Home – New Forums Starting your journey Cake/Catering Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sez
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi. I have been wanting to start my own home based cake business for so long, and I finally seem to be getting close to my goal. I would also eventually expand to catering as well as my kids get older and I have more time to put in. I have found the insurance will be pretty costly, but my biggest problem is that I need a registered kitchen to work from. To rent a kitchen while my business is small would pretty well cancel out any profit I might make, and while all the “how to” websites say you can do it from your home kitchen, I have been told that a home kitchen is too hard to use due to health regulations. Any advice would be much appreciated on either kitchen solutions or a good insurance company :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Sez,

You’re not the first person to visit the forums with this conundrum!

Where are you based? If in Victoria, I’d recommend connecting with forum member MYOK (My Other Kitchen – her name is Jane), who may have some good advice for you. It might be worthwhile chatting with her regardless of where you’re based actually.

These threads may also make interesting reading for you:
    Cake decorating at home legalities
    Food industry newbie

I hope that helps, and good luck with it all.

Jayne

MYOK
    Participant
    • Total posts: 146
    Up
    Sez, post: 129123 wrote:
    To rent a kitchen while my business is small would pretty well cancel out any profit I might make, and while all the “how to” websites say you can do it from your home kitchen, I have been told that a home kitchen is too hard to use due to health regulations. Any advice would be much appreciated on either kitchen solutions or a good insurance company :)

Hi Sez, good luck with your plans!

If I can offer any advice it would be to make sure you price your product correctly. It’s hard enough to make a profit from a food business without starting off on the back foot with your pricing. That means factoring in all the costs of a rental kitchen (you will end up paying these costs in your own once you become successful anyway). If you’d like to have a chat about specifics, just let me know.

I have just changed all my insurance over to ResCom with Phillip Carr. Happy to pass on his details as well.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

What kind of cakes do you make? If you make wedding cakes I’d like to talk with you :)

Sez
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I’m based in South Australia. Thanks for the help all. I’m only doing birthday cakes and such at the moment. I need a bit more practice before tackling weddings. Thankfully I know a wonderful lady who is probably the best cake decorator in town and she is giving me as much help as she can. She has her own kitchen at her place which she would gladly lend me, except that she works there pretty well full time and we can’t both fit!

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

Hi Sez,

I was also going to recommend My Other Kitchen, but if youre in Adelaide, perhaps see if there are any business incubators or similar shared/kitchens for hire, which you could use. I know Perth has some low-rental kitchens aimed towards small businesses – so Adelaide MUST have ;)

You could also see if a TAFE have facilities? Church halls or community halls? Anywhere that does cooking classes may also make the space available for hire.

Good luck!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you are interested in a home commercial kitchen, try your local health inspector (usually via your local council), in my experience they will often give you the scope of the work required to meet the standard, in Victoria they do the sign off before you can use it, can’t see SA being too much different.

Local hall etc. is a good idea, I’m a committee member at our local hall and we upgraded the kitchen specifically to meet the demand for micro businesses like yours to give them a kick along, one of these has been so successful they’re fitting out their new premises now.

Kitchen’s just the start with health inspectors in Vic. you’ll probably need a food handlers or supervisors ticket if you don’t already have one, plus a food safety plan on how you manage your process.

Good luck, nothing nicer than a home baked cakes.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Hi estim8 is spot on. One of my clients hire the local Senior citizens for $20.00 from 4pm to when they finish. They also use the local masonic lodge ($50.00) for large functions. Both have registered kitchens.

Make sure your insurance is organised, comply with all health requiremnts (temps, safe food handling etc..)

good luck – everyone loves real home made cakes!!!

chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

TempKitchenRent
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    Chris – Marketing, post: 130444 wrote:
    Hi estim8 is spot on. One of my clients hire the local Senior citizens for $20.00 from 4pm to when they finish. They also use the local masonic lodge ($50.00) for large functions. Both have registered kitchens.

Make sure your insurance is organised, comply with all health requiremnts (temps, safe food handling etc..)

good luck – everyone loves real home made cakes!!!

chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

Hi, I just joined this site (see my new member introduction post), and thought I let people know that Sydney has finally caught up with Melbourne.

On the 1st August 2012 I have opened TempKitchenRent.com.au in Ultimo.

We offer affordable fully equipped and Food Authority NSW registered Commercial Kitchens for rent by the hour, less than 1.5 km from Sydney CBD.

So to all who have dreamed to open and operate their own Food Business, you can now do so.

Good luck
    Gus

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

what a great idea Gus

In the US there was a business that helped connect home cooks to buyers, I forgot the name now.

Your business seems complimentary to that type of business in that some buyers maybe worried about hygiene standards and an rented kitchen would help to build that trust and attract more buyers for the cooks

TempKitchenRent
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    relentless, post: 139630 wrote:
    what a great idea Gus

In the US there was a business that helped connect home cooks to buyers, I forgot the name now.

Your business seems complimentary to that type of business in that some buyers maybe worried about hygiene standards and an rented kitchen would help to build that trust and attract more buyers for the cooks

Yes they call them Business Incubators, and it is an appropriate description, and like us they offer a unique opportunity to new and existing businesses that experience a need for extra cooking/production capacity on a trial or temporary basis.

We already had some very good bookings, but I get the biggest pleasure from the two regular start ups that have joined us and are able to trade and expand because of our facilities.

pastrygal
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

My partner and i are based in Adelaide and have reccently built our own kitchens for hire. Its called “The Cooks’ Base”.
    We have commercial kitchen space to hire by the day or hour certified by the local council and includes all new equipment.

Im not sure if you have already solved your problem of finding a suitable location but i thought it would hurt to let you know of our existance.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    Sez, post: 129285 wrote:
    I’m based in South Australia. Thanks for the help all. I’m only doing birthday cakes and such at the moment. I need a bit more practice before tackling weddings. Thankfully I know a wonderful lady who is probably the best cake decorator in town and she is giving me as much help as she can. She has her own kitchen at her place which she would gladly lend me, except that she works there pretty well full time and we can’t both fit!

Hi Suz, I am also in South Australia, and would like to offer some support and advise. As mentioned, although paying rent to another kitchen seam expensive, these cost will be reflected in your own kitchen once you get it up and running. Therefore it would be good if you could do this at the stage you are at, to see if in fact you can make a profit? Once you have your own kitchen, you may and I say again may be able to reduce cost. Perhaps you could strike a deal where your host gets a % of the sale. That way you are only paying rent on cakes you make.
    I agree that getting your costings right is critical. If you would like more advise, just email me at tonymanto@ hotmail.com

pastrygal
    Up

Hi,

Not sure if you are still looking for somewhere to make your cakes?

I have just built a facility that would be perfect for you. It has commercial kitchen spaces approved by the local council, available for hire by the hour, day or even longer.

Check it out on facebook…..It’s called The Cooks’ Base.

Also feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Sez, post: 129123 wrote:
    Hi. I have been wanting to start my own home based cake business for so long, and I finally seem to be getting close to my goal. I would also eventually expand to catering as well as my kids get older and I have more time to put in. I have found the insurance will be pretty costly, but my biggest problem is that I need a registered kitchen to work from. To rent a kitchen while my business is small would pretty well cancel out any profit I might make, and while all the “how to” websites say you can do it from your home kitchen, I have been told that a home kitchen is too hard to use due to health regulations. Any advice would be much appreciated on either kitchen solutions or a good insurance company :)
    Gubba
    Up

Hi Sez,

I am in canberra and I have the same interest (and problems) as you.

How are you doing now with your business? Do you mind sharing it here?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.