Home – New Forums Tech talk Can someone tell me what’s going on here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up
    ::

There is a site, and when I visit it, it SOMETIMES redirects to dodgy foreign sites. Another friend has seen the same. But it’s not every time. It seems to come and go. And it’s not every user, other friends have tried and it’s not redirected for them. It seems to make no difference the browser.

Is it malware on MY computer (and the friends seeing it redirect too) or on THEIR website?

Anthony Michaud
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

Too hard to tell from this limited information, although if it is happening on other computers/browsers, you either both have the same malicious software, or it is not on your computers. This could be something on the site, or even on the advertising that is on the site? If you’ve got one dodgy advert in a big loop, you’d get redirected only once for each displayed advert. Try CTRL+F5 (hard refresh) on the site 10-20 times. See if you get redirected?

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

Thank you!

joelwarren
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I’ve seen malware code injection on sites that redirect after certain number of page views and from specific referrer’s i.e. if someone enters the site from a google search. Sneaker buggers make it hard to pinpoint sometimes. If it’s your site and you’re using wordpress there are a few good malware scanning plugins – wordfence and sucuri

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

My gut says its most likely your computer, if the website had been hacked it would always redirect.

Steve

tf76
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    MsLilyPonds, post: 239948, member: 18237 wrote:
    There is a site, and when I visit it, it SOMETIMES redirects to dodgy foreign sites. Another friend has seen the same. But it’s not every time. It seems to come and go. And it’s not every user, other friends have tried and it’s not redirected for them. It seems to make no difference the browser.

Is it malware on MY computer (and the friends seeing it redirect too) or on THEIR website?

Install the Adblock Plus extension in GC and see if it does it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.