Home – New Forums Other discussions Business Coaching – Government Free service vs Paid Professional

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Evertrue
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

What experiences have you had with business coaching/mentorship? The government provides free consultants and advisors through several facilities, but are they any good?
    There are thousands of professional business coaches, but are they worth what they charge? And some can really charge a lot!
    If you can’t afford a big name coach, but want more than the free government ones, what is there for you?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I tried the travelling government one once. He tried but could not wrap his head around how my business works and the session ended up being pretty useless. He told me about scheme with banks to help small businesses get off the ground but that was also a bust as the bank person could also not get that a farming business may only have income twice a year when crops are sold, rather than a weekly income.
    It would probably be worth having a chat with these gov small business adviser for most businesses though as they are free. As long as you have a ‘normal’ business idea they would probably be able to help a lot more.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Personally, i am not sure if you are offering this service or asking if they are worthwhile??? Either way, i feel that the advice you receive in any form (be it paid or not) will be entirely on the motivation, experience and so forth of the person giving it..

Same can be said in this forum… sometimes you get someone knowledgeable about a specific subject matter that just happens to skim across a post and offer some nuggets for free as they have a genuine interest… whilst other times you may get a poster upping something they are studying and not get any input at all… The info provided may be unpaid, but it may also be relevant.

As i am not really grasping the post, but think i may a little, i think what i am trying to say is that whether its free government advice or paid coaching it will be dependant on the knowledge base of said person offering the advice. Free advice is great from the right person as is paid advice.

What is more important is that the person offering it is a resource, level headed and of a mindset that can quickly grasp a business model and how it works to identify its strengths and weaknesses.. Trust me, having working alongside many a small business in various roles, understanding the nuts and bolts of a random business that you have had no previous engagement with is complex and you can either do it or not…

As for what resources are out there, will depend on the person seeking the advice.. If one is a extrovert, they may have a social network they can pull through with.. and yet if they are an introvert, maybe they reach out online through tools like flying solo or other to get through it… If they need a hand that is…

Although your question appears ‘simple’, i feel there is a much deeper exploration required from both the business owners side (expectations, understandings etc etc) as well as a standardised bench mark on the person/s giving said advice (free or not)..

Ok, now i am scratching my head more..

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    LucasArthur, post: 265540, member: 34537 wrote:
    Personally, i am not sure if you are offering this service or asking if they are worthwhile??? ..

Interesting question there Lucas, I tried to get that answer, but when I look at OP’s website, I really have no idea what service they are offering. So I understand your dilemma.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Any education or information is valuable! Peak Industry Bodies, provide information, group meetings etc. webinars

Cheers
    Corey

Jasonstallworth
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Paid professionals are the best to work with. If you have money for that, of course.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Any education or information is valuable! Peak Industry Bodies, provide information, group meetings etc. webinars

Not sure I agree with that. We just had an election where all bets where on one party getting elected because of the information available – look how that turned out.

For me personally, I think the coaching/mentoring space is so overloaded with regurgitated “Be a leader, not a boss” type claptrap that in many ways the value of such a role has been diminished. Is too bad for the truly good coaches and mentors out there.

“I am starting a business and I have no clue how to do it so I need a:coach/mentor……on the cheap” – seems to be one of today’s requirements.

Before determining the value of a govt employee compared to a private employee to assess the quality of the service, the more important question for me would be why I want one in the first place, then deciding on the bet avenue to take.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Jasonstallworth, post: 265644, member: 111105 wrote:
    Paid professionals are the best to work with. If you have money for that, of course.

Why? there are some excellent other ones as well

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Just thought I’d get my 2 bob’s in, even though this is an oldish post, to say I just don’t get the point of mentors. To my mind, the only time someone would most likely need guidance is when they find themselves in a bind, and can’t work out the best way to get themselves out of it. In those kinds of situations, I doubt whether a pep talk is going to be much good.

I’ve never had any experience with mentors, so I have absolutely no idea whether they’re any good or not, but I truly hope I never have the need to get one.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

A good mentor is a great asset – they see things that you don’t because you are too set in your mind or close to the issues. They are not only for times when you are in trouble.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I was actually having a chat with a friend yesterday about this topic. She was concerned that a colleague of hers seemed to be so much more on the ball as far as her career went, because she (the colleague) has mentors, and regularly has meetings with them, sometimes two or three times a week, while my friend has no formal mentors she regularly catches up with, and was feeling a bit inadequate as a result. The colleague’s mentors are people in senior roles she’s worked with previously.

The further our conversation went, the more we realised that my friend actually does have mentors, but she calls them friends, because that’s what they are. She is in regular contact with former bosses and colleagues, and they do talk about career and progress, so even though she may not regard them as mentors in a formal sense, there’s definitely a network she can rely on to bounce ideas off and get advice from.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    thecoachinguniverse
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hey there, I’m actually a certified Life & Career Coach and I think that the key is to find someone you connect with, and has the experience in the particular field that you need. So regardless of whether they’re government or private I’d always ask for a free chat first to get a feel for their background, past clients etc. Hope that helps, let me know if you want to chat further or if you’d like a coaching call I’m open to that too!

Cheers
    Amy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.