Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Business names and rules for using

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lilsilverprints
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

I’m branching out a new line for my business and am considering changing my business name to better reflect the new line and the way the business is going or alternatively just naming some collections like ‘abcd by xyz’.

However, either way I don’t think I want to use the current name – Little Silver Prints – so my question is, can I use an abbreviated version like ‘LSP’ if it’s not registered as an official name or am I going to have to either use the full name or register a new name?

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Not sure if I’ve got your intention right…

Are you asking about registering a domain name or a business name? There is a big diference.

In the online world there is a big conflict going on because the Aust. domain name authority is national but business laws are state based.

I am not a lawyer!

What sems to be happening is that the Aust. federal courts are using registered trademarks and business names in determining ownership rights of domain names.

Eg: There are cases where Aust. motor car dealers have lost domain name ownership to General Motors Aust. when they registered domains names that included the word “holden” in them.

If you want to register the domain name LSP.com.au, you may lose ownership of it to a bunch of Aust registered companies with the name LSP Pty Ltd.
    Regs,
    JohnW

lilsilverprints
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

lsp.com.au is already registered so if I made it a ‘collection’ I could tag is back to my current domain. In terms of marketing material LSP would be much easier to refer to but guess it would be confusing if it’s not the actual business and domain name?

Natalie Khoo
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi there. I just thought I’d throw in my 2 cents that using an abbreviation
    or an acronym is bad for branding and SEO (unless you’re a large
    organisation like ANZ for example). Just by seeing your business name,
    people can’t deduce what kind of products or services you offer. Also, not
    using the keywords relevant to your business means you will be less likely
    to be found by users looking for your products/services in a Google search.
    For these reasons, I would suggest you stick to a descriptive name. Best of
    luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.