Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business name and start-up ideas??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Emity Lane
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi I’m Sarah.
    I’ve posted here before about my business. I make unique dresses from recycled clothing for parties, formals, evening wear and would like to eventually expand into weddings. I had started it as Enaj Haras which was not well received. Then I tried Ms. Chievious which I posted here and got many constructive comments which have made me step back again and completely reassess where I am going.

I am stuck for a name now. Someone suggested I do a feasibility study and I have started undertaking that but I still have a very strong belief in what I am doing to help the environment and there seems to be a big online movement towards eco-friendly products and clothing. None of the clothing that is “eco-friendly” has been constructed the same as the majority are made from waste fabric from clothing manufacturers and not actually recycled materials that have already had a previous life with a previous owner. My dresses are also all unique and very original in their styling as nothing currently on the market appeals to my tastes (especially locally here in Bundaberg). I have received a lot of interest and feedback from people that love my idea and think my dresses are really original and beautiful. I like to celebrate a woman’s femininity and also strive for a more comfortable fit then traditional dresses as all are adjustable between 2 sizes allowing room for weight fluctuations allowing you to keep wearing your dress for years to come and be comfortable in it for the entire day.

You can see one collection of my designs here: http://www.facebook.com/ms.chieviousfashion

I need a good name and I am stuck-I have pages and pages of ideas but nothing that feels right. Also I am wanting ideas on how to involve people in my community in the business and get my name out there. I am very passionate about this and I want to open up a store here when my son goes to school in 4 years. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

HI Ms,

Firstly, if you ask 100 people for their opinion, you will never (ok very very rarely) get an agreement from all.

The name has to feel right to you, so whilst it is great to get ideas and opinions from other people, the brand that will win you over is likely to come from within.

You don’t necessarily need to go with a name with is eco friendly, just because your clothes are. Of course, your messaging etc. will talk up this point anyway, so don’t limit yourself to this area. Think of the boys that created the UNIT surf/skate brand – what in the hell did UNIT have to do with that industry before they came up with it!!!

Also, a clothing brand can take many different journeys, so don’t limit your options. Opening a store may well be a great idea, but what if you were able to get your designs/brand stocked in several different stores instead?

I am just playing devils advocate, but sometimes, you have to be a little head strong and ignore what other people say, because if you go ahead with something that doesn’t feel 100% right, you are more likely to fail than something that carries your passion and ambition, but a few forumites disagree with :)

Here are a few that have just sprung to mind whilst writing:

Femme Revive
    Sheco (or perhaps Chico – a cross between Eco and Chic)
    ReCouture
    StrawberryBlonde
    Vintage by Sarah Jane

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Approach the likes primary schools. They enjoy hearing about recycling in the real world as they teach it as part of their social studies. This is a good way to get local press attention also, plus all of these little impressionable kids going home and telling mum. World environment day is a good day to shoot for if practical

Good luck. Agree with agent mail re names

What about Sarah whatever your last name initial is? If available?

The Green Dress.. …

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Ms. Chievious is a cool name how about adding to it, like

Ms. Chievious design or
    Ms. Chievious fashion

you could include pre-loved to imply the recycled component

Ms. Chievious pre-loved designs.
    Ms. Chievious pre-loved fashions.

I can also imagine the green triangle with the arrows as part of your logo. mmm maybe not.

Your desings are really good.
    To get them out there, I dont know how practical this is but contact some singers or performers and ask them if they would like to wear some outfits during performances – no charge. Ask in return they mention it on their website and link back to yours. Their fans may end up your customers. You’ll get clicks to your site.
    Just a thought.

Steve

Emity Lane
    Up

Thank you everybody for all your suggestions so far. I like the name ideas-it’s great to have some fresh input from new people. :) I like the idea of consignment selling and trying to be stocked in many stores instead of just my own-I hadn’t really thought about that much. I also love the idea of dressing singers/performers for their gigs and could also expand that into dressing models for competitions as there are quite a few of them annually here. Thank you all so far and I’m looking to forward to hearing some more fresh ideas! :)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122307 wrote:
    I can also imagine the green triangle with the arrows as part of your logo. mmm maybe not.

Steve

I can totally see that, have the green triangle as the skirt part of a dress!!!!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 122310 wrote:
    I can totally see that, have the green triangle as the skirt part of a dress!!!!

OMG – we should trade mark that. :)

Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 122310 wrote:

Or maybe not!:p

I think it is important to stay fashionable and not get bogged down in the whole ‘my materials are recycled’ aspect of your business. You have to remember: if environmental sustainability was the motivation behind consuming something – wouldn’t it be more environmentally sustainable not to consume in the first place?

It will be your designs that will sell the dresses, while the reused materials will have people talking about them…

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

OMG – we should trade mark that.

