Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business and Direction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dru86
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Good Morning Everyone,

Well I have been lurking behind these pages for a little while now, trying to soak up some of the very useful information that gets around. I have come to a point though where I thought I best start asking some questions to help myself with direction.

Over 6 years ago I used to run a small photography business based around motorsport and automotive photography. Even got some photo shoots published in some magazines which was a highlight – although the business didn’t get off the ground due to a number of factors but I would have to say lack of confidence in my product would definitely have been the big one. So fast forward to today – I left the photography behind, became a plumber by trade and now work on Gas Drilling Rigs. Quite a variety of work, and now a 2 week on/off roster that allows myself to focus attention to a new beginning. All this time though, I’ve had the desire to run my own business – something to be proud of and say is mine – hence the reason I am on here at the moment.

I wanted to ask the question, how did you come across your business idea? Was it through luck, hard work or continuous failures of other ideas?

For myself, I would love to set myself into the motorsport/automotive industry, supplying products or services – I want to use my business to help fund my dream goal I’ve had since I was 16 – enter the Targa Tasmania!

I have been thinking high and low of what services or products I could provide to this industry, and I cannot seem to see anything that is feasible – lacking a mentor I think does not help either. I feel that I have the skills and ability (with some fine tuning needed) along with a partner that is highly organised and extremely proficient with dealing with people.

Any help in how to find direction or how you found direction would be great!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to Flying Solo! We’re glad to have you on board.

I think if you narrow things down for us a little by including what you love about this industry and what experiences you’ve had you’ll get some more tailored advice.

A question to get you started: Who could you help today with the knowledge or skills you have? You’ve worked in the industry before, so literally write down a name and what you could offer them help with. This might not give you the ultimate answer but it’s the fastest way to an overnight service business.

Good luck!

Dave

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

What an exciting transition of businesses – I have both experience in the fields that you are discussing and would be happy to work as a mentor for you.

Sometimes a brainstorming session or two can get you across the line and heading where you want to be.

From my own experience I have owned several different types of businesses before settling with the idea of being able to help, support and inspire others for their own success. My business now truly feels like the one that is not a job. Each day I am inspired by my clients and that drives my passion to do more.

Dru86
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 192252 wrote:
    Hi there,

Firstly welcome to Flying Solo! We’re glad to have you on board.

I think if you narrow things down for us a little by including what you love about this industry and what experiences you’ve had you’ll get some more tailored advice.

A question to get you started: Who could you help today with the knowledge or skills you have? You’ve worked in the industry before, so literally write down a name and what you could offer them help with. This might not give you the ultimate answer but it’s the fastest way to an overnight service business.

Good luck!

Dave

Ok, so what I love about this industry. It has to be the whole modification/performance that comes with motorsport that I love. Seeing and experiencing a big variety of modified cars at events is amazing and makes myself want to be a part of it. People pushing the boundaries and creating, what I see, works of art. There is just something about it that makes me want to down in the thick of it.

In regards to knowledge and skills, I believe I have a large variety of skills but no clear direction with them. On one hand, I have experience designing, creating and publishing anything from brochures, banners to t-shirts; then on the other hand I enjoy building things with my hands, pulling equipment down and putting it back together. On top of that – I like to design, product design is something I wish I continued from High School and every now and then I like to sketch down random product ideas. I feel like I have some of the tools to help me bring something into the industry but I am just unsure how to go about it.

In fact, I did do one thing yesterday. There is a racetrack being built not far from where I live now, I was able to get an email to the owner and offered my assistance in anyway possible as I would like to get more ground work exposure to the industry. Not sure if anything will come of it but I can’t say I didn’t try.

MissSassy, post: 192258 wrote:
    What an exciting transition of businesses – I have both experience in the fields that you are discussing and would be happy to work as a mentor for you.

Sometimes a brainstorming session or two can get you across the line and heading where you want to be.

From my own experience I have owned several different types of businesses before settling with the idea of being able to help, support and inspire others for their own success. My business now truly feels like the one that is not a job. Each day I am inspired by my clients and that drives my passion to do more.

Thankyou for your input. I try to carry out brain storming with my partner but it is hard because she doesn’t exactly share my interest in the same field. Not that she isn’t willing to help, she is supportive of it.

I have even contemplated selling some t-shirts that I have had ideas about, just to get myself running a business so I can form some groundwork and get a feel for how to go about it all.

jordanwhittaker
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    Dru86, post: 192245 wrote:
    Good Morning Everyone,

Well I have been lurking behind these pages for a little while now, trying to soak up some of the very useful information that gets around. I have come to a point though where I thought I best start asking some questions to help myself with direction.

Over 6 years ago I used to run a small photography business based around motorsport and automotive photography. Even got some photo shoots published in some magazines which was a highlight – although the business didn’t get off the ground due to a number of factors but I would have to say lack of confidence in my product would definitely have been the big one. So fast forward to today – I left the photography behind, became a plumber by trade and now work on Gas Drilling Rigs. Quite a variety of work, and now a 2 week on/off roster that allows myself to focus attention to a new beginning. All this time though, I’ve had the desire to run my own business – something to be proud of and say is mine – hence the reason I am on here at the moment.

I wanted to ask the question, how did you come across your business idea? Was it through luck, hard work or continuous failures of other ideas?

For myself, I would love to set myself into the motorsport/automotive industry, supplying products or services – I want to use my business to help fund my dream goal I’ve had since I was 16 – enter the Targa Tasmania!

I have been thinking high and low of what services or products I could provide to this industry, and I cannot seem to see anything that is feasible – lacking a mentor I think does not help either. I feel that I have the skills and ability (with some fine tuning needed) along with a partner that is highly organised and extremely proficient with dealing with people.

Any help in how to find direction or how you found direction would be great!

I feel you man, im in the exact same boat as you and have been for a while, im just going to take a risk and do something though!

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I am happy to have a brainstorming session with you if you are interested – just let me know.

rob.aspirus
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

It sounds like you’re on the starting grid, but afraid to take your foot off the clutch and take off!

That’s ok. You’re not alone. You’re right that you need a mentor. You need someone to help you take all your excitement and enthusiasm and channel it into a business plan. Then you can apply your energy and effort more effectively to move your business concept in the right direction.

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more about this. Your ideas and enthusiasm are too good to waste!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.