Home Forums Selling online Building a Website…..whats the cost?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    MikeG
    • Total posts: 3

Hi,
    we have almost finished our. using magento now. have used oscommerce before but it was crappy.
    Looking at all the post and prices makes my hair stand!
    So, there we go:
    – 10GB of basic server, no ssl, + 1 free domain,+few bits = 89 aud pa
    – magento template – 139 usd – one off (make sure to ALWAYS buy latest template otherwise upgrade to new ecommerce is more than a pain)
    – create company logo, banners, FB,Twitter etc banners, icons for FB – 50 bucks aud
    – create major graphics:sliders, menu graphics, descriptions etc. adds – 70 bucks (no graphical product license required, otherwise it’s hell expensive)
    – plug in to austpost calculator – ~90 buck aud
    – advanced menu 100 bucks aud (although i could get away from this one, it was kinda of extra extra upgrade)
    , well that’s all lol

Bit of advise, buy plug ins that have free 30 day money back and free support. Ive got 4 ppl working on the site for free :) hilarious

even when you get a free plugin pay for the installation. taa daaa. that’s the 4th company that was working on FB login / plugins for 20 bucks!

Funny part:
    – austpost plugin done in Europe
    – logos/graphics in india (canada was 2 expensive)
    -FB plugins came from europe (not sure where, doesn’t matter really)
    – customized menu ( free non stop customizations, code editions) china.

oh yeh, 24/7 support from the hosting site in US, they have one button install ecommerce/all sites from scratch.

My errors:
    – over paid graphic designer, i didn’t need full twitter graphics etc.
    – paid on go daddy for 2 domains. Turns out that i had to transfer the domain for 14 bucks, which is the same price as buying one! Some sites allow for free domain transfer.

i’m considering getting security add on package, a company will monitor the code and apply patches (applying patches is easy, testing is hard…)

to do:

-SEO to do, and guess what, it will take 30 hours or 60 hours. there are plenty of ppl in India who are willing to do that for 50 bucks!
    – CC (haven’t decided yet)
    – edit pdf receipt for tax purposes.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    MikeG, post: 217134, member: 69071 wrote:
    Hi,
    we have almost finished our. using magento now. have used oscommerce before but it was crappy.
    So, there we go:
    – magento template – 139 usd – one off (make sure to ALWAYS buy latest template otherwise upgrade to new ecommerce is more than a pain)
    – create company logo, banners, FB,Twitter etc banners, icons for FB – 50 bucks aud
    – create major graphics:sliders, menu graphics, descriptions etc. adds – 70 bucks (no graphical product license required, otherwise it’s hell expensive)
    – advanced menu 100 bucks aud (although i could get away from this one, it was kinda of extra extra upgrade)
    , well that’s all lol

Bit of advise, buy plug ins that have free 30 day money back and free support. Ive got 4 ppl working on the site for free :) hilarious

even when you get a free plugin pay for the installation. taa daaa. that’s the 4th company that was working on FB login / plugins for 20 bucks!

Funny part:

oh yeh, 24/7 support from the hosting site in US, they have one button install ecommerce/all sites from scratch.

My errors:
    – paid on go daddy for 2 domains. Turns out that i had to transfer the domain for 14 bucks, which is the same price as buying one! Some sites allow for free domain transfer.

i’m considering getting security add on package, a company will monitor the code and apply patches (applying patches is easy, testing is hard…)

to do:

-SEO to do, and guess what, it will take 30 hours or 60 hours. there are plenty of ppl in India who are willing to do that for 50 bucks!
    Do you have a link for us to have a look at this website

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Hi,

Hey Mike, just a quick question as to why you chose Magento? Anyway, good luck and let us know how you got on with it.

annietea
    • Total posts: 15

Thought I’d chime in with my Shopify costs too (in AUD)
    $50/month includes Shopify plus a product tabs app
    $0 for free responsive template, basic accounts with Mailchimp, product reviews, receipt editor, invoice printer, hello bar

Time wise, I opened the Shopify account on the last day of May and have maybe spent 10 hours a week on it. Most of that time would be reading and trial and error.

I agree that the time component is so much more than I expected but it’s become quicker and quicker to make changes the more experience I get in it!

