Home – New Forums Starting your journey Can a non resident apply for an abn to start a buessiner here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alf
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Im sorry if the title doesnt make much sense, so i’ll try to summarize it.

My girlfriend is Canadian and currently is is residing here in Australia on a working holiday visa. She will have permanent residence after christmas, once we have been together for 12 months.

She is a qualified make up artist and worked for one of the leading companies in North America when she lived over there..

My question is, Can she apply for an abn to start working as a free lance make up artist prior to becoming a resident? I cant seem to find much info on it at all.. Or could we possibly register a joint venture?

My guess is we dont stand a chance.. but maybe someone has come across a similar scenario?

There is a lot of demand for her work, but we dont want to do anything under the radar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    /Alex

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I’ve no idea, but perhaps ringing to ask if there’s any conditions on her working visa against operating a business. And then ringing your states business center for advice.

I would put my money on “no” though.

spotty
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Pretty sure it’s a NO.

Alf
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks guys. One would think it couldnt happen, and honestly i didnt expect it to.

I guess the only thing we can do between now and Feb when she gains residence is prepare the business plans / prep work and other associated matters.

I have a meeting with my accountant in a fortnight, so i’m sure he’ll be able to assist.

Looking forward to the idea though.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Go to .the ATO website

Once she is permanent residence there is no problem. If she conducts a business in Australia and is a resident of another country then she will need an ABN

But either ask an accountant or check with the ATO

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

She can even get an abn if on a temporary visa ( a friend has one and she’s here on her husband’s 457 visa, not on a permanent)
    Not sure about work & holiday though.

Can’t she temp while waiting for her visa? I’m sure there are a few opportunities here, in theatre, opera, with photographers/stylists?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.