Home – New Forums Starting your journey Cake Business – Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andiescakes67
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am a Mum of two and investigating the procedures of kitchen set up for a home based cake business.
    I have called my local council and they have sent me a list of requirements. I’ve read it a fair few times, but I seem to get quite overwhelmed by it all.

So I was wondering, if someone/anyone can help with the little questions I have please?

Can I store my business ingredients in my pantry – on a separate shelf, clearly labelled? Or will be require a separate cupboard?
    I’ve been doing cakes for family and friends and I generally decorate the cakes on my dining table. Would that be ok? I have a table with tempered glass, and use a fondant mat to roll out my fondant. Will I need to cover the whole table with A FOOD GRADE PLASTIC sheet? Or will the fondant mat suffice?
    Also, can you buy food grade plastic sheeting from any where?

Alternatively, I can just use my Kitchen Bench – which is laminate. I just like the space of on the table.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers. I will have more questions I am sure…

Cheers
    Andie. :)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

All councils have different requirements with most requiring that you use a commercial kitchen.

Having said that I am sure that there are A LOT of people cooking at home and not sticking to all the regulations.

See if you can go through the requirements with a highlighter and mark the ones that make sense and then go through the rest.

It is never easy but it is better if you go through all the process right from the beginning.

3dgraphicswiz
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

The only thing that I know about cakes is that the chocolate mud ones taste nice.

But I wonder about a few things:

First, I assume that you have completed the course on safe food handling? Since about 2004 even people who volunteer [ school canteen shop mums etc] are required by law to do it. It’s not onerous. It’s a short course for a few weeks. Most community centres or TAFEs would offer it.

Second, I think that hygiene would be paramount here. If anything is going to wreck a cake business it will be some sort of contamination that will lead to a lawsuit and/or customers not coming back. As a consumer I bought fish and chips once and they were covered in detergent so I threw it away and said “I am not buying from them again!” If you knew a professional chef you could ask them how to make cakes cleanly. You want to keep any animals two million miles away. You want any cake supplies to be free of pests such as weevils or earwigs; I don’t know how you do that but someone would know. Also I think that you would be required to get a council hygiene inspection before you could start.

I am not trying to pour cold water on it. Cakes are great. I love cakes. There are different kinds. There are specialty markets such as wedding cakes. The market is out there. And people will pay a bit more for quality. I do with Brumbys. The difference between a supermarket sausage roll/pie/cake and a Brumbys one is enormous.

If you can get it right and you are good at it you could make a fair profit making people happy. And you get return customers. It is surprising what kind of customers you can get. Once I knew a small pie shop and it was located next to a CSIRO science research site. The scientists liked her pies!!

I might live nearby in SE Melbourne as well. Cakes. Delicious. :)

p.s further to the hygiene issue you might even have to take out some sort of professional insurance. I think that a chat with the council and/or a financial advisor would be sensible here. Again, not trying to kybosh it all. But you hope for the best and expect the worst.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Andie,

Welcome aboard, and sorry to hear that it’s all feeling overwhelming.

One of our long-term members here might be a good person for you to talk to – Jane at My Other Kitchen.

All the best for your new venture,
    Jayne

T4n
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Andie,

I’m pretty much on the same boat with you. Just starting up the gluten free, dairy free & egg free (vegan) cake premix base in Sydney. I’m planning to do the production at home while the quantity is still small to keep the cost down.

I wonder if you have any info about product liability insurance to share with me? Since I just starting up, there are a lot of costs involved and I try to pick those I really need, so would like to find out how much will be the insurance premium for home-based small business like us?

Thanks,
    Tan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.