The amount you mentioned seems to be too expensive. Even if you are going with Magento platform for your online store it shouldn’t cost you that much.

Your requirements seem to be normal. I guess please look around you may find someone reasonable.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    ThexArm, post: 206793 wrote:
    The amount you mentioned seems to be too expensive. Even if you are going with Magento platform for your online store it shouldn’t cost you that much.

Your requirements seem to be normal. I guess please look around you may find someone reasonable.Nope.

It’s pretty hard to say how much is enough – all businesses are different.

If you are a startup who is looking to get your first site, then yes, spending aver $10,00 for a website is a stretch.

However, if you are really wanting to get your site pumping, then $20,000 for site design, planning, SEO research, copywriting, might be just what you need.

If you have a small budget, maybe building it yourself is best.

Hit me up if you need any advice!

Cheers,

Matt

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    BrisVegasGhost, post: 206791 wrote:
    Twice the length from one end to the middle.

Sell my products.

Yes

Fitness minded people. Social media and online Forums.

No

@Hatching_it
    asked you some important questions and you took them trivially. If you want good advice on any forum then you need to provide reasonable information. Website / Online Stores can cost from $100 to $100,000 it all depends on the requirements. If you have quotes from $12k – $25k then I would assume that the scope and requirements that you provided are not out of the box or simple; or they just don’t want to do business with you.

Having an understanding of the business and demographic that you are targeting will help get you a better answer.

If you are a small business with straight forward requirements then you should be able to get what you want for around $2,500 – $5,000 plus $30 – $150 / month. You can find some useful information at http://www.digitalbusiness.gov.au.

If you are selling online and accepting credit cards plus PayPal you can just use PayPal. If you want to use a separate payment gateway for the credit card transactions then there is choice but the gateway will need to be supported by whatever software is being used to build the website. The most common gateways are eWAY, SecurePay and Payment Express all good companies with similar fees and widely supported.

Shipping will depend on the product that you sell and the weight or size of the packages that you send. If non-volatile goods and less than 22kg then generally Australia Post is the best option. Most ecommerce software and systems support an Australia Post calculator to determine shipping cost.

The cost of the website will have a lot determining factors:

1. Design complexity – mobile/tablet support
    2. Number of products – do you need variations like size and colour or bundles
    3. Type of products
    4. Number of pages / categories
    5. Support for external systems i.e. payment, shipping, portals (like eBay, Google Shopping etc)
    6. Features – like Ratings & Review, Cross/Up Sell, Facebook shop, SEO manager, Newsletters, coupons etc
    7. Number of currencies
    8. Number of languages
    9. Selling internationally – different tax regions
    10. Expected visitor volume
    11. How often will stock need to be updated
    12. How much can you do yourself
    13. Blogs, forums, galleries, custom forms
    14. Social media connections – which ones – do you have or want a Facebook page, YouTube channel for instance.

The list can go on but what I am trying to make clear is that the more quality information you provide the better the answers will be.

John

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

+1000 to what John D just said.

The site still won’t have customers on it either – you’ll have to do some form of marketing to get potential customers to actually visit your online store.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    John Debrincat, post: 206795 wrote:
    @Hatching_it asked you some important questions and you took them trivially. If you want good advice on any forum then you need to provide reasonable information. Website / Online Stores can cost from $100 to $100,000 it all depends on the requirements. If you have quotes from $12k – $25k then I would assume that the scope and requirements that you provided are not out of the box or simple; or they just don’t want to do business with you.

Having an understanding of the business and demographic that you are targeting will help get you a better answer.

If you are a small business with straight forward requirements then you should be able to get what you want for around $2,500 – $5,000 plus $30 – $150 / month. You can find some useful information at http://www.digitalbusiness.gov.au.

If you are selling online and accepting credit cards plus PayPal you can just use PayPal. If you want to use a separate payment gateway for the credit card transactions then there is choice but the gateway will need to be supported by whatever software is being used to build the website. The most common gateways are eWAY, SecurePay and Payment Express all good companies with similar fees and widely supported.

Shipping will depend on the product that you sell and the weight or size of the packages that you send. If non-volatile goods and less than 22kg then generally Australia Post is the best option. Most ecommerce software and systems support an Australia Post calculator to determine shipping cost.

3. Type of products
    5. Support for external systems i.e. payment, shipping, portals (like eBay, Google Shopping etc)
    6. Features – like Ratings & Review, Cross/Up Sell, Facebook shop, SEO manager, Newsletters, coupons etc
    7. Number of currencies
    8. Number of languages
    14. Social media connections – which ones – do you have or want a Facebook page, YouTube channel for instance.

The list can go on but what I am trying to make clear is that the more quality information you provide the better the answers will be.

JohnVery good post.

BrisVegasGhost
    John Debrincat, post: 206795 wrote:
    @Hatching_it asked you some important questions and you took them trivially. If you want good advice on any forum then you need to provide reasonable information. Website / Online Stores can cost from $100 to $100,000 it all depends on the requirements. If you have quotes from $12k – $25k then I would assume that the scope and requirements that you provided are not out of the box or simple; or they just don’t want to do business with you.

