Home – New Forums Tech talk Business Laptops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dan_1
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi Guy’s,

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a New Laptop for our Business and would love some guidance if possible.

I have listed my base requirements

1) Portable with reasonable battery life (4 – 6 hrs heavy use)
    2) Minimum 15′ screen but no larger than 17′ ( For Portability)
    3)Ability to run various programs at once including photo shop, adobe, power point,excel etc ( Current Computer is very slow at multi tasking)
    4)Ability to store and edit go pro video footage ( As above current computer is very slow)
    4) require output to monitor preverably with a compaitable docking station.
    5) Operating system – Windows 8 ( only because it is the latest and greatest)
    6)SD Card Input
    7) DVD Burner/Reader
    8)Wifi Connectivity / teather with Iphone.
    9)HDMI/USB/RS232 Ports

Any help or direction you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Hi Dan,

I’m no IT guru at all but I love using my MacBook Pro’s. Best to head into a store and try one out (probably not during school holidays thought 😮 ) they will be able to guide you as to if it will work for you.

Cheers

Cat :)

uwannawat
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Have a look at the Dell Latitudes. They are not cheap but are a business grade computer with all of the business accessories such as port replicators/docking stations. There is a difference between consumer & business grade. If you plan to use the machine as a portable device then get it with an SSD drive. It will be super quick & less susceptible to disk failure. We use them & so do all of our clients.

Cheers
    Graham

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I second the tip on getting an SSD if you’re “on the road” a lot.

They run cooler, faster, and longer than conventional HD’s and are less likely to stuff up with constant movement.

I originally went to Mac’s (MacAir) for no other reason than the SSD. At the time the equivalent spec’s (SSD) in something like a Dell were over 3K, the MacAir was 1.1K.

The new MacAir will give you 12hrs computing “off grid”. For heavy computing the MacBook Pro Retina is pretty handy too.

For me working remotely, I don’t want be bogged down with peripherals like a mouse or charger and I haven’t been able to find a track pad better than the Mac’s.

Windows rules in the under 1K market … but I actually think if your after business grade the Mac range is price competitive.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I concur with the Dell Latitude Range. You can usually get it cheaper if you go an ISR rather than getting it on the site
    (and if you’ve got a relationship with an ISR you can actually spec what you want.)

You’d probably want to consider the E6540 (15.6′ screen)
    add a 9cell (or 6-cell, largest you can get) battery for extended life
    Others have suggested SSD – while this is great in terms of weight and speed (which is a concern) to get an SSD with high capacity for video editing could sting you quite a bit.

Make sure it’s got at LEAST 8GB of memory.
    Core i7 processrs are probably the best way to go also – top end of the spectrum

the E6530s come with DVD, Wifi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB all by default. the 6530 SEEMS to have HDMI output.

Getting RS232 on a laptop (any laptop!) is actually going to be really difficult. i only just saw that requirement now
    some HP laptops have RS232 apparently.

you can get docking stations (Eport Replicator or Eport Plus) for the E6xxx series – this might meed your need for RS232 (I’ve got an EP+ which has rs232, hdmi, 2xdvi, 1xvga, 1xparallel plus some usb)

if you’d like to talk further, let me know – i can ask my ISR for a specific quote
    you can get the 6530 with either Win7 or Win8..

Dan_1
    Up

Great info,
    Thanks Guy’s
    I have to admit I am a bit bias towards Dell even with my limited knowledge of computer internals.
    As an employee for a large company that’s what we were always provided and never really had any issues and when I did there support always seemed good.
    In terms of other brands and features who/what should I steer clear of?

Thanks

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk – now Free

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

We run MacBook pros with parallels to run windows xp but you can run any version you like. USB to serial adapter from B&b electronics is the best you can get and works a treat with all our legacy equipment.

As a field service tool they have been great, much better than the dells I have used. Best part is if something happens courtesy of dual time capsule backups I can pick up a replacement for $1300 and be up and running within a couple of hours.

TehCamel
    Up
    Dan_1, post: 181704 wrote:
    Great info,
    Thanks Guy’s
    I have to admit I am a bit bias towards Dell even with my limited knowledge of computer internals.
    As an employee for a large company that’s what we were always provided and never really had any issues and when I did there support always seemed good.
    In terms of other brands and features who/what should I steer clear of?

Thanks

Dan

one thing to consider is the ‘crapware’ that comes on a new laptop. some have more than others. Personally, I’d stay with HP (Probooks, not consumer notebooks) or Dell Latitude (at a stretch, inspiron, but not vostro)

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Go the Samsung Series 9 UltraBook, it’s an amazingly well put together UltraBook.

Maclean

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    TehCamel, post: 181803 wrote:
    one thing to consider is the ‘crapware’ that comes on a new laptop. some have more than others.

This is a good point. I purchased a highly-spec’d Asus machine a little while ago, and it had so much rubbish pre-installed that it nearly doubled in speed after I wiped everything and reinstalled Windows.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 181830 wrote:
    This is a good point. I purchased a highly-spec’d Asus machine a little while ago, and it had so much rubbish pre-installed that it nearly doubled in speed after I wiped everything and reinstalled Windows.

The good thing is that Windows 8 has an option to quickly format the install with no manufacturer software installed. Only takes 10 minutes or so.

Maclean

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Another vote for Dells. Have been using Dell Laptops for over 5 years now.

Latest one is Latitude – built tough for business. Also have huge SSD as primary and it flies into Windows 8.1 literally in seconds. Add a port replicator and you can instantly dock into a full screen and all your plugs / USBs connect with one click.

They aren’t the prettiest, but get the job done and provide the best of both worlds between laptop / desktop in one.

Dan_1
    Up

Thanks for all the Great info guys,
    One thing i didn’t ask earlier on is what is an ISR? Is this simply an authorized distributor?
    I do apologies if this seems like a silly question.

Thanks

Dan.

TehCamel
    Up

my bad – ISR is Inside Sales Rep

basically – he’s a guy I deal with any time I need to ring and get quotes on things or order things
    It’s better than just getting joe random when I make an online order. he’ll also call and follow me up on quotes I’ve requested (which in turn makes me push my customer) and when he’s so inclined, does discounts in the region of 35%.

TehCamel
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 181830 wrote:

pc-decrapifier :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.