Tantalas
    • Total posts: 20

Shopify is a great tool especially when your getting started. While an installation like Magento is more feature rich it’s a complicated system to work with and adding custom design makes it even more complicated.

Once you have built steady traffic and sales to your website you’ll be better placed to explore more customised solutions.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414

Mike you accidentally listed this in your opening statement rather than your errors list.

To explain..

YOU NEED AN SSL.

Magento will allow your customers to signup/register at checkout which requires entering their email address and password. It’s unacceptable in this day and age to send that data over a non encrypted connection, especially when consumers will likely use that combination in other services such as email (which can be used to gain access to any other service with an email password reset option).

Please please please rectify your SSL situation, this will also likely be required when you add card transactions to your website.

I’m also surprised that you’ve spent so little on a mission critical service (your hosting), I’m sure you’re aware of GoDaddy’s shared hosting reputation and Magento’s hunger for system resources. You’d be much better looking at a host that provides Magento optimised hosting packages. Yes it might cost you an extra couple of hundred dollars a year, but depending on how slow your website runs you may lose far more volume in sales than the extra hosting costs.

Maclean

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49

I didn’t realise this thread had been so active as I had not received any email alerts for some reason. Some very good points have been raised and has also provided me with some clarity.
    As I am a start up Business 4k will be my limit. Most of my sales will come from my sales skills and lots of action. Getting out there face to face with potential clients. I
    I am still designing and doing some revisions on my products so still a lot of work to do. I was considering using “have a look” websites designs.
    But I will have to look over this thread as there has been some useful information and offers.
    Cheers,
    BVG

matthewbell
    • Total posts: 16

WOW $4k is a lot for a site. Feel free to check out my site including the portfolio and if you like the designs I’d be happy to help. Average price for website similar to my one is $499 and for webshop $899…
    As many revisions as you need until you love it.

Good to hear you are getting out face to face. If I get out and walk a stretch of businesses, I will pick up a client or two within a few hours usually. It still is a great way to meet clients.

Regards, Matt

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    matthewbell, post: 217463, member: 69137 wrote:
    WOW $4k is a lot for a site. Feel free to check out my site including the portfolio and if you like the designs I’d be happy to help. Average price for website similar to my one is $499 and for webshop $899…

Good to hear you are getting out face to face. If I get out and walk a stretch of businesses, I will pick up a client or two within a few hours usually. It still is a great way to meet clients.

Regards, Matt
    Yeah that pretty expensive… ;)

Our eCom starts at about $7,000…

MatthewKeath
    Hatching_It, post: 217354, member: 53049 wrote:
    I’m also surprised that you’ve spent so little on a mission critical service (your hosting)

Most new business don’t understand how important this is. They look at $5 bucks per month hosting and pat themselves on their backs for being so clever.

In reality, most people spend more money on coffee than something as important as web hosting. Until something goes wrong, or they wonder why their site is so slow…

MatthewKeath
    Hi,
    So, there we go:
    , well that’s all lol

Funny part:

My errors:

to do:

This entire posts makes me want to weep.

Pay peanuts you get monkeys. (Oldie but a goodie)

$50 buck for SEO? Overpaid the graphic designer!

matthewbell

I agree partially with what you’ve written Matt. Not all cheaper things are of poor quality though, I’ve found plenty of cheap but equally good quality products/services/deals in my life.
    Anyway, at $7k, you should outsource directly to me!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    matthewbell, post: 217463, member: 69137 wrote:

Regards, Matt

My note to BrisVegas, just remember if you are offered a fixed quote of this nature, on the scant specifications you have supplied, you are goig to get the base bones of a skeleton, or there will be constant “”oh you wanted that”” lets add another $X dollars to the price.

matthewbell

Go to fiverr and pay $5 or even $50 for a website and it will certainly happen.
    Don’t be so quick to judge me Bert, it was not a fixed quote, it was stated as an average price. We also do custom jobs including custom (higher) prices.

MatthewKeath
    matthewbell, post: 217508, member: 69137 wrote:
    I agree partially with what you’ve written Matt. Not all cheaper things are of poor quality though, I’ve found plenty of cheap but equally good quality products/services/deals in my life.
    Anyway, at $7k, you should outsource directly to me!Not all all :) Websites are needed for all budgets. I used to service that level and have been slowley been moving my target audience over the last two years. They were too much trouble!
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.