Home – New Forums Starting your journey Buildng a portfolio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nel
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

i am in process off starting a webdesign/marketing agency, and to start it off i was wondering if i should provide a free services inorder to get a portfolio going for my business. The only thing the clients would have to pay for is the maintenciance/server space which would be roughly 25 dollars a month.

would this be a good idea?

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Nel,

There are different views on the value of freebies depending on the situation. In some cases freebies can boost sales, in other cases they can send a message to potential clients that you don’t value your work. Have you considered a discounted introductory offer as opposed to a straight-out freebie?

Best of luck,

Jodie

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Hi,

I am in exactly the same situation myself.

I am offering heavily discounted services basically at cost to generate work and build a word of mouth network.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

When I first started out, I offered a 25% “thanks for trying my services” discount off the client’s first project as a way to give them some assurance, and give me some income. The job would be quoted and invoiced to show what the full amount would normally be (and any future jobs) so as not to devalue my work, but it gave sufficient incentive for them to give me a try.

By making this an introductory offer only it meant if they were happy enough to use me again that there would be no expectations of reduced costs on further work.

I personally think this is a better tact than offering free services, which doesn’t always attract the best sort of client. You want people that value what you do and are prepared to pay for it… now, and down the track.

nel
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 170022 wrote:
    When I first started out, I offered a 25% “thanks for trying my services” discount off the client’s first project as a way to give them some assurance, and give me some income. The job would be quoted and invoiced to show what the full amount would normally be (and any future jobs) so as not to devalue my work, but it gave sufficient incentive for them to give me a try.

By making this an introductory offer only it meant if they were happy enough to use me again that there would be no expectations of reduced costs on further work.

I personally think this is a better tact than offering free services, which doesn’t always attract the best sort of client. You want people that value what you do and are prepared to pay for it… now, and down the track.

Hey, i am planning on doing a similar thing, where when they checkout, there invoice is discounted by 100%. If they need futher customizations they would pay the full price. I guess its important to let them know that the discount is just for a limited few clients.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    nel, post: 170040 wrote:
    I guess its important to let them know that the discount is just for a limited few clients.

Absolutely! And I’d still be inclined to charge something for your time. It might be better to offer a ‘money back guarantee’ if they’re not happy, rather than a 100% discount straight up.. but whatever works for you :)

Alex Benedict
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    nel, post: 169992 wrote:
    i am in process off starting a webdesign/marketing agency, and to start it off i was wondering if i should provide a free services inorder to get a portfolio going for my business. The only thing the clients would have to pay for is the maintenciance/server space which would be roughly 25 dollars a month.

would this be a good idea?

Hi Nel,

One thought that comes to mind is the time and effort of doing things for free. What is the real cost to you by doing this and not something else? The something else may be more effective and less troublesome.

All the best with it.

JWDesign
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Nel,

I’m providing my services heavily discounted to build relationships with my clients. The market is tight and to compete with established firms (which are also pricing their services competitively) I have to discount or I won’t get a look in. I think in many ways startups have to do what they can to get a foothold – and if it means offering free work initially, then so be it. In my line of work relationships are everything so unfortunately it’s a necessary evil. The key is not to forget what you’re worth and have a long term vision for growth which can accommodate the short term pain.

Best of luck

Jamie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.