Home – New Forums Starting your journey Buying a cafe? Would you like free advice? (Offer now closed)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    mcboom
    • Total posts: 86
    Up
    ::

it sure is my cafe. Thanks for the compliment !

The Cafe Ninja
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    mcboom, post: 10922 wrote:
    I can totally empathise with you Howard. I went through exactly what you did setting up my first cafe with no hospitality experience http://www.trufflesmelbourne.com.au

How are things going for you now?

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Investor, post: 10985 wrote:
    I have a question to ask about selling coffee in cafe’s.
    If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

If i opened a cafe, and sold roughly 10kg coffee per week, at $3.00 per coffee, how much money is that?

I dont know how much money is involved in selling coffee per kg…

Thanks in advance.

People get caught up in the profit margin of coffee – it’s a bit of a smokescreen. Yes it’s profitable, but unless you’re just a coffee cart you can’t survive on coffee alone. Even then you still have to pay rent, electricity, barista, etc. It’s NOT that simple…

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Pressplay, post: 10928 wrote:
    Hello Craig,

This is my first post! I just joined…hello everyone :) I hope this works!

Would you be interested to know about Music in Cafes. What you need to know about fees to be paid, who to pay them to and also the importance of music – I mean background music – to these sorts of environments. Venues, Pubs, Cafes, Restaurants etc.

Cheers!
    Wendy

Sorry – just got your post…yes I would be interested to know – do you mean live music or pre-recorded or both?

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Pressplay, post: 10960 wrote:
    You will also need to pay APRA
    Go Here

To “play” music you need to pay PPCA (Artists/Record Companies) & APRA (composers/writers).

You can not “copy” music without a license either. If you are not going to pay for a Music Provider (Emstream, DMX, SBA etc) then I would suggest playing CDs. You can not “copy” music from a CD to your iPOD or another CD or PC etc & play it in your business. You can do that for personal use but not commercial use.

See MIPI for more information

Yes, but let’s be honest everyone does and who checks? I did that in my cafe for two years.

mcboom
    • Total posts: 86
    Up
    The Process Ninja, post: 11476 wrote:
    How are things going for you now?

We are getting there but it’s very hard work every day !

aaremms
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

i just put in a deposit for a small cafe – must confess i did little research for valuing the business to make my offer.. but went for it more so because i liked the idea of working in that location. will sign the contract and start my two week trial next week…. will enroll in a 3 hour barista course to prepare me…

Melissa
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I am hoping to have my own cafe in the next few years. I have taken neccesary steps to get there. I am a trained barista and have just recently completed my cooking apprenticeship and I have recently enrolled into a small business management(cert 3) course. However, Im still finding the finance part of buying into a business daunting as I am now a home owner.
    Got any tipsthat may help me out. I’ve heard that a large percentage of small businesses fail within the first year.

aaremms
    Up

melissa, one way to avoid the first year failure would be to buy an existing business that you have observed and are confident is doing well. ofcourse, you may have to pay a bit more for this – plenty of businesses are on sale at any given point. i did this myself – some people want to retire, some are moving interstate due to their partner’s job etc… ofcourse you can never be sure but its always a risk.

the other option is to find your own location and start afresh – trouble with this is that it takes a while to build up the business and you need enough cash to keep you going until that happens. if you own a property, the bank may lend you upto 70% of the equity you have in the house provided you can convince them of your experience or business plan.

good luck.

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Melissa, post: 12902 wrote:
    I am hoping to have my own cafe in the next few years. I have taken neccesary steps to get there. I am a trained barista and have just recently completed my cooking apprenticeship and I have recently enrolled into a small business management(cert 3) course. However, Im still finding the finance part of buying into a business daunting as I am now a home owner.
    Got any tipsthat may help me out. I’ve heard that a large percentage of small businesses fail within the first year.

No, that’s actually a myth. Don’t believe it. I now offer a range of fixed price cafe consultancy services if you are interested: http://www.thecafeninja.com

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    aaremms, post: 12903 wrote:
    melissa, one way to avoid the first year failure would be to buy an existing business that you have observed and are confident is doing well. ofcourse, you may have to pay a bit more for this – plenty of businesses are on sale at any given point. i did this myself – some people want to retire, some are moving interstate due to their partner’s job etc… ofcourse you can never be sure but its always a risk.

the other option is to find your own location and start afresh – trouble with this is that it takes a while to build up the business and you need enough cash to keep you going until that happens. if you own a property, the bank may lend you upto 70% of the equity you have in the house provided you can convince them of your experience or business plan.

good luck.

There are many POOR businesses out there for sale – particularly cafes. I’ve heard some real horror stories. I’ve just started up my consultancy business with fixed price services including a pre-purchase assessment at http://www.thecafeninja.com

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Craig
    Am I right in thinking that was you on the outsourcing panel at Flying solo Live yesterday? Interesting session…

I had a restaurant within an RSL as a client for a few years which brought quite a few unique problems – not sure if you are just covering cafes so might not be quite what you are looking for?

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Ideas Book, post: 14124 wrote:
    Hi Craig
    Am I right in thinking that was you on the outsourcing panel at Flying solo Live yesterday? Interesting session…

I had a restaurant within an RSL as a client for a few years which brought quite a few unique problems – not sure if you are just covering cafes so might not be quite what you are looking for?

I Sophie – sorry I am replying so late I don’t seem to be getting notifications on this thread. Yes that was me on the panel…at this stage just looking at cafes, but thanks for the offer of info.

The Cafe Ninja
    Up

To anyone reading this I am no longer offering free advice and I am not taking anymore feedback on the book. Details of my services can be found at http://www.thecafeninja.com.

bizexpert
    Up

I am buying a small cafe restaurant. This will be my first business purchase and I am wondering what I need to do legally. I know I need to file for a business license but what else? We think we should form an LLC for protection is that correct? Should we both be on the purchase or is it better for taxes to only put one? Do we need a business attorney?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.