Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business name invalid character

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jayssen
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

The business name I want to use contains the character “+” – however ASIC allow many many characters but not “+”. My question is, can I register the business name, replacing the + with something like &, but create a logo that is my business name using the + and use that on packaging, and the website, etc?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    jayssen, post: 242643, member: 88917 wrote:
    The business name I want to use contains the character “+” – however ASIC allow many many characters but not “+”. My question is, can I register the business name, replacing the + with something like &, but create a logo that is my business name using the + and use that on packaging, and the website, etc?
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining Flying Solo and posting today.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

Cheers

jayssen
    Up

I may have researched my way to an answer. So, I register my business name as “X and Y”. My website and products are “X+Y”. In small text on the product and website I state “X+Y is produced by X and Y”

Does that sound legit?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi jayssen,

I like your approach – let’s hope there is a lawyer along to give it the once over.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Jayssen

My 2 cents here..

A business name is a legal requirement… a big part of this is to allow others to properly identify who they are doing business with if ever needed. A business name is kind of an alias for whoever is operating the business – e.g. a sole trader, partnership or company. So, we need to be able to search on a business name and determine who the actual legal entity behind it is if ever needed.

Therefore, if you were to register the business name as “X & Y” or “X and Y”, then the business name you’ve registered should appear where people can find it (e.g. website footers, on invoices etc) in case they do ever need to identify who is operating your business.

Your logo and ‘brand’ could be a variation of this and be promoted on packaging, website etc – again, so long as if needed a customer or other person could locate the business details if needed in order to identify who is operating the business, or can use the details of that logo/packaging to identify the business.

Consider too a trademark search on all variations you intend to register/use to ensure that your business name/logo etc are not too similar to a registered trademark. (e.g. from a trademark perspective if someone has registered the same name using a “+” rather than “&” for the same/similar business type then your use of the other could be too similar).

Hope this helps. All the best.

jayssen
    Up

Thanks Jacqui, after my initial panic, that is the conclusion I came to as well. :)

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi,

My 2 cent worth.

Why not register your business name as “X plus Y” using the word Plus rather than & and then you can display it on your logo and website as X + Y (unless that is trademarked as Jacqui said)

:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.