Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Business Name – should I change?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    ::

Hi all, I’m hoping for some honest feedback regarding my business name, being Easy Peas Web Design. (easypeas.com.au)

How the name came to be is a long story and it fit my business well initially, but now as the business as evolved, I just don’t know if its suitable. The flip side is it’s quite a hassle (and costly) to change for a number of reasons.

People I talk to often remark that it’s cute & memorable, but other suggest its weird!

I’d love to hear your thoughts! Is it –

1. Fine / Great, stick with it.
    2. Weird, doesn’t do the business justice, it’s worth the hassle of changing.
    3. Stop wasting time – get back to work.

thanks!
    Gav

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

I like the name. It’s welcoming and fun.

But I also noticed when viewing your page on ipad the word perform in the slider sat right on top of the black frame around the computer monitor. I have a screen shot if you want it.

easypeas
    Up
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 186343 wrote:

I like the name. It’s welcoming and fun.

But I also noticed when viewing your page on ipad the word perform in the slider sat right on top of the black frame around the computer monitor. I have a screen shot if you want it.

Thank you for your feedback. (the issue with the ipad should now be fixed too – thanks for spotting that one!)

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I would stick with it and not worry too much.

Having been heavily involved in one business that rebranded and considering suggesting a rebrand to another (co-incidence, i’m not a “rebranding guy”!), I can say that there are often good reasons for a rebrand and benefits of this, but downsides as well.

Good reasons to me may include
    1) Where the brand is damaged (eg new owners buying a business out of administration, or major PR problems), but ONLY if the business has also been reinvented or significantly changed as this can backfire also.

2) Where the name of a business is confusingly similar to another and it’s causing problems.

3) Where the name doesn’t match the business at all due to poorly chosen original name – ie a city name in a business name (I hate this), or where an industry or trade is in the name but you have grown beyond this.

There are of course many other reasons, but the above are the main ones I can think of where i’d consider a change.

Reasons not to change:
    1) Some people think it’s weird (especially if you are in a creative industry!)

A brand is what you make it. And unique is good – I often think my name is too generic and is more like a description than a name. For every person who thinks it’s weird, there will be another who thinks you sound nice and fun and easy to work with and will be attracted to that!

Just my thoughts!

Matt

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Stick with it – If people think it’s weird, they will talk about it, remember you to refer you etc.

By the way I like it – something quirky!

Tim@Zinger
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I’m with the others. Stick with the name cos it’s fine. I’m curious, though, whether you have another name in mind that you’re considering?

easypeas
    Up

Thank you all for your replies, and Matt for your detailed response – much appreciated. It sounds like the verdict is to stay with it :)

Tim, I hadn’t settled on an alternative… a few maybes but that was all.

thanks again.

CalebBoag
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Why should you change that name, it’s quirky and stays in your mind. So unless you come up with something really good you shouldn’t change that name. Corporate name changes can be very tricky, they can make or break a business. In your case I think continuing with the current name is the best option.

SACKO – Head Office
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi Gav,

I agree. Your business name is quite unusual but it is catchy and notable.

I suggest you stick to it as to avoid building confusion with your customers. Have visited your website also and I must say it’s well presented and the visual is good.

Regards,
    Edelyn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.