Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business/trading name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TashJ
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Apologies if this is a stupid question – I’ve searched through old threads and articles but can’t find the answer (possibly because it’s actually very simple!)

I have a business name registered which is one word – e.g.. Banana. If I want to sell products under the name Banana Crafts do I need to amend my business name / add another business name to my ABN? There is no associated company.

TIA, Tash

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Tash :)

If you will effectively be trading as “Banana Crafts” (rather than simply Banana) – such that your customers/suppliers etc will believe the business is called Banana Crafts then it would be best to register this as your business name. If you were clearly identified as “Banana” but then had a description a little separate of “crafts” or “crafts and arts” etc then you could probably leave it. Think about how others will recall your name – if it’s likely they’ll recall you as Banana Crafts then this should be registered.

However, I don’t think you can actually change the business name. You would need to register the new name (assuming available) and then cancel the old.

Knowing a little about what you are doing – I would suggest you need to register the new “Banana Crafts” name :)

TashJ
    Up

Thanks so much Jacqui.

I can’t thank you enough for all your help :)

Tash

Carl Desacola
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Tash,

Did you mean your products will bear the name “Banana Crafts”, or your business itself will bear the name “Banana Crafts”?

If the former, then you can continue to use “Banana” as your business name.

However, if it is the latter, then you will need to cancel “Banana” as a business name and apply for “Banana Crafts” as a new business name – that is, you cannot simply “amend” an existing business name.

(Of course, you will retain the same ABN if you will continue to trade under the same entity.)

Kind Regards,

Carl Desacola
    Director | Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1461661)

Winthrop Mason | Business Lawyers & Migration Agents
    P (07) 3303 0843 F (07) 3303 0842

Winthrop Mason Pty Ltd ACN 168 185 886
    AMP Place, Level 19, 10 Eagle Street, Brisbane, Qld 4000

Individual liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

TashJ
    Up

Thanks Carl, I think it will apply to products and the business itself and the domains I have also have the ‘crafts’ addition.
    I’ll apply for the addition/cancellation.
    Thanks for your help :)
    Tash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.