Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Buying facebook fans & twitter followers… to buy or not to buy.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    dannyp
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I have recently been considering purchasing a small amount of these to get a like page and twitter profile some numbers to give it some sort of authority instead of slowly waiting for it to grow organically. My thoughts are that if they see my page with 2,000 likes as apposed to 25 likes they would take it more serious and be more reputable. Same with the twitter. Has anyone gone down this path before? what have your experiences been like?

for those that have used these services, have you heard of this one? I came across it on an internet marketing forum they seem cheap and apparently Australian operated, has anyone used these guys? http://www.socialextreme.net

Thanks for your help guys.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It can work as a way of adding perceived credibility, as long as you don’t have an unrealistic amount of fans.

fiverr.com is a good place to start.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Danny,

Whilst I agree a larger number of ‘likers’ can appear credible -I’m not a fan of buying likes/followers because:

a) it doesn’t look so credible if someone clicks on your like information and sees that the most popular city of engaged users is somewhere overseas/in the middle of nowhere etc (i.e. not a relevant city or location for your actual fans or potential fans),
    b) the stats would likely then show that no-one is actually talking about your page. If you have say 2000 ‘fans’, I’d expect to see engaged user activity and at least some of them talking about your page – to see only 1 or 2 out of 2000 would make me think you’d bought followers.
    c) Likewise, when you click another page’s “likes” to see the further information, it shows you a little graph of likes each week, so, any potential follower could see that you hummed along with a few new likes each week and then suddenly grow a 1500 followers one week and then dropped back to just a few a week.

Whilst not everyone will look any further than the actual number of likes (talking facebook here) some might, and you’ll need to weigh that up in deciding whether it’s ‘worth’ buying them for the numbers.

Just my 2c :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

^^^^ What Jacqui said ^^^^

Furthermore, many of the social media buying services are unreliable, and do not deliver on their promises.

Aussie based might sound nice, but in reality they would be using overseas services to source the likes.

If you do decide to do it, research the company you plan to use throughly.

The best way to buy likes is to use Facebook ads. Although this is a lot more expensive, the likes are real people who are interested in your business.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Sorry, I am going to be the Luddite again.

Isn’t having ‘authority’ on Facebook just like being the smartest guy in the Pub.

So much of the conversation here is about Facebook that it seems to be the main game not just a very small part in a business venture.

I keep watching but I am still seeing lots of noise, lots of effort but little in the way of businesses making real dollars. Am I cynical but isn’t FB just a good way to kick-back and kid yourself you are doing something productive.

Ok, back to my cave……

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I actually agree Steve – I weigh in sometimes on the Facebook discussion, but, in reality I don’t use Facebook to make $$ – I’ve liked pages that, for the most part, I genuinely like, and enjoy what they have to say and post about. I hope also for the most part people (the few followers that I do have) are genuinely interested in the stuff I post on Facebook (mostly posts/blogs re trademarks, IP and the like).

I am using it more as an online networking tool I suppose than actually for selling services. But, I suppose it could be different for some businesses and industries…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 129534 wrote:
    Sorry, I am going to be the Luddite again.

Isn’t having ‘authority’ on Facebook just like being the smartest guy in the Pub.

So much of the conversation here is about Facebook that it seems to be the main game not just a very small part in a business venture.

I keep watching but I am still seeing lots of noise, lots of effort but little in the way of businesses making real dollars. Am I cynical but isn’t FB just a good way to kick-back and kid yourself you are doing something productive.

Ok, back to my cave……The fact that Facebook can be an effective marketing channel is beyond dispute. It can, and has, worked well for business, small and large.

The question here is about buying likes. Noone in this thread is suggesting that Facebook is your only marketing tool.

Plus, it can be fun to do :)

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

I personally think it’s

a) dishonest – what trust to you expect from your customers after buying Likes/Followers?

b) faking it
    c) generally a stupid idea

and I don’t think that those kind of ethics would get you anywhere. We’re all in the same boat, having started our own business at one stage or the other and watching the numbers of our Facebook Likers (or Fans) go up.
    I get excited about every like but the difference here is I know whoever liked my page meant to do so because this person a) likes my page/products and b) is a true supporter of me and my business.

Good luck with whatever path you chose – make sure you do stay on the right track though.

Regards,
    Mel

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Agree completely with what Jacqui said. A few of the companies you can go through to buy Facebook likers also appear to just be selling spam bots. It’s pointless.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Im another against.

You need to be real, you need to be you.
    You need to be who you are showing you are.
    You are aiming for credibility, but are buying fans – that in itself is a contradiction.
    Activity will be close to nil on your page (that is what most users look for).

I don’t like a FB page because there are another thousand likers.
    I like a FB page for what it can do for me.
    Work on getting your fans to love what you do.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

True brand lovers cannot be purchased.

Just like true love in life cannot be purchased, but worked towards.

I would prefer 25 devout brand lovers over 1,000 fake profiles any day – and not one part of me would be less credible for it.

You have to start somewhere, be proud of that.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

So everyone’s saying that if you were looking online for a supplier and found a website that looked promising, a Facebook plugin on the site that says “234 people like this business” isn’t going to have the tiniest influence on your ultimate decision? Even subconciously?

As I said in my first post, the key is to make sure you a realistic number of fans.

You can say that it’s dishonest and stupid, but I’m sure we all, as small business owners have done things to make our businesses seem larger. Is it any different to saying we instead of I, or using a virtual office address?

FYI, most of my Facebook fans are real people. There isn’t much activity on my page, mainly because I can’t be bothered with it.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

@ the OP.

Buying likes can be good or it can be bad.
    If someone glances over your fb page and says “woahh 2k likes – must be good” then the investment in purchasing fans is positive.
    If someone glances over your fb page and says “woahh 2k likes – might be good” then looks closer and knows about the process of purchasing likes you may loose that customer.

In the end you will decide your strategy.

Steve

Tall Trees Eco Store
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

I tried it and I actually have found the paid likes interact a lot less with my Facebook page than the real likes.

I used the service because I too believed I’d have more brand cred with higher amount of likes.

I won’t do it again. I want to earn my likes and every one I do receive, I value.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    Tall Trees Eco Store, post: 129782 wrote:
    I tried it and I actually have found the paid likes interact a lot less with my Facebook page than the real likes. I used the service because I too believed I’d have more brand cred with higher amount of likes.

I won’t do it again. I want to earn my likes and every one I do receive, I value.

I would have thought that would have been expected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.