Home – New Forums Other discussions Business name registration question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

I have the opportunity to branch out into a completely different business area. If I go ahead, I’d like to use my name as the business name. If that’s the case, will I need to register it?

Also, am I right in thinking that I can use my existing ABN as I will be in the same business structure (i.e. sole trader)?

Thanks 😮

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    bridiej, post: 120093 wrote:
    I have the opportunity to branch out into a completely different business area. If I go ahead, I’d like to use my name as the business name. If that’s the case, will I need to register it?

No, you don’t need to register a business name if you are trading as your own name. Just don’t add any extra words to it, like “super” or “extraordinaire” ;)

Also, am I right in thinking that I can use my existing ABN as I will be in the same business structure (i.e. sole trader)?

Yes, as long as your ABN is current, it will apply to all new business names.

Wendy :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Just to elaborate a tiny bit on Wendy’s reply – you can’t add any extra words to your name – not even a purely descriptive word. I also believe that it needs to be your full name, otherwise you would have to register – i.e. “B Jenner” would still require registration.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Thanks for the replies and clarification :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.