Home – New Forums Other discussions can someone help me out with ato issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rking100
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

hello, 1-2 years back i was going to start a small biz, i already had an existing sole trader abn, and i bought a one year business name registration. I did not register for GST.

from the beginning of this year every now and then i would get an ‘overdue activities statement’ sms, bill of $580, i thought this was just a scam until i got a letter in the mail that looks pretty legit.
    I did not carry out any business activities, and i only thought BAS was for gst reg businesses.

my business name is due to expire soon and i have noticed my abn has expired at the end of this year. not sure if this is related. i will contact ato although I just wanted to get some other advice.

cheers for any help.

Alex.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Yes, BAS is for GST registered businesses. Your first port of call is to ring the ATO, they are friendly and you can make sure there are no issues with them – and they would probably like to know about this scam.

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

Hi Alex, I would suggest either giving them a call or talking to a local accountant. They are usually very approachable when you call them so you should be able to sort it out quite quickly.

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Alex,
    The bill of $580 might be unlodged activity statement if you registered GST. You can register business portal to check the details or give ATO a call.
    If you did not have business activity to be lodged for the period, still you need to lodge as NIL. ATO issue penalty for non lodged activity statement.

Cancelled ABN: ATO does cancel ABN if no business schedule reported in personal tax return for certain time. You can always reactivate your ABN if you do carry business again.

You can call ATO to find out the details and explain to them that the activity statement (if any outstanding) is NIL and discuss with them and they might remit the penalty also.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.