Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Building Industry Marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rolli
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some idea’s for building a marketing plan for my new business.

To give you some background, I operate a within a niche market that is not serviced by the mainstream providers. 80%+ of my business is direct to business, with the remainder being to the ‘diy’er’ market.

My problem is, marketing to the building industry is difficult, in the sense that most ‘builders’ are self employed and rely on word of mouth to source work and suppliers, which is the single biggest wall I face in building brand awareness. Once I can get to these people, it is a realitively easy process to demonstrate our cost effectiveness compared to mainstream providers and/or other alternatives (even tho our prices are higher than other options, we are a flat cost where as alternatives have hidden costs that people forget or ignore).

My question is, has anyone had any experience in marketing directly to the building industry? If so, how did you find it – and what (in your opinion) was the most effective avenue?

Currently, I am working on the ‘word or mouth’ avenue, I always ask for referrals and I am door knocking as much as possible just to ‘let people know’ the business exists. In these conversations, I solely ask the prospect to ‘compare us on your next job’ see what you think and which avenue is really cheaper (after reminding them of ALL the costs involved in alternative providers in the industry).

I am trying to take a slightly different approach to my marketing at the moment, instead of targetting immediate business (tho I hope this results) I am trying to build brand awareness. So far, where I have successfully gained work from this, the feedback from the customer has been hugely positive, with comments like ‘where have you guys been? – I wish I knew of you sooner – I cant believe how quick/simple it is’

Which is all great feedback, but the niche I operate in is untapped, so any ideas on how to ‘get to’ the tradies market effectively would be hugely appriciated!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Rolli,

Have you considered radio advertising? I know I hear a lot of building and related ads on the radio… And, a lot of tradies would have the radio on whilst working I imagine (as do a lot of other people) so if you picked the right radio station you might reach a large audience quickly?

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Rolli,

Have you considered radio advertising? I know I hear a lot of building and related ads on the radio… And, a lot of tradies would have the radio on whilst working I imagine (as do a lot of other people) so if you picked the right radio station you might reach a large audience quickly?

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    rolli, post: 112072 wrote:
    I operate a within a niche market that is not serviced by the mainstream providers. 80%+ of my business is direct to business, with the remainder being to the ‘diy’er’ market.

and/or other alternatives (even tho our prices are higher than other options, we are a flat cost where as alternatives have hidden costs that people forget or ignore).

You need to do some market research, but I suspect the DIYers may be easier to reach than the tradies, or at least will require different strategies.

I would do the following:
    1) set up a site which promotes your selling proposition – price comparison sheets, video and a survey. (It should also have a mobile version for tradies.)
    2) Set up a geographically focussed pay per click campaign and push traffic through
    3) Promote your site through all the other promotional channels.
    4) If your product is not well known, or is new, use placement ads on Google in addition to search ads.
    5) Analyse the results – you will definitely have a much better understanding of your niche.

I think DIYers will use the Internet to find your product because they research the problem online. This is different behavior to tradies.

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    rolli, post: 112072 wrote:
    I operate a within a niche market that is not serviced by the mainstream providers. 80%+ of my business is direct to business, with the remainder being to the ‘diy’er’ market.

and/or other alternatives (even tho our prices are higher than other options, we are a flat cost where as alternatives have hidden costs that people forget or ignore).

You need to do some market research, but I suspect the DIYers may be easier to reach than the tradies, or at least will require different strategies.

I would do the following:
    1) set up a site which promotes your selling proposition – price comparison sheets, video and a survey. (It should also have a mobile version for tradies.)
    2) Set up a geographically focussed pay per click campaign and push traffic through
    3) Promote your site through all the other promotional channels.
    4) If your product is not well known, or is new, use placement ads on Google in addition to search ads.
    5) Analyse the results – you will definitely have a much better understanding of your niche.

I think DIYers will use the Internet to find your product because they research the problem online. This is different behavior to tradies.

rolli
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for the response, I have considered radio advertising, But am concerned with the associated costs at this early stage – that said I haven’t thoroughly researched the costs associated to producing and playing an advert (and which time slot(s) & station).

Tony, you have almost perfectly summaried my marketing for the DIY market… It’s having modest success and keeping me busy on the weekend, but there are 5 other days to worry about, which are the tradies domain, and I am really struggling to find an effect way to direct target them in a cost effective manner – radio would work well, but keeping costs low at this stage is a priority!

