Home – New Forums Other discussions Calling all the dads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

I was just chatting with one of our columnists about the fact that a large part of the reason he left the corporate world and started his own business was for the work-life balance thing (essentially: more time with his kids).

I know this is true for so many men in the FS community …. but it’s not something we seem to read about a lot (we read a lot about women leaving the corporate world for this reason, but not men). So I was thinking I’d love to pull together a community piece for the main FS site around this topic.

If you’re a father and would like your thoughts/words to be featured/shared in this piece, could you answer the following questions below by Friday 29th May:

1. When did you leave the corporate world (how many years ago)
    2. Was the trigger for the decision more of a slow burn … or was there a straw that broke the camel’s back? Essentially: what ultimately made you decide ‘I’m doing this now’
    3. How has the change from corporate life to solo life made life better for you on the family front?
    4. Is there anything you miss?
    5. What would you say to anyone thinking about making the switch?

Thanks in advance!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I left 30 years ago from General manager Sales and Marketing for a group of 11 companies to a Cleaner

An opportunity came along for me to try something different and be my own boss so I took it. Fortunately my wife was working.

I still enjoy being involved in the cleaning industry, it has been good to me and I try to give something back

I dont miss a thing I have the freedom to do what I like change direction make decisions on the spot and only answer to me

Do it dont hesitate

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks for your comments [USER=58]@Burgo[/USER] :)

I’ll be interested to read comments from other dads too – anyone willing to put their hand up to help [USER=63738]@Kelly Exeter FS Editor[/USER] out?

Cheers,
    Jayne

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Would you like comments from someone who identified this early and is moving towards supporting a family outside the corporate world BEFORE having children?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    bb1, post: 214311, member: 53375 wrote:
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 214326, member: 2205 wrote:
    LOL – thanks [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] :rolleyes:
    LOL Jayne, thanks, I did write my story, but when I looked at it not sure if I want to have it published, as it is poorly written, and some things in there that make it complicated, I’ll think about it. But hey I did put my hand up..LOL
    Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Bert I would be more than happy to edit your story for you (and it doesn’t have to include everything). I’d love to get your POV for this piece.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 214315, member: 53049 wrote:
    Would you like comments from someone who identified this early and is moving towards supporting a family outside the corporate world BEFORE having children?

[USER=53049]@Hatching_It[/USER] I’d love that kind of perspective!

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up
    Burgo, post: 214154, member: 58 wrote:
    I left 30 years ago from General manager Sales and Marketing for a group of 11 companies to a Cleaner

An opportunity came along for me to try something different and be my own boss so I took it. Fortunately my wife was working.

I still enjoy being involved in the cleaning industry, it has been good to me and I try to give something back

I dont miss a thing I have the freedom to do what I like change direction make decisions on the spot and only answer to me

Do it dont hesitate
    Thanks [USER=58]@Burgo[/USER] – did the opportunity for you to be your own boss impact positively on your relationship with your kids? (apologies if I am making the assumption you have kids!)

Are there other things from a ‘life balance’ point of view that were impacted positively from moving out of the corporate world?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I missed the boat on this! My path into business went something like that. Let me know if you need anyone else.

Dave

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

[USER=49676]@FS Forum Support[/USER] boat is still at the dock – jump on board!!

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Hello to anyone reading this thread and thinking “I’d like to share my thoughts but don’t want to do it in a public forum” – feel free to email me your answers directly :) [email protected]

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

1. 4 years ago.
    2. It was a year or two coming (I think the seed was initially planted a couple of years before when I read The 4 Hour Work Week), then the final trigger came when my son Lewis was born. I was working long hours and was away from home a lot (in the mining industry). Work-life balance was already tough for me, let alone family life. I took time off indefinitely, and never went back.
    3. More time at home, flexible hours, and I still have Wednesdays off with Lewis. I’m happier, and what I like about business is you learn a lot about who you are and what you want out of life, because you seem to have to make life decisions far more often.
    4. No.
    5. Although you might be making the switch for lifestyle reasons I believe you need to focus squarely on the money issue from day 1. It may be hard to do if the decision that “money isn’t everything” is what allowed you to jump. But money is the fuel for your new dream. If your new path is threatened by financial pressure, and wavering support from your spouse, bringing in a bunch of cash will melt these issues, and make your new life sustainable and a source of happiness rather than stress.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

You’re the best [USER=49676]@FS Forum Support[/USER]!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.