3. Type of products
    7. Number of currencies
    8. Number of languages

John

Thanks John for your input.
    Out of the 2 website builders I contacted it seemed the quotes where miles apart. This was after supplying all the information as suggested and providing similar links to what I require.

From 12k to 25k…..the higher end might just not need business, I don’t know. It could be the amount needed to set up the required site. Then again the lower end might provide a dud site.

For example this is the sort of thing I am after.
    http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/
    I am not associated with this business I’m just using it so you have an idea.
    Cheers

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    BrisVegasGhost, post: 206854 wrote:
    Thanks John for your input.
    Out of the 2 website builders I contacted it seemed the quotes where miles apart. This was after supplying all the information as suggested and providing similar links to what I require.

From 12k to 25k…..the higher end might just not need business, I don’t know. It could be the amount needed to set up the required site. Then again the lower end might provide a dud site.

For example this is the sort of thing I am after.
    http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/
    I am not associated with this business I’m just using it so you have an idea.
    Cheers

That is a pretty simple online store with a basic design. Something similar would be $5,000 – $7,000 built for you maybe up to $50 – $120 / month looks like a few products between 500 – 1,000 items.

If you use a hosted solution and do some of the work yourself then maybe $2,500 – $3,000 and same sort of monthly fee.

That site is built in some PHP software but no idea what it is.

You could accomplish the same with many open source like WordPress / Woocommerce or something similar to what we do as a hosted solution that you can then manage yourself.

I would spend some more on a decent design that would work better for you than that site.

So look for quotes max $10,000 with a nice design but probably much less really.

John

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406

I build e-commerce websites like this:-

http://greener.logicfilms.com.au/home

and this

http://www.lafemmefatale.com.au/shop

and this

http://www.beebopboutique.com.au/

and this

http://www.fairleysshoes.com.au/

For under 2k.

I don’t upload content.
    I don’t do marketing.
    And I don’t do SEO.

I just design and build websites.

But considering my cost – you’ll have plenty left over for all of that.

When people purchase products – they pay through PayPal. Which accepts credit / debit cards.

Best wishes – Phil.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842

In the interest of perspective, my prices would usually be much closer to the $10k price for a complete site.

That’s simply based on the number of hours that would be spent on the project.

I’m not keen for a debate on pricing for websites, but I thought I add this so as to help manage expectations of people viewing this forum.

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66

Hi

I’m assuming by your name you’re a Brissy business. I work with a Brisbane based website and marketing company ronin.com.au if you wanted to have a look at the sort of work we do and websites.

We build e-commerce websites for generally under those quotes you gave (although it is how long is a piece of string and the cost depends heavily on what specific features you need, how many products to be included etc…) plus can do the ongoing online marketing for you, which includes content, social media, SEO, e-news marketing etc… as well as certain graphic bits and pieces.

If you wanted to get in touch I’d love to have a chat about exactly what you need to provide you with a quote and proposal.

Amber

objectman
    • Total posts: 28

I don’t think anyone should spend more than $5,000 on their first website as getting sales is a learning curve in itself. I build e-commerce sites, but by far the most successful for new businesses are lead generating sites like this one (the one I’m working on today) http://www.solarfreedomaustralia.com

I’ve built e-commerce sites for other companies which aren’t doing so well. It’s not a matter of just put an ecommerce site up there, it’s the whole plan / strategy. But if you have a bunch of individual products like in the example, you might need one. Just don’t get into the mindset of “Now I’ve built it, they will come.”

It’s becoming increasingly difficult with 1bn websites to even get found, let alone make just one sale per day. There’s a lot more to it.

The only time I’d do a site for more than $10K is if the company is already in business and turning over money. Newbies to the online game are simply going to buy their first site for $10,000 (instead of half that) and get a big disappointment when they see not just the traffic, but lack of sales.

It’s what you do around the site that drives active visitors, plus these days you need to get SEO, AdWords and other marketing firmly in place before you start. Gone are the days of the big website launch. Consider a slow one. With a new site, you’re physically leaking onto the web. The flow will increase over time, but much of your effort has to be in online marketing.

Start small and grow bigger. New sites (esp. on new domains) have notoriously low traffic as they have to compete with more established domains with bigger AdWord and SEO budgets – plus they haven’t got the runs on the board or Google’s trust to get too high in search. You could be a spammer seems to be the way new sites are treated right off the bat..

So – build a small site (I’d suggest a free one through wix.com, weebly.com) or almost free (if you pay for domain, ad removal etc) and see how your business works online – and how your customers react.

Here’s an article on web company prices that I wrote a week or so ago – just in case you’re interested.
    http://geoffreymultimedia.com/how-much-is-a-website/

I’m atually not touting for work as I’m literally inundated here, but you can call for a chat if you like. I enjoy random human interaction. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.