In my opinion, getting to the individual to explain the service offering and it’s cost advantages are key, I’ve only found this viable by walking up to anyone/everyone and flying the banner to all that would listen!!

rolli
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for the response, I have considered radio advertising, But am concerned with the associated costs at this early stage – that said I haven’t thoroughly researched the costs associated to producing and playing an advert (and which time slot(s) & station).

Tony, you have almost perfectly summaried my marketing for the DIY market… It’s having modest success and keeping me busy on the weekend, but there are 5 other days to worry about, which are the tradies domain, and I am really struggling to find an effect way to direct target them in a cost effective manner – radio would work well, but keeping costs low at this stage is a priority!

In my opinion, getting to the individual to explain the service offering and it’s cost advantages are key, I’ve only found this viable by walking up to anyone/everyone and flying the banner to all that would listen!!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    rolli, post: 112174 wrote:

Start with two trades, say electrician and plumber. Google these for your local area. Get contact details and give them your spiel. Work from there.

It will be a long, slow process, but remember that word-of-mouth is vital in the building industry.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    rolli, post: 112174 wrote:

Start with two trades, say electrician and plumber. Google these for your local area. Get contact details and give them your spiel. Work from there.

It will be a long, slow process, but remember that word-of-mouth is vital in the building industry.

Wendy :)

rolli
    Up

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your response.

After a long weekend of thinking about this issue, I realised I have over looked the single most effective marketing strategy (in my opinion!).

Asking for referrals!

You are completely correct, word of mouth is key. Starting tomorrow, every customer contact will end with a request for a name and number of a referral. Leveraging off this, I can use the referrer as the champion of my business for the new lead to validate our business value to the new lead.

I am kicking myself for forgetting this one!!

rolli
    Up

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your response.

After a long weekend of thinking about this issue, I realised I have over looked the single most effective marketing strategy (in my opinion!).

Asking for referrals!

You are completely correct, word of mouth is key. Starting tomorrow, every customer contact will end with a request for a name and number of a referral. Leveraging off this, I can use the referrer as the champion of my business for the new lead to validate our business value to the new lead.

I am kicking myself for forgetting this one!!

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

As far as SEO goes, it’s all local SEO which you can do for free. I have two builders and a plumber I’ve done now and all three are getting 7 + leads a week – which for a regular website is crappola but for a builder, it’s more than enough. For me, building industry is all about networking and local seo.

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

As far as SEO goes, it’s all local SEO which you can do for free. I have two builders and a plumber I’ve done now and all three are getting 7 + leads a week – which for a regular website is crappola but for a builder, it’s more than enough. For me, building industry is all about networking and local seo.

HughS
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Difficult to provide specifics whout knowing a bit more about what your product/service is, but here are a couple of ideas.

1. Turn your business card into a video using QR code, the video need to be no more than 60 seconds, and finally redirect to your website. Then leave the business cards at DIY stores for people to pick up.

2. Video email program. A series of 7 – 10 short 60-90 second videos each leaving a small hook to the next one, but also having a call to action. These go out every 2 days. By about the 7th virtually 80% of your recipients will be calling you.

3. Some very carefull keyword research around your product using google keyword tool, see what people are searching for and the numbers. There is no point using keywords that don’t have searches as so many people do. Then produce a series of short videos and add to your Youtube channel, each video title MUST be optomised around one of the keyword strings and the opener or the description must hyperlink back to your website with the full http:// prefix.

This will start bringing your videos into page 1 of the search and interested people will start finding you. Stats indicate that around 75% of people searching for something and finding a video pertaining to their search on the first page will look at it.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

HughS
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Difficult to provide specifics whout knowing a bit more about what your product/service is, but here are a couple of ideas.

1. Turn your business card into a video using QR code, the video need to be no more than 60 seconds, and finally redirect to your website. Then leave the business cards at DIY stores for people to pick up.

2. Video email program. A series of 7 – 10 short 60-90 second videos each leaving a small hook to the next one, but also having a call to action. These go out every 2 days. By about the 7th virtually 80% of your recipients will be calling you.

3. Some very carefull keyword research around your product using google keyword tool, see what people are searching for and the numbers. There is no point using keywords that don’t have searches as so many people do. Then produce a series of short videos and add to your Youtube channel, each video title MUST be optomised around one of the keyword strings and the opener or the description must hyperlink back to your website with the full http:// prefix.

This will start bringing your videos into page 1 of the search and interested people will start finding you. Stats indicate that around 75% of people searching for something and finding a video pertaining to their search on the first page will look at it.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.