Home Forums Selling online Building a Website…..whats the cost?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87

For my website I was quoted between $20,000 to $30,000 from an agency.

Didn’t know it would be this expensive, but once they showed me what needed to be done, it made complete sense. Also the whole “you get what you pay for” goes into this.

Still to this day, I do not believe anyone should pay that much but what can you do?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    JohnTranter, post: 241390, member: 20554 wrote:
    If I was you, I’d make a list of core functions that you need and create test scripts based on these.
    e.g. User can login, user can add a product to their cart, user can subscribe to newsletter if logged in.
    Make sure all the tests are positive before agreeing that the site is complete.

Really the horse has bolted on this one, if these scenrio’s weren’t documented in the original specification for the website, you can’t at this late stage start adding additional criteria / tests to it. It all comes down to how tight your original build specification was. As an example If the original specification didn’t mention user can subscribe to newsletter if logged in, no point testing for it,

It all comes back to how tightly or loosely you made your specification

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    bb1, post: 241402, member: 53375 wrote:
    Really the horse has bolted on this one, if these scenrio’s weren’t documented in the original specification for the website, you can’t at this late stage start adding additional criteria / tests to it.

Sorry, yes you’re right Bert. I should have clarified that these tests should only be for functionality that’s either in the original requirements document, or be standard for an e-commerce site. .e.g add an item to the cart.

You’d be surprised how many ‘finished’ sites I see where the user is unable to purchase anything because of some missing function.

Test, test and test.

Zarabasiri
    • Total posts: 16

Hey BrisVegasGhost,

Such a cool name, I know a very professional website design and developer company in Melbourne for your e-commerce store specially, they always give reasonable prices. they’ve worked with well known Australian, UK, United state brands as well as doing designing for Australian TV Character, email me if you’d like to get their contact details.
    By the way, I do SEO, Adwords and Google Shopping set up for E-commerce stores as well as social media ad campaigns and youtube marketing for your products and ranking you on top of youtube results as well.

Contact me if you are interested in getting more information.

Happy to help :)

Thanks & Regards
    Zara

BrisVegasGhost, post: 206785, member: 49907 wrote:
    I am in the process of getting quotes to have a website built.
    I will require to have credit card payments, paypal and shipping costs available to the seller.
    I will be updating stock and information on a regular basis.

I have quotes ranging from $12,000 to $25,000. One company advised me to spent an extra $5,000 per month for online marketing.

Has anyone had any experience in doing your own website? Some people have suggested the likes of elance, 99 designs, weebly and wix.

All my quotes have been Australian companies and all correspondence has been done via email. Has anyone here outsourced to have a website built or have built it yourself?
    Cheers

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213

I chime in very late…. I think there is no such thing as building a website and then it’s done. You have to work on it every week , if not every day, add products, write something, chage something…..Unless you can afford to pay someone to do that it’s and ongoing work.

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    JohnTranter, post: 241404, member: 20554 wrote:
    Sorry, yes you’re right Bert. I should have clarified that these tests should only be for functionality that’s either in the original requirements document, or be standard for an e-commerce site. .e.g add an item to the cart.

You’d be surprised how many ‘finished’ sites I see where the user is unable to purchase anything because of some missing function.

Test, test and test.

I have been performing tests upon tests on the preview/platform site they have provided. Have had to tell them to change a few things which I thought seemed obvious.

But I am now having problems with the checkout. Shipping costs aren’t calculated correctly and postcodes are missing. The website company said today they are looking into but I wont get my site for about another 2 weeks.
    Products still have to be loaded and its seems to be a long process since I paid for this to start back in August. So looking at 16 weeks for the build…
    It honestly seems like a production line with this company. You are always dealing with different people. I have 10% balance owing to pay to receive handover.

Once I have the site handed over I want to move from this company. They are trying to get me to sign up for there seo. But after experiencing there service I just don’t put trust in this company. And the online reviews are not the best.
    Once I get the site completed how do I go about finding someone to take over the cms?
    This company is charging $50 pm and I have to pay $350 to leave them.
    Cheers

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,183
    BrisVegasGhost, post: 241664, member: 49907 wrote:
    I have been performing tests upon tests on the preview/platform site they have provided. Have had to tell them to change a few things which I thought seemed obvious.

But I am now having problems with the checkout. Shipping costs aren’t calculated correctly and postcodes are missing. The website company said today they are looking into but I wont get my site for about another 2 weeks.
    Products still have to be loaded and its seems to be a long process since I paid for this to start back in August. So looking at 16 weeks for the build…
    It honestly seems like a production line with this company. You are always dealing with different people. I have 10% balance owing to pay to receive handover.

Once I have the site handed over I want to move from this company. They are trying to get me to sign up for there seo. But after experiencing there service I just don’t put trust in this company. And the online reviews are not the best.
    Once I get the site completed how do I go about finding someone to take over the cms?
    Cheers
    Step is to make sure that you do not make the same mistake twice.

My advice is to create two threads on flying solo.

The first thread should ask precisely what you should expect from an e commerce website maintenance package and how much you should pay for that.

You should make sure you know exactly what you need before you start shopping around.

Ask on here for recommendations about reliable providers. Soloist do not spend half a big budget I’m trying to get a sale . They are all about providing the service you need.

The second thread should ask for recommendation about competent and reliable e-commerce developers.

You can search our directories to find providers that offer the services you are looking for.

Good luck with phase 2.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213

Sounds that you would have been off better doing it yourself.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842

Do you know which CMS it is?

Cheers

How does that work? Don’t you own the website?
    I’m starting to wonder if I’m using the wrong business model ;)

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    JohnTranter, post: 241710, member: 20554 wrote:
    Do you know which CMS it is?

How does that work? Don’t you own the website?
    I’m starting to wonder if I’m using the wrong business model ;)
    Hi John
    They are sorting out the hosting as part of the monthly CMS cost, we can also setup emails for you we just need the logins.
    cheers

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    BrisVegasGhost, post: 241980, member: 49907 wrote:
    Hi John
    They are sorting out the hosting as part of the monthly CMS cost, we can also setup emails for you we just need the logins.
    cheers
    What’s the CMS?

If you don’t know and what to know shoot me a message with the URL and I can find out for you.

bizzwizz
    • Total posts: 8

If you are not too bad with a computer, you can do it for a fraction of the cost of some of the prices posted in this thread. I just built my Magento 2 store for under $250.

• 12 months hosting = $96
    • Magento 2 = free
    • Premium Theme for Magento 2 = $100
    • Domain Name = $16
    John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    bizzwizz, post: 242173, member: 61422 wrote:
    If you are not too bad with a computer, you can do it for a fraction of the cost of some of the prices posted in this thread. I just built my Magento 2 store for under $250.

• 12 months hosting = $96
    • Magento 2 = free
    • Premium Theme for Magento 2 = $100
    • Domain Name = $16

[USER=61422]@bizzwizz[/USER] share the URL to the website I am sure that you will get some good feedback.

But in reality I would not recommend this approach to a beginner even one that was “not too bad with a computer”.

John

bizzwizz
    • Total posts: 8
    John Debrincat, post: 242174, member: 2969 wrote:
    [USER=61422]@bizzwizz[/USER] share the URL to the website I am sure that you will get some good feedback.

But in reality I would not recommend this approach to a beginner even one that was “not too bad with a computer”.

John
    Hahaha….Thanks John, but not here to promote my site!;)

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.