Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Can moving to a new TLD boost search rankings?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up
    ::

Interesting article on the apparent search engine benefits of new top level domain names.

One of the big questions in SEO today is how new TLDs (top-level domains), like .LIVE, .NEWS or .ATTORNEY, are affecting search engine ranking.

One lawyer discovered that migrating from a .COM to a .ATTORNEY domain can drive organic traffic and save on SEM costs. @ Search Engine Land

Cheers
    Corey

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,384
    Up

Hi Corey,

I’m not convinced at all – I have read similar reports that suggest, like Google does, that serps are not affected.

There is a lot that can go wrong as well if the migration to a new TLD is not handled well.

But this “study” is not like for like – they built a whole new site – new content – new SEO strategy etc and it is “Sponsored Content” so it has the editorial legitimacy of , well… and ad.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Hi Paul,

I agree with you.

Google’s John Mueller chimes in (again) on claims about new TLDs helping search engine rankings. He felt the need to comment. (Mueller is quickly becoming the new Matt Cutts when it comes to SEO claims.)

More about it in this article

Cheers
    Corey

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

What does this even mean:

“Many will find that putting the domain name (and new TLDs) at the center of their strategy will drive traffic and search engine rankings”

Pretty skeptical about that article, particularly as it’s by a gTLD operator (surprise, surprise).

Cheers,
    Victor

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

It looks to me like the ranking power comes from the “Jacksonville” component of the domain name, not the “attorney” TLD.

Take “Jacksonville” out of the search query and I did not see the site in question on any page #1 results.

I also did not see any other “attorney” TLD in any search results.

Hardly conclusive but nothing to suggest any incorrect statements from Google.
    Regs,
    JohnW

cryofitness
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I see exact match domains doing well also.

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

I can certainly see city specific TLD’s being a benefit for users when they search. If you are looking for an accountant in Sydney and you see XYZAccounting.Sydney then you know you are probably on the right track. In saying this, if you already have a domain that has built up some authority and goodwill then it can be risky to migrate to a new domain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.