Home – New Forums Logistics But whats best for your customer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

I see so many threads on here asking what is the cheapest shipping company to send my X sized parcel. As online retailers is that really the question we should be asking?

We all think cost is best for the customer, or is that for our bottom line?

The real question we should be asking is what is best for the customer (yeah I know I am the one who says the customer is not always right)?

Why do I say that, one of my suppliers has just changed shipping companies, and when I rang them they said it was based on price, and I queried what the difference was it was a grand total of 50cents.

I should be happy they saved me 50cents, BUT with this shipping company they use local business’s to do a safe drop if the customer is not home. well sure Australia Post did that with the Post office so what’s different you ask? In most instances you local Aus Post place is not to far from home, in this case I was up for a 10K trip totally out of the way. Sure I saved 50 cents, but most likely spent $3.00 on petrol, a good 30 minutes in time.

With another courier, they will redeliver but they only deliver to most areas once or twice a week, so if a redelivery is required your customer could be waiting a week for the parcel.

I’m not saying don’t go for the cheapest but check what all their arrangements are as sometimes $’s is not all that is best for the customer.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I am glad you brought this up. I live in a tiny country town and I will not buy from businesses that courier companies that won’t safe drop, or the business has not asked if I would like safe drop before buying.
    I can’t afford to wait around at home just in case they show up that day, and if I miss a delivery I can’t afford to take time off to travel an hour to pick up from their depot, assuming that company has a depot so close.

Businesses in cities often don’t realise that country people have less access to services and can be waiting a week or two for a courier to have a truck coming our way.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Having now lived in both regional Vic and now regional SA…how you deliver online product purchases is a major issue in the scrub and probably everywhere for that matter…my experience has been very mixed as a consumer but after retrieving several expensive packages (some over 2K) from the PO, with no card, no nothing from the courier service…me just guessing and checking (oh I forgot, I did get the highly inaccurate tracking emails-and the ongoing email marketing s@#$t if you join up).

My assumption is that much of the issue is down to how individual subcontractors go about their business and some of them are crap…what really sticks in my craw is I can’t seem to find any simple way to to get revenge.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Interesting both replies are from country areas, I’m definitely in suburbia, and the issues are the same, It appears to be an industry issue.

[USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] I once had a $1500 coin left on my front door step, which had stickers plastered all over it not to leave at door, and signature required. The excuse provided was their scanner wasn’t working. Obviously needed the scanner to read the big Orange stickers which were bigger then the address.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    bb1, post: 251964, member: 53375 wrote:
    Interesting both replies are from country areas, I’m definitely in suburbia, and the issues are the same, It appears to be an industry issue.

[USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] I once had a $1500 coin left on my front door step, which had stickers plastered all over it not to leave at door, and signature required. The excuse provided was their scanner wasn’t working. Obviously needed the scanner to read the big Orange stickers which were bigger then the address.

Possibly worse in the city, at least I can easily access a Post Office during the day, there’s no traffic issues here :)

I don’t seem to have a problem when it’s a private courier ‘end to end’ only Startrack/post office is a problem and it’s directly related, or seems to be, to parcel size.

Small enough for the letterbox…perfect, large to huge, perfect…smallish like a brand new laptop, or spare parts, a shambles.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Agreed for some of the lower cost ones it is a race to the bottom on price, turnaround time and quality of service.

We have a few courier accounts including premium and lower cost which are chosen according to the type of order and best needs of that given customer at the time.

The lower cost ones really fail once you have regional and more complex deliveries or instructions.

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

I’ve had the same issue in the suburbs. The local Aust Post outlet is fine for a pick-up, but I’ve had a couple of parcels that needed to be picked up from Port Melbourne – a pain in the whatsit. Especially when I knew one of them hadn’t even bothered to attempt delivery, because, you know, I work from home and can generally tell when someone turns up to the front door.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.