Home – New Forums Other discussions Call me old fashioned, but…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    ::

How would you finish the sentence?

Here’s mine: I prefer text messages to contain full, correctly spelled words.

Now that we have smart phones with querty keyboards, it would be “gr8” if we could ditch the shortcuts.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

… I cant stand it when people use “then” in stead of “than”

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

……I don’t want to see the branding on your under-pants.

…..please remember the friends of your friends also get to see your vulgar language and read about your sexual/drunken exploits on Facebook

….. I believe we don’t need to make reality TV programs about pregnant school girls

…. I cringe when I hear the word ‘but’ as the last word of a sentence instead of ‘though’.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 127590 wrote:
    … I cant stand it when people use “then” in stead of “than”

instead :)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 127612 wrote:
    …..please remember the friends of your friends also get to see your vulgar language and read about your sexual/drunken exploits on Facebook

This is one of my pet hates.

Does anyone else remember when there were marketing campaigns along the lines of “sign up 10 of your friend’s emails and receive a free xyz”? I’ve read the riot act to a few people for using my email address on those!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    tonyk, post: 127615 wrote:
    instead :)

I like to use the space bar alot :)

Steve

bluewoodstudio
    • Total posts: 233
    tonyk
    Up

I can’t stand it when other companies try to put down competing companies in a bid to make themselves look better. The products or services that you offer should do the talking.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Hate it when people use ‘prolly’. Sometimes I shout at the computer.

Matt Hanson
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Just for a laugh, I have a family member who speaks this way on facebook. Her mother is the same. I always have a laugh in bewilderment, but I enjoy working out the message too!

A message from the wall (name removed for privacy reasons)

“spendin the last hours wiv the famz b4 they fly out to nyt hmm big dae ahead gunna miss yues soo much [names removed] p.s how can i get this plane delayd like for EVA lolz xxxx”

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I kind of miss the sound of a dial up modem connecting to start the day….

joanbell
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I absolutely cannot stand it when otherwise intelligent people use the words BOUGHT and BROUGHT in the wrong context. I have heard prominent politicians, ABC radio/TV announcers, so called ‘gurus’ and ‘personalities’ as well as friends and relatives fall for this common ‘trend’.

For the information of those who don’t know the difference

I bought a new dress and brought it over to show you…..rather than I brought a new dress …..

Oddly enough these same people seem to have trouble with the letter ‘r’ in general. It is added or missed out of many other words. Poperty instead of Property is one such example.

Surely it can’t just be me and my partner that notice this?

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I hate it when people write teh instead of the, seemingly on purpose.

I makes no sense to me why you would, but i know a couple people who do it regularly, so it’s not just a typo!

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

:D. I’m a trained typist and I always type my text messages in full. My youngest (26) laughs at me and tells me my training shows. I think that’s a good thing too.

I’m also hot on email, especially with my Virtual Assistant team. I remind them their written (typed) word is on show 24/7 and that they should always conduct themselves professionally online.

I particularly hate it when I’ve sent an email, or posted a message online and come back to read it later and realise there’s a typo.

On my VA forum we often play word games and it’s interesting to learn the different meanings of words (let alone different spellings) from country to country.

tonyk
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 128109 wrote:
    :D. I’m a trained typist and I always type my text messages in full. My youngest (26) laughs at me and tells me my training shows. I think that’s a good thing too.

I’m also hot on email, especially with my Virtual Assistant team. I remind them their written (typed) word is on show 24/7 and that they should always conduct themselves professionally online.
    I particularly hate it when I’ve sent an email, or posted a message online and come back to read it later and realise there’s a typo.

On my VA forum we often play word games and it’s interesting to learn the different meanings of words (let alone different spellings) from country to country.

Agree wholeheartedly with this point. Everything a small business owner does online, whether it be business-related or not is a reflection of their business.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.