Home – New Forums Other discussions Business Name Registration Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heretolearnbusiness
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I was a sole trader and registered a business name under my personal ABN.

I then incorporated a company and did all the necessary paperwork to transfer my business name from myself as a sole trader to use the business name as a Pty Ltd company.

However, when I do business name search. The business name is registered as a company, but there is another record showing it under my personal name too.

I thought it would automatically cancel and just be associated by itself.

Am i supposed to log in to my personal ASIC profile online and cancel the business name? or?

Thank you in advance for any feedback received :)

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

It’s quite possible that it’s just a historical record. What is the business name or ABN so we can take a closer look?

heretolearnbusiness, post: 181269 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I was a sole trader and registered a business name under my personal ABN.

I then incorporated a company and did all the necessary paperwork to transfer my business name from myself as a sole trader to use the business name as a Pty Ltd company.

However, when I do business name search. The business name is registered as a company, but there is another record showing it under my personal name too.

I thought it would automatically cancel and just be associated by itself.

Am i supposed to log in to my personal ASIC profile online and cancel the business name? or?

Thank you in advance for any feedback received :)

heretolearnbusiness
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Well to answer your question James, it is not a historical record, its a valid business name registered under a sole trader (me).

I just spoke to a representative from ASIC who advised me that ASIC allows for you to have a business name as a sole trader and as a company. I asked her why I would possibly want that to which she could not assist me.

Apparently though people do it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Otherwise I will cancel the business name as a sole trader and just have it as a company.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.