Home – New Forums Tech talk Buzz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    ::

For those of you that aren’t up on technology, Google just released a service that I would say is about halfway between twitter and Facebook. More so leaning towards the Twitter side.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it out yet?

I think it has potential, with the reason being that google has such a big audience with their gmail and buzz is very easily integrated.

Only problem is, facebook is soon to release their @facebook.com email addresses – which means means a lot of the 350million facebook users (who may have gmail) will be making a conversion.

Secondly, I’m very big on style and the style of Buzz is really second rate. I’m sure they will be releasing themes of customisations soon enough, I just think the default is hideous.

My Buzz is http://www.google.com/profiles/EmroyPost#buzz if anyone is interested.

What are your thoughts? Tried it out yet?

tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Didn’t know that about facebook – interesting. Though, i don’t know how successful that’ll be.. time will tell I suppose.

As far as Buzz goes, having gmail, I have tried it. It seems google is desperately trying to break into the social networking market.. first with orkut, then with wave and now with buzz.. Well show’s how much i know – when i agreed to set it up i read about there being a public page, but couldn’t figure out where it was – given, i didn’t really look much into it.

So i tried it with the interface built into gmail, seems ok – it’s all a matter of it gets any momentum, but requiring you to have a gmail account (i would think) bit of a restriction??

OK, so i found my public profile.. it doesn’t include the comments made by friends on that page? is that how twitter behaves?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Lol I just followed you then realised I was logged in as a client :S Unfollow!

RE @facebook.com emails – stick to what you’re good at. They’ll make it because you’ll auto be given one, but it will never be a Gmail killer.

Your Google accounts give access to so much more then your facebook account. You also have to consider all of those 350 million users already HAVE an email address. There’s a lot of effort involved in swapping to a new email address, especially to a user who doesn’t understand forwarding.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@tre3nton – It’s facebook that lets you see what other people write on your “wall” – When viewing a twitter profile, you only see what that person has posted, unless you search for @ThatPersonName

+Orkut is hugely popular in Brazil, whereas facebook takes a backseat. Myspace is still huge in some countries, it’s a bit dead in Australia.

@Chris
    – True, it was a bit anticlimatic with googles phone as well, I expected the whole world to be revolutised but it was just a less restrictive version of the Iphone. They changed the world with Youtube though and they are on the right track with the universal accounts. Personally, I think facebook email is going to hit google very hard.

Google used to be switzerland on most things which is why I think they were so respected, but they’ve recently just started open warfare with Microsoft, China, Apple, Twitter, Facebook. Ironically, they have a huge friend in Yahoo. Keep your enemies closer hey?

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Emroy

I looked at this the other day myself. But that was all I did, look. Did plan to get back to check it out later though and your post has prompted me to do just that.

My Buzz is http://www.google.com/profiles/EmroyPost#buzz if anyone is interested.

What are your thoughts? Tried it out yet?

I checked yours out and I have a few questions. I clicked on your profile and nothing appeared. Do I need to be a ‘follower’ of yours before I can view your profile?

Thanks

JulieA
    • Total posts: 130
    Up

LOL…I just Followed you Emoy. ( Oh, and you too Chris lol)
    Apparently if you have a gmail/Google account, you automatically have a Buzz one…well, that’s what I’m presuming, since it didn’t ask me to make an account to Follow you.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Karen – I don’t think there is any more to the profile than what you see.

@Julie
    – I’ll follow you back too =)

tr3nton
    Up

@Karen, I don’t think you need to follow to view what he has posted. More that if you do follow, you would get alerts in your gmail of new posts by those that you are following, etc.

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

@Karen – I don’t think there is any more to the profile than what you see

thanks, that would be why then :)

@Karen, I don’t think you need to follow to view what he has posted. More that if you do follow, you would get alerts in your gmail of new posts by those that you are following, etc.

Thanks tr3nton. I thought that that was the case, just wasn’t sure why I couldn’t view his profile but as Emroy explained he hasn’t really built it up yet.

thanks to you both for clearing it up.

tr3nton
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.