Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Bumper Stickers ? Fridge Magnets ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

If you were given a bumper sticker by a business you used and like would you place it on your car or where would it go ?

If you dislike bumper stickers or would throw it in the trash: Would you prefer to receive a fridge magnet instead ?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Small fridge magnets are great because if people like them they will keep them for future reference. Bumper stickers are really like advertising and referrals, so you need to have them as clientele first.

mtpocket
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I think as far as bumper stickers- it’s all about the message.
    I see Reece plumbing supply’s stickers all over and I put it on my van as well.
    “Don’t risk it, use a licensed plumber” and next to it just the Reece logo.
    I think that works. I was tempted to put up a St Kilda Saints sticker as well , but nah. :)
    Magnets are great , but as the trend going now everyone try to out do the others and getting bigger and bigger. I have a few on my fridge.

Anonymous
    Up

My bumper stickers were going to be along the lines

* I (heart) my pet sitter !
    * My pet sitter is a (star) !
    * My pets (heart) their pet sitter !

with my website address and logo on it

My fridge magnets were going to be simple: business card sized business cards given to current clients only with a few placed “strategically” on my car to be “stolen”.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I personally can’t stand bumper stickers, and most of the people I know don’t use them either.

Fridge magnets – they hang around this house forever, even if I don’t like/use the product! There’s something about a magnet that makes it hard to throw out.

Kristine @ Bigger Image
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Definately the fridge magnets! They’re useful, looked at often and kept. Bumper stickers though … the thing is, unless it’s a well known brand already – or you have really dedicated followers – I don’t think people will use them as much. As you point out, what happens to them if they don’t end up on the car? Most likely thrown in the bin! Instead, if you’re a local business looking for local business, why not get your car signwritten? Everybody notices a sign written car!

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    Melinda_B, post: 36492 wrote:
    There’s something about a magnet that makes it hard to throw out.

Stuck to the fridge?

mtpocket (I just got that) has it right, if you use a bumper sticker you need to have message people would be proud to display. Perhaps something like ‘Love your pet!’ with your details in smaller text.

I think a fridge magnet would be good for your type of business, if you’re trying to find the details for yourself or someone else you know where to look. Much better than digging through draws looking for a business card, especially for a business you might only use 1 or 2 times a year.

Jason

danb
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Magnets are the way to go.

As others have said, bumper stickers are not popular… You need really dedicated and loyal fans/customers for this approach – No one is going to put an adhesive sticker on their pretty car if its not a brand that makes them look cool… or a major statement, I don’t think a pet sitting company will cut through unfortunately – Have a look at cars on the road today, how many have stickers on them (apart from dealer labels), It’s mostly a tradie specific thing these days. No brick layer or plumber is going to put a “My pet sitter is a star!” stick on their ute ;)

Magnets on the other hand are incredibly suitable for your market, so useful and a quick reference!

Also, have you considered getting leashes / collars or something similar made instead? Would be quite a cute promo item!

D

Anonymous
    Up

Hi Vanessa,
    I’m with the others on the magnets – there’s a very savvy dog walker around here who leaves them at eye level on the metal light poles along a popular dog walking route. They’re really cute and eye-catching, and I’m sure it works well for her.

As Kristine suggested, the same lady has also had her car wrapped with a similar design and that is often seen about the place too. I imagine that anyone in this neighbourhood who needs dog walking would think of her immediately.

Good luck!
    Jayne

James | Bay Beans coffee
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Nice topic.

Fridge magnets work well for me – but thats because the kitchen is the hub of the home, its where my customers are at. I produce coffee beans, so my message is in the right spot, with the right audience.

I guess if I was in the business of computer support, I would want a sticker on the users computer keyboard or bottom of the screen – thats where my audience is.

now, I guess we have to think about where your audience is.. sure, they are in the kitchen, but they are also in other places.. a bumper sticker could be good for local community message, but will it be effective beyond some brand recognition or a bit of humour… unless your targeting dogs chasing cars ;-)

As an idea, what about a dog food measuring scoop with your details on it.. or for something that costs a little more, a pet food bowl, or pet food container both branded… basic dog brush (for product association)..

you might be best if you havent already, spend 50bucks or so to get a full rear window sign on the bag of your own car, and your partners, and anyone else you can convince…. simple message is best “Dog Grooming 9999-1234”

what do you think?