I love that you guys are all starting to think “trademark” all the time… seems my master plan of brainwashing everyone is coming together after all :D

Ally M
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Sarah,
    I’ve seen a few of your posts on the forums and I think its great that you are asking questions and accepting feedback in order to better your business idea.

It can take a while to find a business name you like – I spent several weeks finding one for my business. Then checking that the domain was available and trademarks…

I just wanted to say I really like AgentMail’s suggestion of “sheco” or “chico” !
    I’m not a big fan of the Ms. Chevious name so I’m glad you’re looking to change it.

All the best,
    Ally

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    Ally M, post: 122328 wrote:
    Hi Sarah,
    I’ve seen a few of your posts on the forums and I think its great that you are asking questions and accepting feedback in order to better your business idea.

It can take a while to find a business name you like – I spent several weeks finding one for my business. Then checking that the domain was available and trademarks…

I just wanted to say I really like AgentMail’s suggestion of “sheco” or “chico” !
    I’m not a big fan of the Ms. Chevious name so I’m glad you’re looking to change it.

All the best,
    Ally

I took 4-6 months and even then reverted back to something “boring” I spent ages trying to cnjur up something interesting, original, and meaninful (That wasn’t already taken).

Emity Lane
    Up

Thanx everyone for the great feedback.

First of all my aim is to sell my original designs as that’s the reason I went into this and the upcycled clothing thing is because I couldn’t afford new materials most of my life and so that is how I’ve learnt to make clothing. Plus I want to help the Earth with my dresses and not contribute to the waste already being produced by other clothing companies. Some people have a stigma attached to second hand clothing so I do not want that to be the big stand out it is more the design aspect as I’m trying to bring something different to the market.

I do not like the idea of the green triangle in the skirt-its way too daggy for the modern, edgy, fresh feel I am going for and I’m sure it would be tricky to get permissions to use the green triangle anyway, but I’m so glad you are all putting forward suggestions (some of my own have been really bad too lol).

I love the name Sheco! I think that is brilliant and definitely the kind of thing I am aiming for with it. Now to research whether I can use it….

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Gah – I just did a massive post and my computer crashed!

Anyway, the gist was to check out http://www.buildalittlebiz.com/products-services/ which has a couple of great workbooks I think you would get a lot out of – build a brand being the main one. Remember your name is just part of the whole branding package. A big part, but still, just a part.

Brainstorm ideas about how you want people to feel when they read/hear about your product, have a look through quotation websites (I got mine from the quote “Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after.”)

As for getting your name out there (once you have a name) network, network, network. Check out what other similar businesses are doing on Facebook,. Twitter and Pinterest. Get advice and mentoring from people who have BTDT.

Good luck

Nicole

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up
    Ms. Chievious, post: 122266 wrote:
    Hi I’m Sarah.
    I’ve posted here before about my business. I make unique dresses from recycled clothing for parties, formals, evening wear and would like to eventually expand into weddings. I had started it as Enaj Haras which was not well received. Then I tried Ms. Chievious which I posted here and got many constructive comments which have made me step back again and completely reassess where I am going.

I am stuck for a name now. Someone suggested I do a feasibility study and I have started undertaking that but I still have a very strong belief in what I am doing to help the environment and there seems to be a big online movement towards eco-friendly products and clothing. None of the clothing that is “eco-friendly” has been constructed the same as the majority are made from waste fabric from clothing manufacturers and not actually recycled materials that have already had a previous life with a previous owner. My dresses are also all unique and very original in their styling as nothing currently on the market appeals to my tastes (especially locally here in Bundaberg). I have received a lot of interest and feedback from people that love my idea and think my dresses are really original and beautiful. I like to celebrate a woman’s femininity and also strive for a more comfortable fit then traditional dresses as all are adjustable between 2 sizes allowing room for weight fluctuations allowing you to keep wearing your dress for years to come and be comfortable in it for the entire day.

You can see one collection of my designs here: http://www.facebook.com/ms.chieviousfashion

I need a good name and I am stuck-I have pages and pages of ideas but nothing that feels right. Also I am wanting ideas on how to involve people in my community in the business and get my name out there. I am very passionate about this and I want to open up a store here when my son goes to school in 4 years. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Your business name is not as important as you think. “Target” definitely not a good name but branded very very well! I like one word business names or Acronyms. (BWS-Beer Wine & Spirits). The key to a successful business name is in the marketing and branding. So lock in a name quickly and never change it again as it will cost $$$ down the track. Select your corporate colors for branding. Create your slogan. Things will fall into place.. Start promoting small steps at first unless you are cashed up.

http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hi Sarah,

Have you considered hiring someone to help you come up with a name? There are experts in this field! :)

Marnie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.