Home Forums Starting your journey Business and domain name help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mahdi Danesh
    • Total posts: 8

Hi everyone,
    I want to start an online store in Melbourne to sell LED Sign and LED Display. After doing some research regarding SEO I found that I need a domain name for my website with “led” and “sign” in it. Therefore Google gives it a little bit more credit to show up in the first page. However the name is a small part of SEO.
    One of friend suggested me to use ledsignsolution.com.au as domain name and business name as well. LED Sign Solution is available as business name so, I purchased this domain name, installed a CMS on it, upload a little content on it and …

But, i found that the other businesses use “solutions” (plural form) at the end of the business name, not solution! My problem is that both led sign solution and led sign solutions are available as business name, but, ledsignsolutioS.com.au is taken by someone else! But there is no site hosted on this domain and has not been used (at least for a long time). I found the owner of the ledsignsolutions.com.au and had a chat with him. It seems that this domain name is not taken for a business. probably this guy has purchased it to sell with higher price later. I am negotiating to purchase it. But I need some advise.

I wanted to ask you if “LED Sign Solution” could be a good business name? I don’t want to choose a name looks stupid! or even worst, I don’t want to choose a domain name and after lots of effort on SEO have to change it later. if it is acceptable I prefer to keep my domain and register this business name.
    thanks,

ozcart
    • Total posts: 19

The trademark experts here will be able to give you more detailed advice but if you later want to trademark your name/logo, you might run into issues with a generic name – so might want to start from the outset with a business name that is really brandable and to create a strong offline and online presence.

The ranking value of keyword-based domain names is already diminishing for search engine marketing and is likely to diminish even more so over time so your total marketing for your business is what will count. If you create a name that is catchy, relevant and memorable to everyone who encounters your business – in person, in business cards, online and everywhere in between, it’s a bit easier to present an overall brand to your potential and existing customers.

Brooke

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Just from a consumer point of view, Led Sign Solution just doesn’t sound sexy or jump out at me.

Mahdi Danesh
    ozcart, post: 220453, member: 27511 wrote:
    The trademark experts here will be able to give you more detailed advice but if you later want to trademark your name/logo, you might run into issues with a generic name – so might want to start from the outset with a business name that is really brandable and to create a strong offline and online presence.

The ranking value of keyword-based domain names is already diminishing for search engine marketing and is likely to diminish even more so over time so your total marketing for your business is what will count. If you create a name that is catchy, relevant and memorable to everyone who encounters your business – in person, in business cards, online and everywhere in between, it’s a bit easier to present an overall brand to your potential and existing customers.

Brooke
    Thank you ozcart,
    I know that search engines are changing their ranking algorithms regarding the EMD names. But they are still giving a very good weight for keyword based domains. So it is a kind of trad-off between a brandable name and keyword-based name.
    what is your idea about the ranking value of keyword-based domains compare to branded name?

Mahdi Danesh
    bb1, post: 220459, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just from a consumer point of view, Led Sign Solution just doesn’t sound sexy or jump out at me.
    Thank you for your comment. I totally agree with you that this name doesn’t sound sexy. Because it is going to be an online store, I chose this name because of a little bit ranking credit of keywords for search engines (however it is not too much anymore).
    Personally I prefer to choose a brandable name. But, lots of things should be considered for a good business and website name. It should be relevant, has meaning, easy to remember and … what is your idea about the name of online store? Do you think a branded name that looks sexy or an iconic name is better that a business and domain name that has clear meaning? as a costumer point of view, what is your first impression when you find it on the google search results? looking for a sexy names or a name that you clearly understand what is it about?
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Mahdi Danesh, post: 220461, member: 63323 wrote:
    Thank you for your comment. I totally agree with you that this name doesn’t sound sexy. Because it is going to be an online store, I chose this name because of a little bit ranking credit of keywords for search engines (however it is not too much anymore).
    Personally I prefer to choose a brandable name. But, lots of things should be considered for a good business and website name. It should be relevant, has meaning, easy to remember and … what is your idea about the name of online store? Do you think a branded name that looks sexy or an iconic name is better that a business and domain name that has clear meaning? as a costumer point of view, what is your first impression when you find it on the google search results? looking for a sexy names or a name that you clearly understand what is it about?

Unfortunately I am not one to provide advise on sexy names, although I have 2 business names and everyone loves them, but they were a joint effort between myself and my children (yes a very good source) based on my 2 business’s and what we felt for the business. And often that is what it is, I think you need to love the name, and say yes that is me, not just a little SEO advantage (oops sorry SEO guys). But in my case I have a lot of people who have said we picked you because of the name, because if you think about it that is the first they see of you. And even if you rank number one on the search page, if number 2 looks more sexy I wonder what people will select (sorry again SEO guys)

I guess my comment (my personal thoughts) in regards to Led Sign Solution is that it doesn’t just roll off the tongue, and it still leaves me wondering what you are offering.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344

I tend to agree that a name that pops and is a little less descriptive might be better (and, could be easier to protect through trademark registration than a generic term).

Given the domain is having less impact on SEO these days, you could come up with a distinctive ‘brand’ for your business but still work in some description to the domain name if you’re concerned about people understanding what you are doing. Purely as an example the business name could be “BRAND” and your domain might be “brandLEDsolutions.com.au” or something like that?

James Rayers
    • Total posts: 268

If you’re going to invest in a domain name, you’d be better off contacting the owners of LEDSigns.com.au.

