Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Can anyone advise me please?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Potts
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I am a candle maker. I use fragrance oils ‘inspired by’ designer perfumes. So far, selling as a hobby, I have labelled them for example: inspired by Romance by Ralph Lauren. I am looking to take my business to a much greater level, and realise that I need advice e the legalities of working with/labelling candles in these fragrances. Please help.

PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179
    Up
    Potts, post: 190378 wrote:
    I am a candle maker. I use fragrance oils ‘inspired by’ designer perfumes. So far, selling as a hobby, I have labelled them for example: inspired by Romance by Ralph Lauren. I am looking to take my business to a much greater level, and realise that I need advice e the legalities of working with/labelling candles in these fragrances. Please help.

Hopefully a patent lawyer will show up here. But in case they don’t, I suggest looking up the patents and trademarks website, as you are in serious danger of infringing these trademarks. They don’t care how small you are either, I feel it would be better to err on the side of caution than be sued.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It’s also possible to trademark a scent, so the labelling may be the least of your concerns.

RICHSTUDENT
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi there Potts,

Don’t think it’s legal for you to label them as such.

Because the fact that you’re using popular brand names, it might be misleading to some, as some might think of your brand had association with the popular brand names when that’s not the case

Also your intention of incorporating the popular company names into your products: is to ride on the popularity of the popular brand names..

Do it small for the meantime first as if you’re planning to go big on this, make sure you get advice from lawyers

To Your Success,

Dave

happyez
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    Potts, post: 190378 wrote:

Hi there

{IANAL} but my very first question to myself would be, “I am not sure how I could really get away with this…what are my options?”
    Before even starting to imagine these at some market stall of yours, I’d work out if you can. Because, to me, you are piggy-backing off their brand. But again, IANAL.

Is there another way you can market these, that is unique, but also would be very sale-able amongst all the other candles. I mean, a candle is a candle, but what else are you selling? An experience? A feeling that they would link to the candles?

That’s your better bet I reckon …

Harvey L
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Yea agree with the others that this could be very borderline. Would be best to consult lawyer.

I’m not sure how you’re selling it at the moment (is it in a market store or online?) but one way that you might be able to get around this could be to name your candle range something like “Inspired by luxury” or “Inspired by fashion” or “Inspired by design”. Then call each candle scent something vague like (Milan, Paris, NY etc) Explain to your customers that each scent is inspired by a high end label fragrance but don’t explicitly say which one is which (at least don’t write it down anywhere).

This way, you can create a sensory experience for your customers when they come in to smell all the candles and try to guess which high end fragrances it reminds them of. If they have a favorite perfume that they are very familiar with, they would have a lot of fun trying to pick it out. If they are not familiar with the designer perfume scents then labeling it as such wouldn’t appeal to them anyway so they’d just be happy picking the one that smells the best to them.

Reminds me of the Bols Muesuem in Amsterdam where the most popular exhibit was a smell test of all the Bols liqueurs and you had to try guess which flavor each of the bottles were. Was awesome fun and made me want to bring all the flavors I liked the smell of back to Aus!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.