Home – New Forums Logistics Business Import Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Lewis
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello Flyingsolo Community,

I am 17 hoping to finish school in about 5 months and then going onto university graduating in a bachlor or business. I am wanting to start an import company however i’m unsure as to what to import and from where.

I am fully aware that you may be reading this thinking “well why would anyone share thier good ideas on an open internet forum”. If you could, just put what you would import and from where, if you wish as a private message.

For instance my uncle imports for florists ie. Wrapping, padding, packaging etc. (and i wont go go into any more detail than that). But something like that, that just gives me ideas about different things that I could import on a regular basis to then sell off to customers and as a business that could succesfully grow if handled correctly.

Much appreciated,

Matt Lewis

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Matt,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for introducing yourself.

Good on you for being so enthusiastic and entrepreneurial too. I hope you find lots of ideas around here, and lots of info to supplement your more formal education too.

Great to meet you.

Jayne

Spider
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

Hi Matt,

If you want to get into the import business then why waste 4 years doing a uni degree?
    Go work for some small, but sucessful import businesses and learn how to do it.

You will learn a lot more and at a much faster pace in real life experience than at uni, in my opinion.

As far as products go, find a gap in the market and fill it.
    Deal with products you are passionate about, or products with reasonable margins.
    Personally, I like dealing with difficult to handle products because others don’t want to do it because it’s too hard, more money for me…
    You’ll need to work with a great purchasing agent, this will be your greatest asset.
    Pay attention to detail.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Why don’t you think of something to export instead of import?

Everyone and his duck wants to import. The amount of crap already arriving on monstrous freighters is extraordinary.

If you can establish a successful exporting business when the Aussie dollar comes back down to earth you’ll be laughing.

Sophie Andrews
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

As mentioned above – pick something you are passionate about or an industry you are interested in. Being successful in an importing company, or any other company, isn’t just about picking the right product but also about a lot of hard work. You can pick a fantastic product that has huge profit and a very large target market but if you don’t know how to market it or set your prices, or run a company, then you are not going to get very far.

I would be suggesting you do some sort of small business course first to give you a better understanding of what is involved. There are also various import and export courses available – I think the govt often runs free ones – that might help you too.

If you wanted to pick something that is new to the market you could also have a look at who is exhibiting at some of the big gift fairs – years ago I used to have to attend the February gift fair in the UK – it is HUGE and full of amazing new products which would not have reached our market yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.