Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business Name – Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Am in the process of having a logo and website designed but I first need to register a business name!

I need suggestions…

The business is selling collectible postage stamps online. The market is worldwide and predominantly 40+ years old. I want the name to be clean, simple and relative to what the business does (i.e. sell postage stamps).

Please throw me your ideas – no suggestion is too silly!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Paul B., post: 121717 wrote:
    Hi all,

Am in the process of having a logo and website designed but I first need to register a business name!

I need suggestions…

The business is selling collectible postage stamps online. The market is worldwide and predominantly 40+ years old. I want the name to be clean, simple and relative to what the business does (i.e. sell postage stamps).

Please throw me your ideas – no suggestion is too silly!How are you having a logo and website designed with no name?

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 121719 wrote:
    How are you having a logo and website designed with no name?

I too would like to know the answer to this question…

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

The biggest challenge with coming up with a name is finding a suitable url as a .com.au and/or .com that’s still available.
    Recently I found http://www.pickydomains.com and I am using them to come up with a name for a project I am involved in.
    The service costs $50 or $125 depending on what package you want, and it enables people to submit name/domain ideas to you. All the names have already been checked for availability, and if you don’t find anything suitable they will refund your payment.
    Good luck!

Gavin

Note: Just to clarify, I have no connection to PickyDomains other than that I am a current customer.

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi paul,

You can register business name here

Sorry No idea about Logo.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

“collectible postage stamps online” just a combination of those could work. I wouldn’t be too focused on a logo, branding etc, but more on your domain name.

Have something relevant to what you do, an ambiguous name isn’t going to help much when it comes to people searching online to find collectible stamps.

Unfortunately stampsonline.com is already taken by USPS!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Paul,

There are a few members in the ‘name game’ around here, including The Golden Goose – who I know offers consultation to help come up with the perfect names for business/products etc.

I’d like to chime in and remind you that once you do have a name in mind – make sure you won’t be stepping on anyone’s toes from a trademark perspective. If someone has the name registered as a trademark (or similar name), for the same sort of business activities you may infringe their rights by pushing forwards to promote the name… so, always good to do a trademark search on any new name.

Paul B.
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 121719 wrote:
    How are you having a logo and website designed with no name?

I am currently ‘in the process’ – more specifically negotiating pricing and service.

Kennethti, post: 121720 wrote:
    I too would like to know the answer to this question…

as above.

AdvertisingRewards.com.au, post: 121722 wrote:
    The biggest challenge with coming up with a name is finding a suitable url as a .com.au and/or .com that’s still available.
    Recently I found http://www.pickydomains.com and I am using them to come up with a name for a project I am involved in.
    The service costs $50 or $125 depending on what package you want, and it enables people to submit name/domain ideas to you. All the names have already been checked for availability, and if you don’t find anything suitable they will refund your payment.
    Good luck!

Gavin

Note: Just to clarify, I have no connection to PickyDomains other than that I am a current customer.

Gavin that sounds excellent. I thought I would try my luck here first though. I will let you know how it goes if I decide to go down that path.

mexham, post: 121727 wrote:
    “collectible postage stamps online” just a combination of those could work. I wouldn’t be too focused on a logo, branding etc, but more on your domain name.

Have something relevant to what you do, an ambiguous name isn’t going to help much when it comes to people searching online to find collectible stamps.

Unfortunately stampsonline.com is already taken by USPS!

haha yes I have sussed out many domain that relate specifically to my business and naturally most of them are taken – not only do I have to contend with other postage stamp dealers but rubber stamp companies too

Paul B.
    Up

Just a note – I was hoping to conduct a general brainstorming session without getting too bogged down in the technicalities of naming a business!

Hopefully I read something that triggers my (albeit rather small) creative chord.

Paul B.
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 121728 wrote:
    Hi Paul,

There are a few members in the ‘name game’ around here, including The Golden Goose – who I know offers consultation to help come up with the perfect names for business/products etc.

I’d like to chime in and remind you that once you do have a name in mind – make sure you won’t be stepping on anyone’s toes from a trademark perspective. If someone has the name registered as a trademark (or similar name), for the same sort of business activities you may infringe their rights by pushing forwards to promote the name… so, always good to do a trademark search on any new name.

Hi Jacqui,

Thank you for that referral, I will get in contact with them.

Regarding trademark: where would you suggest I access a comprehensive search to avoid this?

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

A huge tip when choosing domain names is to make sure you test it out on a browser only basis.

There have been some dodgy stories of people searching for domain names using a domain buying website and only to find out that the domain buying website “bought” the domain between the time they searched and then decided to buy and had it resold to them at a higher price. The best way to test it is to type the domain name into the browser address bar:
    “http:www.yourdomain.com” and if you get a blank error page than it is usually available. If you get a random page full of stuff, random ads or random landing page, it’s probably already bought by someone that wants to resell it or removed their site (or maybe building a new one).

Make sure your domain is easy to spell, that is key. You don’t want a great name people can’t remember the spelling of. It will stop a lot of customers from finding you.

Also you can try buying domains from people already which will be great for SEO if they already have a pagerank and have been “aged” already.

You can try services such as flippa.com (it’s like an auction site for old websites). They have some really great domain names being released.

Best of luck! This is usually the most frustrating part of starting a business (minus forms) since most domain names are taken these days.

Thanks for reading,

Wendy Huang – Co-founder of SavvySME – A new social platform for small businesses

Paul B.
    Up
    SavvySME, post: 121745 wrote:
    There have been some dodgy stories of people searching for domain names using a domain buying website and only to find out that the domain buying website “bought” the domain between the time they searched and then decided to buy and had it resold to them at a higher price.

That is terrible but doesnt surprise me. People will do anything for an easy dollar (even sell stamps).

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    Paul B., post: 121747 wrote:
    That is terrible but doesnt surprise me. People will do anything for an easy dollar (even sell stamps).

Hahahaha love it :)

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    Paul B., post: 121733 wrote:
    Regarding trademark: where would you suggest I access a comprehensive search to avoid this?

Maybe click on the link in Jacqui’s sig. The one that says “TRADEMARK SEARCH” …

BTW I like using http://www.domize.com for quick domain name searches.

Cheers,
    Victor

Paul B.
    Up
    victorng, post: 121750 wrote:
    Maybe click on the link in Jacqui’s sig. The one that says “TRADEMARK SEARCH” …

BTW I like using http://www.domize.com for quick domain name searches.

Cheers,
    Victor

😮 Thanks for the heads up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.