Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Business Can Be Tough

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sonya.Robson
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi I’m Sonya,

I’ve been in business for myself for over 5 years now and I’m starting to think it’s time to move on.
    I have a real estate business that does mostly Property Management with a little bit of sales. The management side of things is really tough. A few terrible tenants are now taking to social media to try and get revenge when they don’t get their bond back, or get listed on the bad tenancy databases. Has anyone else had this problem… I’ve had to close my business FB page because of the trolls that have found it. I’m exhausted, deflated and often feeling lonely in business. Sorry sad story over.

I’m hoping to meet some like minded people, be inspired and seek advice, or simply have and be a knowledgeable sounding board to share with.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Sonya,

Firstly welcome to the forum. :)

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience and I think people posting nasty things on your Facebook page shows their character faults not yours. I think tenants forget that the property they’re in, is someones hard earned nest egg.

It’s so easy for them to type nasty things when people are not face to face. I think it’s a good thing to shut down your Facebook page for a while, it is not worth your stress.

Maybe you should consider shifting your focus more to sales to give you back your zing.

We all go through bad times in business, I know I’ve had days when I question my decision from years ago, I have a good cry and then somehow dust myself off and keep plodding away and then I have a good day and I remember why I made the decision :)

I hope another RE agent responds to you, but from a Landlords perspective, we truly appreciate people like you and your efforts to protect our prized possession.

Cheers
    Mischelle :)

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Sonya, where is the money, and most enjoyment in this business for you?

If its sales, then perhaps ditch the PM stuff and focus on that?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi and welcome to the Forums [USER=104840]@Sonya.Robson[/USER] – thanks for sharing your story and sorry it has been so long to formally welcome you.

Your story does beggar the question of how to handle a business like yours in a Social Media world.

You know, sometimes our hardest critics make us work harder and as a result we get better.

I appreciate too, that some people are just awful and that some criticisms are more than undeserved.

I agree that it is a good thing to close your page for a while.

At the same time, social media provides a huge opportunity so it is worth think about how to best deploy it.

This may be way to left of field but perhaps you could even turn the criticisms into a positive – after all, it is not implausible that if a disgruntled tenant is a loser, the landlord you represent is a winner.

And landlords feeling like they are being taken care of is a marketing opportunity.

Anyway, I hope you have a few good days this week and next!

Cheers

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Great words [USER=78928]@Paul – FS Concierge[/USER] this is my sentiment as a Landlord

Craig Moschner CA
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Sonya,

A few of my real estate agent clients have described your nightmare situation and you should not give up but stand your ground as this is your job. I think you will find that after some time passes the tenant will ‘cool off’ and be more reasonable. You could re-activate your facebook page at this point. I also understand your frustration and feelings of lonelness as a business owner and would suggest you speak with your business advisor (this may also be your accountant?)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Yes business is tough, never a more accurate statement was made. But a just as true statement is life is tough, many would say working for an employer is tougher, many on here say they started a business because they couldn’t work as an employee..

Sure we have all suffered negative things in our business, I copped a bad review a few years ago, I know it was fake (don’t even do the work they said I did badly). I lost a Body corporate a month ago because the committee changed chairperson, and they gave the job to a brother. Did I shut up shop,

Do you throw in the towel with every negative event, may as well just stay in bed each day and do nothing.

Ignore the negative, and focus on the positive. Don’t close your FB page because of a bit of criticism, i would stand up and applaud you for leaving it, do you really believe that every website that has 100% positive reviews, have 100% happy customers, they just hide the fact that they have unhappy customers. I would rather employ a business that will publish there negative reviews then those that hide them.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Re: The Facebook Page
    You should only have a Facebook Page if you’re using it as a positive force for your business – capturing lots of positive reviews and sharing all of the good work you do. If you do this the occasional bad review will be in its true context. If you don’t do much with it, then yes even a couple of bad reviews can make you look bad.

Good luck!
    Dave

Sonya.Robson
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies, there is some really good advice from you all. I will give some thought to opening my page again but maybe when I have time to give it some energy. I agree there is nothing wrong with a bad review however, this got way out of hand, people that worked for me had their personal lives splashed all over this discussion page. I had people calling me warning me to be prepared to protect myself and my family… that’s a bit crazy.

But yes it has all died down and no one was harmed, the best thing I could have done was let it die a natural death.

Sorry I don’t get on here much as we are so busy. It’s really lovely having some feedback from people that understand and have possibly experienced this before. I really only have 1 fellow business person that I am able use as a sounding board. It’s nice to get some other perspectives as well.

Thank you for the welcomes.

valentlau
    Participant
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

RE is tough, but it’s also easy to stand out, because everyone is trying to do the same thing – Fake pose by their latest auction showing off their Ferrari in the background. You probably don’t want/need FB/discussion groups, just a page that shows your professionalism and trust.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.