Home – New Forums Starting your journey Business vs company name, setup and website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    syntax
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hello, fellow solo flyers.

My employer has decided to change my position and cut my pay because I foolishly decided to have a baby so I’m looking to start my own thing with a view to giving them the heave-ho.

I have a few questions.

1. If I start a company, I assume I can set up several separate and unrelated businesses under the one company name. Correct? If so, I assume the company name can be something more generic than the business names. I’d rather avoid using my name. Anyone know of any rules/tips on choosing a company name?

2. I’ll do this via an accountant. Does the accountant handle everything or do I need to register with ASIC etc? Any idea how long it takes to set up a company and business name?

3. Having a painful time coming up with a business name that isn’t already taken. Finally got one and .com.au is available but the .com isn’t. I’m getting an “Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.” message. Looks like I can only apply to backorder. Any techy types have any advice on this? Do I really need .com?

Thanks!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome aboard [USER=101131]@syntax[/USER]!

Sorry to hear about your employer not treating you right, and best of luck with making an exit.

Regarding the .com, if you’re only targeting an Australian market, then the .com.au is preferred and .com is not necessary in many cases.

One of our accountants is sure to help you out with the rest. :)
    Dave

CloudStorming
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

1. I am no expert but your company can be anything, most people who want to do what you say, would call it company X holdings or similar. As long as it is unique. You can run seperate businesses, as long as you are invoicing with a registered name. Also consider a trademark in Australia or international depending on what you are doing, to protect your IP.

2. There are a zillion online business registration sites that will do it for you, but I like the look of a new one called Veromo: https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/advice/startupsmart-funding/sydney-startup-veromo-launches-with-nearly-1-million-in-funding-to-drive-the-ideas-boom/

3. I am good at picking domain names, if you message me with more details about what you are looking for and your industry/product I can help. 404 and backorder means it is taken, so forget about that one. .com.au is fine even selling internationally.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

What is your business? Shouldn’t the name represent what you are doing? If it’s a bakery then it’s Lynn’s breads or something like this, makes marketing easier.

Ross Forrester
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

A company can operate with several business names.

An accountant can attend to the company creation and management. A lawyer can also create a company for you.

You can also do it online for a lower price but you will not get advice on how best to structure the company for you.

Getting a company name does not give you intellectual property protection. There can be a lot of minor variations on a company name. A company name, or a registered business name, simply gives the public the ability to identify the person who is operating (among other things).

To protect your name, or variations of your name, you need a trademark.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.