Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Business review: Burger shop in small regional town

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CaraTee
    • Total posts: 77
    Up
    ::

Small regional town; has post office, small supermarket, cafe, pub, pizza shop, day time cheap takeaway. 20km to major regional town. Located on tourist route and is building as a strong weekend destination for the district.

Currently the only night time food is pizza shop ($22 for pizza and very busy) and a pub ($20-25 for a main). Fish n chip, major fast food located 20km drive.

We are thinking of upmarket burger shop. Everything produced in house – sauces, patties from high quality meat, brioche rolls etc. Needing to strike the balance between a nice place to go for a weekend dine in with friends as well as a regular takeaway.

Proposed menu

1. Cheese burger (double cheese, gherkins, ‘Special Sauce’) $7
    2. Beef burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, ‘Special Sauce’) $9
    3. Big beef burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, bacon, egg, pineapple, beetroot, ‘homemade Special Sauce’) $12
    4. BBQ beef burger (double beef, double cheese, bacon, BBQ sauce, mayo) $14
    5. Chicken burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, aioli) $9
    6. Pulled pork burger(crackling, Asian coleslaw, mayo) $9
    7. Lamb burger(Moroccan lamb, eggplant crisps, tomato, lettuce, minted yoghurt) $9
    8. Veggie burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, ‘Special Sauce’) $9
    9. Chilli burger (choice of beef, chicken or veggie pattie) cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, chilli mayo) $9
    10. Kids mini burger (choice of beef, chicken or veggie pattie), cheese, lettuce, tomato, ‘Special Sauce’ $5

CHIPS – hand cut SML $3 Large $5

Too many options? Or ok? Worth getting rid of the lamb and pork to avoid wastage? Or freeze patties?

Other items we considering

DRINKS
    -milkshakes (but not syrup ones so I would need to come up with creative options that we can make from scratch)
    -soda/spiders
    OR – we just do packaged normal drinks
    OR – we look at a dine in liquor license and focus on beer/cider (although that would make it more a dine in and we aren’t sure if we better off trying to push takeaway – my thoughts are takeaway is easier money but perhaps spend per customer is higher for dine in?

DESSERTS we considering (would only do 1 or max 2 just not sure which way to go
    -choc tops
    -donuts
    -mini cheesecake/choc pud

thoughts? suggestions?

CaraTee
    Up

oh and in regard to pricing?

Since we don’t want to focus too much on price – our price point will be higher end so people won’t come to us because we are ‘cheap’ how to we market the business/menu to be

-easy to understand
    -get highest spend possible per customer

my initial thoughts it to offer combos, however then it becomes price focused and give little room to increase prices over time.

so another option is to add a drink + chips for x amount to any burger?

or do we just offer items seperately?

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Sounds like you’ve got a decent opportunity in front of you.

I live in a tourist location and to me your prices seem a little cheap for burgers. Again it depends on your area as mine is very tourist focused in QLD.

Your flavours seem fine but I would ensure you keep it simple. Maybe you’d be best to start with a smaller list and then trial burgers on a monthly basis to see which one sells best and provides you with the best profits.

Are you interested in Gluten Free? It’s fairly requested option especially for tourists and all you need to do is buy gluten free bread and add a surcharge to cover your costs. You might also want to keep that in mind when developing sauces and other things as there are many GF alternatives that taste the same or better than the norm. I’m not coeliac myself but my wife is and it’s always a disappointment when places can’t accommodate.

If you look at places like grilld they also add sauces as an extra cost to increase their sale. Many people will buy all three rather than just one if all the flavours are nice.

I’m not in the food industry, just like eating burgers as most people would. Hope this helps

CaraTee
    Up

Thanks for the reply. We are not huge tourist android rely on local repeat business so didn’t want to price us out.

Definately thinking gluten free. Everything except buns made in house and would be gluten free. And trying to source a decent gf bun. (Avoiding temptation to do crumbed chicken for this reason)

Biggest issue I’m having is how to present the menu. I’m running a survey through survey monkey at present and most people want combo option with drink and chips. Issue I have is too many variables. Soda and milkshakes have different price points and then there sizing s, m, l (or maybe just s, l). That’s a lot of options.

I guess I have to work out where their is more profit from bigger portions or different drinks?

So I could do

Option 1: burger, chips & soda in s,l at set price. Add milkshake for x. But that would mean one price to cover both milkshake sizes.

Option 2: burger,chips & soda $14 burger, chips & milkshake $18 upsize any combo to large chips and drinks for $2 or something.

Option 3: all burgers include chips. Add a soda for $x or a
    Milkshake for y

I guess option two covers most variables but does it then mean you are potentially losing chip sales by dinribe just buying burger?

CaraTee
    Up

Thank you Sandra for the reply – that does make sense and yes I think its a good simple approach.

I currently have 150ppl who have answered survey (need to pay to unlock anything over 100 so only have the first 100 at this stage). 1/3 wanted milkshakes and 2/3 wanted soft drinks so your suggestion follows that. And half said they were happy with whatever size chips came in meal deal.