PS: Join our VIP Club to receive gifts http://www.baybeans.com.au/vip

James Axisa
    Bay Beans Gourmet Coffee Beans
    Buy online or call 8208 3477
    t 02 8208 3477 | m 0428 555 535
    http://www.baybeans.com.au | [email protected]

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Stickers here get chucked ASAP before the kids see them and they end up stuck to the painted walls, timber floors etc.

Magnets aren’t something I’m a huge fan of, unless they are good ones with a clip attached. My husband on the other hand is magnet obsessed and gets quite disappointed at places like drs etc where the business card isn’t magnetic!

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

I find service based business fridge magnets are great. Especially ones for the plumber, electrician etc for easy reference, or for others in the house if I’m away. I’m not going to walk down to my car to get a number.

Unless it is a company I really like and identify I’m not likely to put up someones advertising message on my car.

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Naturally, I am a big fan of branded / promotional items (that’s my business) – promo products are so useful and long lasting and great for big and small companies..

The key is the use the right item for the audience you are targeting – so bumper stickers may suit some but not others … fridge magnets are always popular and there is such a choice of design … beyond the standard variety you see.

For your business there are lots of fun options … would be happy to have a chat and make recommendations / provide costings. Email and we can review a few ideas.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I agree with all of the above, and wanted to just add a couple points….

In my experience, bumper stickers no longer work for most markets. The main exceptions are strong brands marketed at tradespeople, B&S Ball Fans who drive Ute’s (brands like Bundy, Wrangler etc), and top level football clubs.

The Reece one is a classic example, I also remember another great one to the same type of market by a company Abey Australia which said “i’m a well hung plumber, I only use Abey Clips”, and also one for Steeline with “Roofers do it on top” or something like that.

And my all time favorite bumper sticker is a John Deere one that simply states “Trucks are Red. Tractors are Green” with a little John Deere logo at the end. Amazingly clever and subtle branding in my book – as every kid thinks trucks are red, and John Deere is actually the only main brand of tractor that is painted green.

Obviously the Abey and Steeline ones play on the humor as do many other successful bumper stickers, but the main thing all these have in common, be it Bundy, Reece, John Deere or St Kilda someone mentioned is they are all brands that have managed to build a tribe/culture around their brand. The bumper sticker cannot build the foundations of the brand, rather it allows people to show off that they are part of a “tribe” – just like the “Bra Boys” tattoos do. As it then gets to a certain level of popularity, others want to be in on the “tribe” and sign up.

This idea of building a tribe/culture around a brand is attractive, however there are very few cases of being able to build a brand to the level of people wanting to display them via the stickers themselves. The only example that comes to mind is Conargo Pub who probably makes as much off stickers as beer, but it’s an exception. Rather in most cases the brand/tribe comes first, and the stickers build it.

So what is the point of this long story – If you are a brand targetting tradespeople or ute fans, and have the market strength to have a chance to build the “tribe effect” then go for it. Otherwise, it may not be your best marketing tactic.

Magnets on the other hand are the opposite – perfect for local marketing for the solo or small business, particularly if you ARE a tradesperson or service provider such as a doctor or carpet cleaner for example. In this case, your target market is the householder. People stick magnets on their fridge, and you have a far better chance of it staying in sight ready for when they want it than for most other forms of physical advertising.

Anonymous
    Up
    Kristine @ Bigger Image, post: 36493 wrote:
    Definately the fridge magnets! They’re useful, looked at often and kept. Bumper stickers though … the thing is, unless it’s a well known brand already – or you have really dedicated followers – I don’t think people will use them as much. As you point out, what happens to them if they don’t end up on the car? Most likely thrown in the bin! Instead, if you’re a local business looking for local business, why not get your car signwritten? Everybody notices a sign written car!

Because then I’m all about my business 24/7 if my car has decals on it.

Also, would you think poorly of a business if you saw a cop car behind it (who had pulled it over) or was speeding ?

Besides, the car I have isn’t technically mine nor is it the best looking car around (dirty, bumps, scratches, etc). It is a throw away car.. my friend “sold” it to me as I needed an interim car whilst I built up my business, got rid of some debts so I could get a loan to get a better car.

After all of these comments I’ve started putting magnets on the back of some of my business cards whilst I save up to buy a ton of actually magnetized cards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.