Home – New Forums Starting your journey Can someone share Packaging slip template

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    PlanJapan
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    ::

Jason, I am sorry if you felt offended. It was not meant to offend or disrespect anyone, but I still stand by what I said – often, as an owner of a start-up, you hear that you shouldn’t cut corners on this/that. Sometimes, not cutting corners is not an option.

Not willing to risk more than what you can afford is definitely NOT giving up on yourself, this is a ridiculous proposition. As a single parent, I would never borrow against my property, for example, and risk the financial security that comes with being a home owner. That doesn’t mean that I do not believe in my product, or myself. For me, it is a matter of launching NOW or launching in 2 years time. It is a no brainer which route one should go down to.

A lot of very successful people stand by the same advice – only risk what you can afford to lose.

And there is a lot to be said for lean startup philosophy, too. The time to launch is now, and it is better to act and learn through mistakes than delay forever or risk your and your children’s livelihood.

Has Naomi made a mistake with her choice of online provider? Perhaps. But no need for jabs that her cheap solution is costing her already. She spent what she could afford. I also agree that there are just too many ecommerce platforms to design your own, but money has already been spent. For her cute children’s product, perhaps she should have set up a quick shop in Shopify.

Forward planning is great. But if sales take off, so will revenue. Then, she can hire consultants and get a entire shopping solution quickly configured for her. She just needs to be educated about pre-fab options. But I think people are over-dramatizing the situation and planting fear and doubt into her mind.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    1911naomi, post: 214650, member: 64208 wrote:
    Thanks again. back when i was looking into options i couldn’t afford $1k-$5k on a website and i didn’t like any templates so this was the alternative option i went with. Its almost finished and ready to launch so will leave it as is for now. However its good to look into forward planning, i don’t understand about if i need to expand it is it simple. At this stage if i need to upload more products/photos i am able to do this myself as i would have to using eccommerce programs.
    What other forward planning is there to be aware of, i don’t mean to sound naive I’m only 6 months into “starting a business” so its all new to me.

Hi Naomi,

For myself, it’s easy for me to forget that not everyone uses these kinds of programs everyday like I do, so my apologies if I keep skipping over things quickly (it’s one of my worst habits/traits!)

For me, it was important that from day 1, I knew what my processes would be so that I wouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel every time the business grew a little bit. Here’s some things that I thought about..

• Shipping: I hate writing postage labels and have quite possibly the worst handwriting on the planet, so it was important that I had an automated process for handling shipping labels
    • Customer notifications: I wanted emails to be sent automatically each time I updated orders or posted something.
    • Payments: I wanted customers to be processing their own payments, no looking through lines of bank records for me thank you!
    • Bookkeeping/Accounting: Which system would I use for monitoring my various expenses (product,duty,freight,insurance,packaging/cartage/postage/etc) and tracking income etc.
    • Stock levels: How would I ensure that I new how much stock on hand I had, predict when I needed to order new stock, don’t let customers purchase out of stock products.
    • Social integration: How could I get my customers to promote my business themselves
    • Remarketing: How could I remarket to customers that had bought from me
    • Returns: How do I manage return requests and track where they’re up to? (This was a huge headache when I had a bad batch of one of my products and I had a return rate of about 20% of them for a couple of months – I didn’t have an RMA manager until then)
    • Website/visitor tracking/analytics – How would I know which pages on my site work, what people click on, where they scroll too etc.

I started my business by raising money from selling a whole bunch of my old video games and stupidly started them all at exactly the same time, so they finished at exactly the same time. I learned pretty quickly what I needed to automate when I had about 30 sales to process and fulfil (all manually) at 9pm on a Sunday night!

There are also so awesome ideas in the Shopify blog (even if you don’t use them) http://www.shopify.com.au/blog – A great starting point is using VistaPrint to prnt off some business cards with a discount coupon on the back. Include that with every purchase and hopefully you’ll get some customers to come back if you entice them with 5% off etc.

1911naomi
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

eek, sorry everyone.

Always appreciate everyones input especially as everyone has so much more experience in these areas or just starting/running a business in general.

yes, i am now stressed have i made the right decision. However i love the way the websites looking, I’m meant to launch soon and this lady has spent so much time on the website – i am willing to give it a go.

As mentioned it is a small business so worse case i will just sell off Facebook, maybe i should of just gone down this simple path in the first place.

When starting out 6 months ago i had no idea what i needed in a website, how many pages, that i even needed shipping labels and automatic invoices, that i would even need a mobile website.

I had no product photos, content etc and looking into website programs such as shoptify and the others out there it was really hard to visualise how my 1 product in 4 colors would work with the templates provided. I got quite a few quotes which were in the $2-$5k range and i thought i would see what other options were out there for me. (thats the reason i didn’t start with shoptify etc in the first place, i signed up for lots of free trials but maybe was my lack of imagination as to why it didn’t work for me at that time).

Maybe i am making the wrong decision and if so i will admit it and work on the solution at that time.(and post on here in panic mode).

However again i always appreciate everyones input especially Jason, Matthew and Bert who are always willing to spend their time giving advice.

