Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business Name/Domain Name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Freckles
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    As I already mentioned on my previous post, I’m looking to start an online business. I have registered the Business Name and I’m now looking to register a .com.au domain. I’ve been informed that the domain name has to be similar to the Business Name. My question is, if down the track I’m planning to register different domain names under the same business name as proprietor, would I need to register each of them with the Department of Fair Trading even when my idea is that the Business Name (that I have already register) will own all of them and they will all use its ABN number? What will be the purpose of such registration then?

I would appreciate some clarity on this.

Thank you!

Guy. E
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Freckles,

To put it simple, you will be able to register the domain name if:

-it’s an exact match, acronym or abbreviation of the registrant’s company or trading name, organization or association name or trademark, or;
    -otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Setting up your ABN with the required trading name is probably the easiest route.

Thanks,
    Guy

Freckles
    Up

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the quick response, however, I’m still a bit confused.

The scenario that I was trying to present is the following:

Business Name A –> .com.au Domain Name A
    –> .com.au Domain Name B
    –> .com.au Domain Name C

Would this be possible? If so, what would be the process in relation to each domain name (registration with Fair Trading, registration as Trade Mark or none of these options)

Cheers!

Guy. E
    Up

Sure, there shouldn’t be any dramas with doing that. However, is there a big difference between the domain names/business names? If so, the only way of getting around that would be registering additional trading names against the ABN.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
    Guy

Freckles
    Up

Hi Guy,

The domain names will be completely different than the business name I need to find out how to link them all to the Business name I’ve already registered and its ABN.

Thanks again.

Guy. E
    Up

Adding trading names to your ABN is as simple as ringing the ATO :-)

However, you shouldn’t have too much of a drama in registering the ABN – unless you’re doing something illegal of course ;-)

Thanks,
    Guy

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up
    Freckles, post: 33867 wrote:
    Hi Guy,

The domain names will be completely different than the business name I need to find out how to link them all to the Business name I’ve already registered and its ABN.

Thanks again.

If you have an ABN, you probably have got the online starter kit as well in the mail? you can add “trading as” names when you login to your ABN account online. If you want to secure your domain name from any future conflicts you can register a trade mark for that name.

Its simple as “Play Station” needs to be trade marked even though “Sony” is a well known business, or else someone else can trade mark it first and take legal action.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.