Home – New Forums Selling online Business registration needed for Domain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roasted111
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone , I require guidance please.

Basically I’m going to start a company but I want to register my domain first before anyone grabs it.

I have no intention of making any profit for another year or two ( due to setup etc).

All I want is a domain right now.

I need to apply for an ACN ( not ABN due to its structure). The problem is during the application process which can be done swiftly online what options do I choose to avoid the most tax fees etc…

Has anyone else done this?
    If so can you tell me what steps you took to do this?

It’s true I have no Idea when it comes to company law but I want this domain name really fast.

thanks everyone :)
    Forgive my ignorance

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Roasted,

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you’ll get some advice about your business structure soon.

We’re glad to have you here, and good luck with your non-profit company. :)

Dave

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Roasted111,

There are a couple of ways to attack the problem at hand.

If I were in this position I would start by getting a personal ABN and then registering the domain under that ABN. It will be cheap enough to change the business information on the domain once registered and you will have peace of mind in the meantime. You could easily cancel the ABN as soon as everything else is lined up.

That would also mean you can put off your ACN registration for a bit longer and have a chat to an accountant to get advice relevant to you. If you have a friend in the field that’s always the cheapest way to get started!

If you wanted to go it alone, there are plenty of good online services out there. I know LawPath do company registrations and it makes it all a bit easier than doing all the forms direct through ASIC: http://sem.lawpath.com.au/acn-registration/

MattMaher
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hey Roasted,

Unfortunately there is no other way to register “com.au” domains without an ABN. James’ advice definitely hits the nail on the head and it is a quick process that I personally have done myself to secure my company’s AUS domain.

On another note, I would seriously recommend that once you have your ABN and are registering your ‘com.au’ pay that little bit extra and obtain ‘.com’ in the same name (if not already taken). You may have no intention of expanding your brand beyond our shores but you definitely do not want someone else owning the top level web address or receiving free web traffic from clumsy typists that you have spent money marketing towards.

Some would say I too am a clumsy typists.

With your ‘.com’ domain you can simply ‘park it’. Essentially do nothing with it and pay small annual/bi annual registration fees to keep ownership of it.

Regards,
    Matt Maher

The Profit People
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Roasted111,

One more thing I would check is to see if the business name is available on the ASIC website. http://www.asic.gov.au

Even if you get the domain name and are unable to secure the business trading name it will prove very hard to start business under that name if its already taken by another business.

It’s not that much to register the trading name…

Cheers
    Michael

Blank
    Participant
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Given that internet is really global and thousands of top level domains, there may really be no need to register a “.au” address. Therefore you if you dont want a .AU then go ahead and register the domain long before you create the company.

The .AU namespace is restricted, due to the rules that Robert Els put in place when he first registered .au so that you could only regsiter a domain iin australia if you could demonstrate that you had the rights to use it.

For many years he personally approved all AU domain registrations until he handed it over to commerical parties but it was conditional on still protecting the names, The providers are a bit slack now, but you wont get away with much. The rule is essentially thus for .com.au, the domain needs to be a part or full match of your company/business name or otherwise you need to show good reason why you are entitled to that domain.

Its kind of interesting that .au was actuallly owned by a computer nerd all those years ago. It is because of his foresight that the AU namespace is probably the most reliable and trusted in the world.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    Blank, post: 214971, member: 61683 wrote:
    ..there may really be no need to register a “.au” address..

Its kind of interesting that .au was actuallly owned by a computer nerd all those years ago. It is because of his foresight that the AU namespace is probably the most reliable and trusted in the world.

Bit of conflicting advice here..

.com.au definitely an important factor for selling in Australia, it’s changing a little bit but consumers in Australia still look for that .com.au to ensure they’re dealing with a legitimate Australian business.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.