Thanks again

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    PlanJapan, post: 214667, member: 63982 wrote:
    Jason, I am sorry if you felt offended. It was not meant to offend or disrespect anyone, but I still stand by what I said – often, as an owner of a start-up, you hear that you shouldn’t cut corners on this/that. Sometimes, not cutting corners is not an option.

Not willing to risk more than what you can afford is definitely NOT giving up on yourself, this is a ridiculous proposition. As a single parent, I would never borrow against my property, for example, and risk the financial security that comes with being a home owner. That doesn’t mean that I do not believe in my product, or myself. For me, it is a matter of launching NOW or launching in 2 years time. It is a no brainer which route one should go down to.

A lot of very successful people stand by the same advice – only risk what you can afford to lose.

And there is a lot to be said for lean startup philosophy, too. The time to launch is now, and it is better to act and learn through mistakes than delay forever or risk your and your children’s livelihood.

Has Naomi made a mistake with her choice of online provider? Perhaps. But no need for jabs that her cheap solution is costing her already. She spent what she could afford. I also agree that there are just too many ecommerce platforms to design your own, but money has already been spent. For her cute children’s product, perhaps she should have set up a quick shop in Shopify.

Forward planning is great. But if sales take off, so will revenue. Then, she can hire consultants and get a entire shopping solution quickly configured for her. She just needs to be educated about pre-fab options. But I think people are over-dramatizing the situation and planting fear and doubt into her mind.

Ok so this is my second post in 1 day on same thread by same person that I take offence to again.

I am so apologetic but your comments are just baloney! No one is telling Naomi that she has done anything wrong not taking a jab at her and not are they telling her to spend more money (which is what your argument appears to be about). Merely advising to look ahead.

You compare spending more money than you are willing to lose, so if Naomi could build platform A for $500 and platform B for $500 with be being the better option are you saying that we should not provide advice on this?

And my comment about ‘backing oneself’ wasn’t saying you did not, and as you are consciously aware, spending money in the right place is so so so important.

Unfortunately you appear to have completely misread my reply (replies) as I dont recall saying that if you don’t spend more than you can afford you are giving up on yourself. I do recall saying that if I some people only spend $500 that they can walk away if it doesn’t proceed. I can see how you may have linked that yo monetary comments, but it was not about how much one spends but a mind set.

Also, I am not sure why you are talking about mortgages, financing and the liles other than this appears to be on your mind as I don’t think it’s on anyone else’s. By the way, have you read any other posts by Naomi about her progression to this awesome business? Such as deciding in which web site etc? Just curious.

Naomi could have built a woocommerce site and be up and running for 12 months with SSL for around $200 if she wanted to. But that’s irrelavant.

Each and every reply had been provided as a thought, feedback and guidance.

On a different note, I love your philosophy on spending for your business and that many others also support not spending more than you can lose. So true, although it is a wiser person that spends on what is important and priorities appropriately as to ensure maximum ROI. Sometimes, people overlook this and plough money into stock or extensions of stock before ensuring revenue is there in the first place. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Cheerio
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    1911naomi, post: 214676, member: 64208 wrote:
    eek, sorry everyone.

Always appreciate everyones input especially as everyone has so much more experience in these areas or just starting/running a business in general.

yes, i am now stressed have i made the right decision. However i love the way the websites looking, I’m meant to launch soon and this lady has spent so much time on the website – i am willing to give it a go.

As mentioned it is a small business so worse case i will just sell off Facebook, maybe i should of just gone down this simple path in the first place.

When starting out 6 months ago i had no idea what i needed in a website, how many pages, that i even needed shipping labels and automatic invoices, that i would even need a mobile website.

I had no product photos, content etc and looking into website programs such as shoptify and the others out there it was really hard to visualise how my 1 product in 4 colors would work with the templates provided. I got quite a few quotes which were in the $2-$5k range and i thought i would see what other options were out there for me. (thats the reason i didn’t start with shoptify etc in the first place, i signed up for lots of free trials but maybe was my lack of imagination as to why it didn’t work for me at that time).

Maybe i am making the wrong decision and if so i will admit it and work on the solution at that time.(and post on here in panic mode).

However again i always appreciate everyones input especially Jason, Matthew and Bert who are always willing to spend their time giving advice.

Thanks again
    Naomi

You have nothing to apologise for, unfortunately i got my nose out of joint from one of the replies who didn’t really appear to know the ‘journey’ you have taken with a few of us in here! And I do say unfortunately as it takes a bit for me to be offended, normally.

Ask ask and ask. Business is about the learning curve, be it gradual or steep although you certainly appear to be one who is willing to experience what you feel is right and then if not move on :) it’s a win/win for you and your business.

Can’t wait to see everything… Even the web site, cos your FB page showed some great samples and the colour pallettes are beautiful.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Hi Naomi,

I’ve recently created something very similar to what you’ve described.
    It can be downloaded here: http://bluepenguin.com.au/helpful-info/pdf-packing-slip-delivery-docket-template.html

If you end up using it, I’d really appreciate your feedback. It hasn’t been tested much yet, so there may be some bugs present…

Cheers!

1911naomi
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

Hi Steve,
    Thanks this is what i am after.
    I love it.
    I have replied to your message.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.