Home – New Forums Other discussions Can anyone relate ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

After a few recent events, I’m just having one of those moments where I miss the old days as such.

The old days when the business was so new and exciting as a solo-entrepreneur

I’m at a cross roads.

I’m a little more than “over” the whole sub-contractor thing and honestly I’m not going down the employee road either because it just isn’t profitable … it’s another “job” (yet another hat to wear) when dealing with other people.

Making my business more like a job and the worst kind in the world – one I cannot leave! Believe it or not I had planned to take a 3 day holiday to Tasmania with a friend in early February. That fell thru because someone I was rely-ing upon to “be me” (or at least be a very bit help at the time) decided to drop the ball… even tho’ I told this other person about my plans LAST YEAR… even if this person was an employee I wouldn’t have been able to stop her.

I only started down this road because one Christmas season I had given out so many referrals. We are talking a good chunk. It made me think: what if I was able to keep those referrals ? what if I had people working with me under my business banner ?

I kinda want to go back to that person and slap myself for even thinking about it. Dealing with subbies (and I’ve been told by people who have employees in any business it’s not really that different if you have employees)…. it’s a headache. I’m sick of people letting me down. I’m sick of having to network just to find people to work with let alone network for my actual business !!

I’m thinking of going back to a one man band type of scenario. The only problem is… what happens when some of my good wonderful overnight pet sitting clients want me and I’m already booked ? What happens then ?

What happens when you have to turn down good clients because a new client or someone else has booked you ?

There are not that many professional house sitters on the Gold Coast. I’m in a big “niche” hence the reason I’m booked most weeks for overnighters esp. because I do accept one nighter overnight bookings.

I dunno. I’ve been feeling like this for awhile however I also had a dream that I would have a good snug little team of people working with my business…

Nevermind me I’m just venting.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Hi Vanessa,

Frustration sucks. I feel for you. Although I don’t have the solution I guess you need to ask yourself whether you are fundamentally feeling this way – or whether it’s an emotional reaction to being let down by your friend (combined with other possible factors).

Big decisions need to be made with a rational level head.

Good luck.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Hi Vanessa,

Frustration sucks. I feel for you. Although I don’t have the solution I guess you need to ask yourself whether you are fundamentally feeling this way – or whether it’s an emotional reaction to being let down by your friend (combined with other possible factors).

Big decisions need to be made with a rational level head.

Good luck.

Anonymous
    Up

It was just a “reaction” .. as after I spoke with someone who gave me some invaluable guidance by asking some great questions…..

I’m a lot more clearer now on everything.

Anonymous
    Up

It was just a “reaction” .. as after I spoke with someone who gave me some invaluable guidance by asking some great questions…..

I’m a lot more clearer now on everything.

autumncs
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Except to go through something like it every few years.

I’ve been in the current business for 12 years and a family business for over 25 years.

Employee’s/Subbies very simular. If the Subby is just working for you they can be classed as an casual employee.

I’ve been down both tracks. Subbies have worked then tried to take my customer, employee’s ending up not wanting to go on site (most of my work is on site) and want me to do it.

Some time I feel like I don’t want to be in business and most times it’s all good.

I hope the talk you had with your friend was helpful. One thing I have learnt is you need to talk to someone, even just to get it off your chest.

Regards

Tim Giles

autumncs
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Except to go through something like it every few years.

I’ve been in the current business for 12 years and a family business for over 25 years.

Employee’s/Subbies very simular. If the Subby is just working for you they can be classed as an casual employee.

I’ve been down both tracks. Subbies have worked then tried to take my customer, employee’s ending up not wanting to go on site (most of my work is on site) and want me to do it.

Some time I feel like I don’t want to be in business and most times it’s all good.

I hope the talk you had with your friend was helpful. One thing I have learnt is you need to talk to someone, even just to get it off your chest.

Regards

Tim Giles

Anonymous
    Up

Unlike other people in my industry, I’m very aware of the laws surrounding ICs aka sub-contractors. None of them work exclusively for me and I encourage them all (if they do not already) to find their own work too.

As mentioned, I’m doing okay now :-)

Anonymous
    Up

Unlike other people in my industry, I’m very aware of the laws surrounding ICs aka sub-contractors. None of them work exclusively for me and I encourage them all (if they do not already) to find their own work too.

As mentioned, I’m doing okay now :-)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Just on your first post

1. put your prices up

2. Block out times when you are not available – holidays/trips, whatever. Just treat it as booked out.

Every business has a peak capacity which cannot be increased without core changes and if you stay solo, that peak is pretty well defined.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Just on your first post

1. put your prices up

2. Block out times when you are not available – holidays/trips, whatever. Just treat it as booked out.

Every business has a peak capacity which cannot be increased without core changes and if you stay solo, that peak is pretty well defined.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I would recommend a chat with a business coach – having some input from someone outside the business who can look at things with a different viewpoint is a HUGE help!

And it doesn’t necessarily have to be an official business coach as such – I’ve just discovered my husband is excellent in this department. :)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I would recommend a chat with a business coach – having some input from someone outside the business who can look at things with a different viewpoint is a HUGE help!

And it doesn’t necessarily have to be an official business coach as such – I’ve just discovered my husband is excellent in this department. :)

Anonymous
    Up
    bridiej, post: 106507 wrote:

It was a business coach who helped me become “sorted”.

He asked me the questions that needed to be asked and made me make a decision that needed to be made primarily: am I intending the end result to be selling the business or passive/residual income ?

I chose the second option because he was hard with me that I couldn’t choose “whichever”.. I had to choose one or the other. That was key because I thought I could choose one or the other depending on whatever happens as such. That’s why I was frustrated. I didn’t and wasn’t really clear on my end goal.

Blocking out time will work eventually once I have an extra team member on board (sub-contractor) who can be the person to service “my” service area. I may need two people (one a pet sitter/dog walker the other an overnight house sitter) however would prefer if it was one person.

I also now have a clear goal of how many pet sits/dog walks etc so I can reach my goal minimum etc etc.

Anonymous
    Up
    bridiej, post: 106507 wrote:

It was a business coach who helped me become “sorted”.

He asked me the questions that needed to be asked and made me make a decision that needed to be made primarily: am I intending the end result to be selling the business or passive/residual income ?

I chose the second option because he was hard with me that I couldn’t choose “whichever”.. I had to choose one or the other. That was key because I thought I could choose one or the other depending on whatever happens as such. That’s why I was frustrated. I didn’t and wasn’t really clear on my end goal.

Blocking out time will work eventually once I have an extra team member on board (sub-contractor) who can be the person to service “my” service area. I may need two people (one a pet sitter/dog walker the other an overnight house sitter) however would prefer if it was one person.

I also now have a clear goal of how many pet sits/dog walks etc so I can reach my goal minimum etc etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.