I can’t see any reason to buy a domain like LEDSignSolutions.com.au. There’s no value in the domain so you’re better off rethinking the business name. Just my opinion though.

Best option I find is to go to Thesaurus.com and type in a few words that relate to the business. Look for words starting with ‘S’ and ‘C’ to get nice alliteration. A couple of options:

LED Sign Shop
    LED Sign Centre

kangaroojosh
    • Total posts: 64
    Mahdi Danesh, post: 220460, member: 63323 wrote:
    Thank you ozcart,
    I know that search engines are changing their ranking algorithms regarding the EMD names. But they are still giving a very good weight for keyword based domains. So it is a kind of trad-off between a brandable name and keyword-based name.
    what is your idea about the ranking value of keyword-based domains compare to branded name?

Mahdi,
    Firstly, congrats on your venture going online! Saw the discussion interesting and just adding my two cents of points to this. Branding it as LED Sign Solutions seems conventionally the better option but branding either ways boils down to your choice. I would like to say few points w.r.t SEO side of it.

1. If you have had considerable efforts on seo / marketing on this domain thats fine. And if you consider to register a new domain with the “s”, copy this website across to the second website and do a 301 (HTTP status code for permanent redirect) redirect to the new website. This is a signal to search engines that the website is moved officially and transfer all the SEO credit to the new website. This way you just have to keep owning the first domain to retain the 301 redirect and continue further seo efforts on the new website.

2. The niche does not seem to be very competitive and you can easily achieve dominance with the right SEO direction very soon. with regards to the changes in Google algorithm to tackle EMD domains, they are still big and there cannot be a blind rule to take them down by algorithms as there are thousands of legit businesses which have keywords in the business names.

What algorithms would look at is is the content, relevance and citations match the Exact match keywords within these domains names for signs of manipulations. The advantage for emd domains are that you can safely build links to your brand name / domain name which happen to also be the keywords. Consider google webmaster tools as your friend in each step and keep a close eye on the signals there. Improve the content and activity on your website optimise for buy/sell keywords.

Good luck with your venture..
    cheers, Josh

Mahdi Danesh
    JacquiPryor, post: 220476, member: 20176 wrote:
    I tend to agree that a name that pops and is a little less descriptive might be better (and, could be easier to protect through trademark registration than a generic term).

Given the domain is having less impact on SEO these days, you could come up with a distinctive ‘brand’ for your business but still work in some description to the domain name if you’re concerned about people understanding what you are doing. Purely as an example the business name could be “BRAND” and your domain might be “brandLEDsolutions.com.au” or something like that?

Hi Jacqui,
    This is a very good idea to have a brand and a domain name like what you suggest. It is descriptive and still have some keywords regarding SEO in it.
    thanks,

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

I’m with Bert on this – the name is a bit pedestrian. I understand the thinking though. Also ‘solutions’ has no SEO value. Millions of businesses try too hard with domain names and brand names. Red Balloon isn’t called OnlineGiftExperience.com. Instead it’s memorable, still saying something about what they do but in a less obvious way.

The thing is, you want people to remember you. By going for SEO all the time, some companies make a rod for their own back. They are not memorable and it creates a reliance upon the SEO to constantly get new customers. Also, social media is a major channel and you want a good name on there.

It ‘may’ be that SEO is about to change anyway. New gTLDs are being released all the time and will help categorise your business. You could have a look down this list and find a domain ending. Then choose something more exciting as the domain part. https://www.name.com/new-gtld

ledballoon.lighting, perhaps?

Mahdi Danesh

Hmmm,
    It seems that everyone agree/suggest to change the name! and this is another problem :)
    If I were good at finding a name, I wouldn’t end up with this problem.
    Anybody have a name for a business involving digital LED sign and digital LED displays?

GuestMember

The content of your pages is the main SEO task. I just searched Google for ‘led signs’. Only 3 in 9 mentioned LED. Most were so pedestrian I wouldn’t remember them by later today, or I’d confuse them as they’re so similar.

This is important. When I was looking for domestic LED lights of very specific colour temperature, that would run off some old halogen transformers without flicker, etc., I often couldn’t remember where I’d seen the various options. I ended up just going to Bunnings and special ordering.

Although I didn’t eventually shop there, I remembered Beacon immediately when I moved to Australia because it’s a rich name and creates visual imagery.

Mahdi Danesh

Thank you Paul,
    After reading these comments I think I’d better to change my domain name. I have not registered a business name so it shouldn’t be a big deal to register a new domain and redirect the old one to new domain. Probably Jacqui suggestion about a “Brand” or “Brand LED Sign” for business name and BrandLEDSign.com.au to make it a bit descriptive is a good idea.

Well flying-solo guys, you made my problem bigger :). Now I have to find a new name and domain as well. As I am not a native English speaker and not familiar enough with Australian business culture make it very difficult for me to figure out a good name. Please help me to find a good business name.

GuestMember

Can I make a suggestion here. Let’s try to list ideas without criticism. I think that typically spoils creativity. See the ideas as stepping stones; triggers for the final name. Sometimes people fear offering ideas because they don’t want to look silly. They need to feel safe doing it.:) Here are some ideas to get started:

Lighthouse
    Space: Zodiac, Pulsar, Nebula
    Shame Beacon has been taken
    Fire, sparks
    TheLedWorks

A cheeky name that ends ‘led’, you know, like the word ‘cuddled’ but where the first part is also a word. The logo could then have different colours for both parts.

A focus on what signs do: grab attention…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.