Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Business name help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Walruzz
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

My current business name is Chemical Lobotomy i would like to change to a different name to suit more commercial and family friendly clients. i think i should drop the word Chemical do you think i should also drop the word Lobotomy?
    (My business is running lights/lasers/projections for events & venues)
    Thankyou! all opinions valued!

valentlau
    Participant
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Chemical Lobotomy doesn’t really tell me what the business does. Maybe a logo would help. But saying ‘running lights/lasers/projections for events & venues’, I don’t think your average family is your client.

I do event photography for mid-large corporates, and imagining my clients I don’t think they would be put off by a creative name, it’s a creative business after all.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=111742]@Walruzz[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Both words have non-family friendly overtones but it is all personal opinion.

Did you have a list of alternative names you are considering?

Cheers

ModernDayPA
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Walruzz,
    For commercial target market, then I’d suggest incorporating words that they search for in Google searches, such as “visual”, “lights”, or “displays”.
    You could do a quick survey via your business Facebook page, or an email to selected clients, and ask them to tell you what words they associate with your business/what would they Google when searching for your services.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Sorry but when I first saw that name I figured something to do with chemistry or science type stuff, nearly fell of my chair when you said what you actually do. I would dump the name for commercial or ”family friendly clients” (whatever they are).

Dump it

DwainElliott
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Unfortunately your business name isn’t doing you many favours, it sounds more like a 90’s grunge/punk rock band than an visual effects equipment and technician hire business.

However I am a big believer that quality, reliability, affordability and (in-turn) a good reputation are more important to a business than a business name. If your company name is already out there and well established with a good reputation you may have to weigh up the pros and cons of changing and re-branding it.

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

A name doesn’t necessarily need to say what you actually do but it should make people feel confident that you know what you are doing. I think Chemical Lobotomy would be a great name for a punk band but from a professional point of view it makes it sound like you have had your creativity limited. I would look for a fun name that inspires customers and shows you to be innovative and professional.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Whatever you choose make sure that the domain name is available, and all social properties.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 261034, member: 39536 wrote:
    Whatever you choose make sure that the domain name is available, and all social properties.

And the trademark ;)

I agree with some earlier comments here – reputation can be more important than the name itself. Google is actually a perfect example. The word Google doesn’t automatically tell us they are a search engine/IT/Tech brand. Apple doesn’t scream MP3 players, computers etc (it’s a fruit!)

BUT, that said, whilst I think Chemical Labotomy is quite ‘funky’ for your services, it perhaps isn’t the right fit for commercial/family events versus musical festivals/concerts and similar.

Is it possible to operate two arms to the business – one with the existing name for existing market and clientele (which I assume from the name is a bit more music/festival focused etc) and a second for your corporate/family market?

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 261047, member: 20176 wrote:
    And the trademark ;)

Doh!

I should know better ;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.