As for products this has been the breakdown so far with my changes in RED
    Answer Choices

Responses

Cheese burger (double cheese, gherkins, Special Sauce)
    51.00% 51 KEEP AS IS

Beef burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, Special Sauce)
    59.00% 59 KEEP AS IS

Big beef burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, bacon, egg, pineapple, beetroot, ‘Special Sauce) This isn’t as high as I thought, I thought it would be most popular burger. In additional toppings beetroot and pineapple did not rate that high so I think I will just ADD BACON & EGG
    32.00% 32

BBQ beef burger (double beef, double cheese, bacon, BBQ sauce, mayo)
    33.00% 33 NOT SURE IF I KEEP OR RUN AS SPECIAL (IT COULD BE GOOD TO HAVE A MORE $$$ BURGER THAT PEOPLE DON’T BUY HEAPS TO MAKE THE BIG BURGER MORE REASONABLY PRICED?)

Chicken burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, aioli)
    65.00% 65 KEEP – ALSO THINKING PERHAPS I EITHER ADD BACON TO THIS BURGER OR MAKE A SECOND OPTION “CHICK AND BACON BURGER

Pulled pork burger(crackling, Asian coleslaw, mayo)
    54.00% 54 KEEP

Lamb burger(Moroccan lamb, eggplant crisps, tomato, lettuce, minted yoghurt)
    31.00% 31 MAYBE RUN AS A SPECIAL

Veggie burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkins, ‘Fat Patties Special Sauce’)
    19.00% 19 (WANT VEGGO OPTION – WHETHER I SAY VEG PATTIE AVAILABLE ON ANY BURGER OR KEEP THIS IM NOT SURE?)

Chilli burger (choice of beef, chicken or veggie pattie) cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, chilli mayo)
    13.00% 13 DROP – MAYBE PUT ON AS A SPECIAL BUT OFFER JALAPENOS AS AN ADDITIONAL TOPPING

Kids mini burger (choice of beef, chicken or veggie pattie), cheese, lettuce, tomato, ‘Special Sauce’ (KEEP)
    47.00% 47
    Total Respondents: 100

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Cara,

When I am away from home there are two things I try to find:
    – the perfect pie; and
    – the perfect burger.
    Either way I am a happy man…

Can I suggest you google Fergburger and have a look at their menu… if you do not know anything about it – it is a ‘must do’ when heading to Queenstown. I gave in to the hype and it was well worth it…

The other thing – don’t dispense with the hot burger, if anything go hotter.
    Google Thirsty Crow Wagga and have a look how they do their menu. I love my food seriously hot so I am intrigued by the Hawaiian Lava – even if I never get there it won’t stop me from ordering Crowley’s Hot sauce over the internet.

To be honest, I wouldn’t order the chilli burger if given the chance – you may want to cater to people that like hot food but I would think they would come away with the feeling the burger was ‘under done’. Try to find a local supplier of hot sauce and take the experience to a new level (this is how the Thirsty Crow did it). You may find that you may not sell many to those that fear heat, but word of mouth around chilli-heads can be a serious thing!

All the best with it!

Regards,

Mark

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Just reading your menu has made me hungry.

You also need something reasonably priced for the grey nomads who are very conscious of what they spend on food and drink.

I would love to know roughly what area your in so I can organise a trip through your part of town and sample hamburger delights instead of that fast food stuf that starts with mmmmmmmmm now what letter was I looking for.

Mirella Vertigo
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Cara,

It’s important to note that if you are going to offer vegetarian burgers with cheese, you need to ensure the cheese is non-animal rennet (vegetarian). This is also applies if you want to offer the option of a veggie patty with all the other burgers.

Maybe run the lamb burger as a special in your opening weeks to determine its viability in adding it to the menu permanently.

Have a side menu of extras such as bacon, egg, jalapeno, coleslaw, etc. Make note of what your customers ask in regard to adding extras to their burgers, and include the most popular ones in later menus.

All the best!

Mirella

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

My main concern is that if you only have Gluten free option,, it may scare of a lot of people who don’t see that as a benefit.

I would have both Gluten free and normal options. There is still a big perception out that Gluten free doesnt taste anygood, and it would be a pity to limit your custom becuase of that.

CaraTee
    Up
    bb1, post: 196967 wrote:
    My main concern is that if you only have Gluten free option,, it may scare of a lot of people who don’t see that as a benefit.

I would have both Gluten free and normal options. There is still a big perception out that Gluten free doesnt taste anygood, and it would be a pity to limit your custom becuase of that.

Sorry im not quite following what you mean? The normal bums would be gluten free, but there would be option to swap that bun for a gluten free bun if you want one.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Your original (and just recent post), all seemed to indicate Gluten free only. I was saying you must offer normal rolls as well, or else you can have the best burgers and best prices, people wont come in. There are a lot of people who just wont go down the Gluten free track due to the percieved lack of taste.

CaraTee
    Up

Oh ok my error apologies. Definately normal buns ( brioche)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.